PDA

View Full Version : What is the best strategy for 8-Ball, for 9-Ball?

preacherman
04-10-2002, 06:55 AM
I guess I'm want some opinions or pro's to step up and answer this one. As we know 8-ball and 9-ball are worlds
apart as games.

Can you list the best strategy (under "normal" circumstance) in playing 8-ball?

Can you list the best strategy (under "normal" circumstance) in playing 9-ball?

I'm interested in the feedback on this one - LOL

Jim (Preacherman)

cheesemouse
04-10-2002, 09:15 AM
Preacherman,
Having faith that you will not think I'm being glib the best strategy for both games is to find your best shot and then trust yourself to execute same. This simple strategy follows and changes in relationship to the situation and your new skill levels.

Jay M
04-10-2002, 03:07 PM
both games - clear the lanes to the pockets as soon as possible so that you have a chance to run. If you have a problem ball that you can't get moved, duck...

Don't try to race the cue around the table, a tightly controlled cue ball is much preferable to turning it loose.

9-ball - make the shots. It sounds self-evident, but too many times a shot is missed and the leave is perfect. Concentrate on the shots and treat the leaves as a secondary concern. If you are consistently making the shots, then just take your time and run out.

8-ball - More traffic on the table, leaves become more important as does making sure the lanes are clear. Play angle position, as opposed to spot position. If there isn't a clear run, don't be afraid to turn down a shot in favor of a safe that will move your problem ball around and get you a better chance of a run the next time around.

Jay M

stickman
04-10-2002, 06:41 PM
Jay M, excellent advice! The nine ball advice really hit home here. I hate to think how many times I've missed an easy shot and gotten perfect position on the next ball. It's maddening! But getting better. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Doctor_D
04-10-2002, 06:43 PM
Good evening:

The "Best" advice given to me has been; Know your game, Play your game, and do not be afraid to miss with confidence.

Dr. D.

04-10-2002, 10:45 PM
Jim...Here is honestly the VERY best strategy for ANY pool game, regardless of circumstances: DON'T MISS...the other guy CANNOT win! LOL Seriously, Jim, like I told you last week, you must learn to improve your stroke before strategy will have that much meaning.

Scott Lee

Chris Cass
04-11-2002, 04:18 AM
Hi Preach,(long)
First, I don't think there is a normal game of 8 or 9ball.

I can tell you this. When it's your shot. First, look to see where the 8ball is located. Second, look at the balls surrounding the 8ball. The balls around the 8ball, might be the ones you want. If it's open table, look to see what balls are most open. Then, look to see the trouble balls.

If it's pretty much runable, then start from the top of the table and work you way down, to the 8ball. You don't want to have to go back up table then, back down for the 8. If you don't have a clear path, to a run and one or more balls of yours is tied up. Then, move a break out ball near them, and play safe if possible? For the BIH.

If your run looks good and you get down to the last 2 balls and notice your out of line to get on the final ball before the 8? Don't shoot it. There's slim to no chance of winning if you sink all your balls and leave one out, that's tied up. Your opponent will chew you up with safties.

If you choose to run out, always try to leave yourself in the position to make 2 shots at a time. If you get bad then you can shoot, the other. Don't be afraid to change your pattern.

If the table looks pretty messed up? Both strip and solid balls are tied up, then choose one and work your way to a safe. If it's early in the rack and can't see the run, then tie up your opponents ball with yours or a pocket.

Sometimes, you can play safe. Pushing your opponent's ball into a safe position and give him or her, ball in hand. As long as it's away from a posible breakout shot for them. Maybe, you might push one of yours onto theirs to get the safe, without giving up BIH. If you have a ball that's tied up with theirs already then, you could always tie up another or push your ball over to the trouble area for a breakout ball later.

Most often, the players with the most balls left on the table, wins. This is due to mental mistakes. This is why you don't run down to the last ball without, having a shot to make it. Your dead in the water.

If your opponent has balls on the rail near a corner pocket? You may put your ball or the 8ball in the jaws. That will help win. If your playing a opponent that likes to slam balls then definitly put the 8 hanging in the jaws.

Don't be silly and break out your trouble ball too early. If you have open shots, then place yourself in the position of the breakout when you need to. Don't open, his or her balls out and miss.

If you get the roll out? Then, roll out to a bank if there's isn't an open shot. Never to a makable shot, unless there's no chance of getting position to make another. You can also roll out, to play a safe too.

