PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Dogs, How Do They Know?

Sid_Vicious
09-20-2003, 09:38 AM
I grew up with dogs, and as a kid with a 22 I just accepted that the dog was wanting to hunt, and it did get excited when it saw my gun, figuring it was the human-animal bout it was ecxited for since we'd gone many times. Now though I'm puzzled. I have a red heeler I got as a puppy and the dog goes ballistic everytime I pull out any gun, yelping and running at the trees. I also have a Veezla, a bulgarian hunting dog as I understand, and the gun does zilch, always has. I just today pulled out a few adult airguns after maybe 3 years of dormancy and the heeler went ballistic again! How is it that a dog that NEVER knew hunting(I never hunted with it, and it was a puppy when I got her) knows that a hunt is in the picture? Any ideas...sid

Qtec
09-20-2003, 09:53 AM
They have dogs for people who suffer from epilepsy. The dog can sense if the person is going to have an attack before it happens. It gives the person[ maybe driving a car ] the chance to prepare.

Dogs react to body language and smell. In the case mentioned, there is a chemical change in the body that the dor can smell.

You have good hunting dogs and dogs that are less good. Youre dog reacts to your signals eg, you get your gun out 'Oh boy, I'm goin huntin". He reads your signals [ smells your adrenaline ] and because he is genetically predisposed to hunting [ instinct ] he is 'over the moon with joy'. Its what HE would choose to do , every day.

Apparently, a border collie [ English sheepdog ] is about as close you can get to a wo;f, qua character ] as you can get. They do everything the same as wolves except they dont make the kill.

Even dogs are individuals. I have never had two dogs that were the same, character wise.

Q

Somehow I knew you were a dog lover.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-20-2003, 10:05 AM
Does GW go hunting with his English Springer Spaniel?

Candyman
09-20-2003, 10:09 AM
It is all part of God's Perfect Plan! If you had a Lab pup and he was kept away from water all of its life, and he finally saw a pond, what do you think he would do? Each species on earth, including us, has their on special instincts. However, every living thing has differences. It is truly amazing when you think about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
09-20-2003, 10:20 AM
C-man...My confusion come from the two different dogs though, one is labeled a hunting dog by name and the Austrailian Sheppard as I understand it is known for herding, but the AS was the automatic hunter, first glipmse ever of a gun and she went to yelping. The Vezla never got excited, but I'll say this...the Vezla is the smartest, keenest smelling dog I have ever been witness to. I could tell stories on that dog...sid

SPetty
09-20-2003, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> ...the Vezla is the smartest, keenest smelling dog I have ever been witness to. I could tell stories on that dog...<hr /></blockquote>We had a yellow lab that could smell moles underground. She would dig and follow the mole trail until she found it. I watched one time as she dug, throwing the dirt between her legs, and the hapless mole got thrown with the dirt! While Goldie was still digging for the mole (she could smell, but wasn't all that sharp), the mole crawled away - making a squiggley line that went on for about 50 feet - with some hard turns - until the other dog Annie (the only lab I've known that hated water, BTW) grabbed the mole and took off with it.

In the meantime, Goldie realized that the mole wasn't there any more, and I watched as she perfectly traced the route that the mole took - all the twists and turns - with her nose stuck to the ground until the point where Annie picked up the mole! It was amazing to see (but now that I've written it, a boring story... I guess you had to be there...)

Sid_Vicious
09-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Ok I have to tell this one on Rebel. He loved to chase sticks, yea like yours Susan, same relentless fetch and return with his rigid body, stick clamped in his jaws, nudging you to play. Well, once I thought about how Rebel really sensed by his smell, so I went out back on my property where the johnson grass was about waist chest high on me, I had cut a one swath lane with the mower previously, and while he and I skated down the lane, him a good 20-30' leading and not looking back, I tossed the well chewed stick over my left shoulder, never breaking stride and paying atention to whether he picked up on it. We walked the path to the fence line some 20 yards further on, and when we came back the dog immediately diverted where I'd thrown the stick, and bee-lined out in the tall grass directly to the stick resting 20 feet or so in the 4 foot grass. I was simply astounded, can't say more...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
09-20-2003, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>

...It was amazing to see (but now that I've written it, a boring story... I guess you had to be there...)
<hr /></blockquote>

I liked your story Spetty /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

They say about the only way to get rid of moles is get a terrier and let him loose.

We're going to get another dog eventually but are in no hurry. I figure one will find me. You know either a stray or somebody has to get rid of one or something.

Barbara
09-20-2003, 01:08 PM
I liked your story, too! I thought that was hilarious about tracking that mole!

Barbara

cheesemouse
09-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Great!!! I love dog stories...I have nothing to do sooo....here's mine.

Mat was a Hienz 57 dog about fifty pounds and loved to fetch, he would retrieve anything. I was working the restaurant at closing and when I closed I let a few friends stay behind while I did the cash. I had let Mat inside, he was the parking lot meets and greets guy while I worked. We were sitting around relaxing and talking in the dark when Mat came up and dropped a match stick on my knee ( we had little boxes of wooden matches as give aways ), I took the match, told Mat to sit and then flung the match stick into the darkness. I snapped my finger and Mat went into the darkness only to return minutes later with a match stick.

My buddy said "that isn't the same match stick is it? He continued "there must be hundreds of those match sticks laying on the floor ( we had had a Blue Grass Band that night ).

"Of course it is" I replied. He didn't believe me but Mat and I had done this routine many many times before. I said "find a match stick and mark it with this ball point". He did and I made Mat sit giving him one sniff, I threw the match out into the darkness then made him sit for a full two or three minutes before I released him with a snap of the fingers. Off he goes returning in a few minutes with the marked match. It was cool, my friends were impressed. Mat kept them entertained while I did the books......Mat was a goooooooood boooooooooy!!!!!

Popcorn
09-20-2003, 07:45 PM
One belief that is now being studied is that animals may possibility pass on learned information genetically. If this is true, it creates an evolutionary progression. Each generation will be smarter then the previous generation and not just repeat the same primitive instincts.

Sid_Vicious
09-20-2003, 09:54 PM
I figure that is true, for some reason animals have genetics making it possible for this one, and the farm dogs I had, natural born hunters. Like kids having a Grandma "brain cell" even before they knew Grandma...sid

Aboo
09-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Ok, here's my dog story... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When I was a boy on my families farm, my uncle and his family would come and visit us every summer. The big conversion van would come rolling down our 1/2 mile lane and out would leap this HUGE Great Dane. This was the ORNERIEST dog I have ever known in my life. It chewed everything that was smaller than he was and some things that weren't, which was pretty much everything :P

Anyway, this dog liked to play fetch. So my mom always made us play with him constantly to keep him from destroying our house. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One day, we went down to the crick and were throwing sticks into the water and this dog would leap off the bank and chase the stick down stream and bring it back. We headed down to the swimming hole and were messing around and started chucking rocks into the water... guess what? The dog fetched them! Off the bottom of the creek! But not the same rocks... oh no.

You could toss in a little pebble, and he would bring back up the biggest rock he could fit his mouth around! It was hilarious! Running water, six feet deep, deeper in some spots. And this dog would go in head first and bring up rocks at LEAST the size of his own head! LOL

Rod
09-22-2003, 02:44 PM
Oh ok dog stories, I got a couple. We lived on a farm and our trusty old dog run off. That's it, a true story! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

OK, I worked for a car dealer. He had a dog there, I have no idea who this dog belonged to he was just there and everybody fed him. He was black and part Lab for sure. This dog liked to play fetch the tire. We would roll VW tires and he would chase them down and bring them back. Sometimes they were straight out from his mouth! The dog, not all that big, had an amazing grip and his neck was huge. He never got tired of chasing the tire even in 110 degree heat. We teamed up on him to wear him out but never did. You could tell he was about to drop from exaustion, but then we were worn out too.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
09-23-2003, 06:44 AM
Dug this up from the archives. Stop me if you've heard it already
---------------------------------
I swear to you this is a true story.

I was married in a previous life. At night we would put the 2 cats (hers) and the dog (mine) in the basement. One Saturday morning at 5:00 a.m. my dog climbed up to the top of the steps and started barking. She never did that previously. I went to see what was wrong. When I opened the door I smelled gas. The lady that had lived in the house previously had a gas stove in the basement she used for canning. It had those big wing-nuts on the front that turned the gas on. One of the cats had jumped up and turned one with her paw apparently. I turned off the gas, opened all the windows and took the dog to McDonald's for a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit w/ hash brown.

She was a English Springer Spaniel and I thought she was dumb until then.