That's all I can think of for 8ball. I'm not really a good 8ball player. I don't play enough of it. If you pick out a pattern and get out of line. Then, don't be afraid to reevaluate your pattern and go another way. Too many players get out of line then, stick with the same pattern and blow it. Don't be afaid to change it.

9ball

Know the rules, BCA, Texas Express, whatever. First look for the location of the 9ball. Look for a pattern. Don't ever jump first. Always pushout to a jump or a bank. Don't make the 1 ball, if the 2 is unmakable.

If it's possible to play a safe on the 1 ball running it down to a 9ball combo, then do it. Always try to get on the long side of the shot unless you have to play short side. Always look at the entire rack and play 3 balls atleast ahead.

Remember, if you get ball in hand, place the cb close to the ob and play the cb for position, on the next shot. I see far too many people that shoot from, too far away. If you get BIH make the ball in the closest pocket or the biggest pocket. If you have a cluster to breakout? Then play down to the open ball, then safe it for the breakout, when you get BIH.

Remember when playing safe, try to lock the ball frozen to another. If not there's a good posibility the ball could easily be banked on the same angle it was safe'd on.

If you have a combo on the 9ball and a table that's wide open. A lot of times it's easier to run them out. Combo's look good but are also dangerous too. The odds of running out may be better.

If your playing a shot and the carom on the 9ball looks good too. Stick to making one shot. Either go for the carom or go for the ob. If you don't commit yourself. You'll shoot down the middle for sure, and miss both.

Do all your thinking while standing. Don't adjust your english while, your in the shooting position. If you change your mind when in the shooting position, then your thinking, and that is done in the upright position.

If someone walks by and it takes your mind off the shot? Then stand up and get back down again, your thinking. The only thought you should have is making the ball and that your stroke is straight and your body is still. The only thing moving is from the elbow down.

If playing a 2 way shot. Play the ob, where you want it to go. The mind will lock in where whitey's going or you'll end up missing the ob and getting the position. The strategy is to be commited on every shot you play. Not guessing or wishing but devoted to making it happen mentally.

Well, that's it for me. I'm tuckered out.
LOL,
C.C.~~going off in the preaching mode, sorry......there's entirly too many areas to this to cover and most take time and experience. You writing this stuff down Kato? I'll be using it on you one day. LOLLOL

04-11-2002, 04:30 AM
I assume you are referring to the first inning following the break. I follow the steps listed, at any time during the game some will still apply.

1. Walk around and look for balls that need to be opened up.
2. If more than one cluster I may opt for a safety play that will open at least one cluster.
3. If a run out looks good what is last ball to shoot before the eight?
4. Decide on a pattern that will get me to that last ball.

Early, I try to position for a second ball (outside of my chosen pattern) that will give me a new pattern plan in case I come up short or long in position. Later in the game with fewer balls on the table I better run out because in 8 ball it is hard to hide with just a few balls on the table. If I miss after shooting 4-5 balls during the run out I expect to lose that game.

I don't play 9 ball enough to comment on it.

Kato
04-11-2002, 07:01 AM
Pretty tough to do all that stuff when the only time you get out of your chair is to buy me another beer!!!!!!!

Kato~~~In to deep

Chris Cass
04-11-2002, 01:31 PM
Hi Kato,
I'm a firm believer in exersize through relaxation. I'll give the bartender $50.00 and keep the beers and shots coming, what's left over he or she can keep. LOL

Just think, that's only a small portion of the stuff that goes through my head. LOL The rest is censored.

Regards,

C.C.~~we should just drink till we can't shoot and on the last game who's ever not laughing, get's the bucket. LMAO

SPetty
04-11-2002, 03:40 PM
Hi Chris,

I hate to butt in here to your "woofing" party, but this sounds like a deal that I could handle! Make sure you look me up if you're ever in the north Texas area! I've *never* had enough to drink that I couldn't shoot!

SPetty ~~ When I win, you have to share the censored part!

cheesemouse
04-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Count me in, beer with brandy back, please.

Rod
04-11-2002, 04:42 PM
SPetty, That sounds like a challenge! If someone told me it was a deal that they could handle, I might believe them. However, I've "never" had so much to drink that I couldn't play pool. Now how well I play might be in question. Um what balls did you say I was shooting?

SpiderMan
04-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Spetty,

There are several of us in that area. Where are you, exactly?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> Hi Chris,

I hate to butt in here to your "woofing" party, but this sounds like a deal that I could handle! Make sure you look me up if you're ever in the north Texas area! I've *never* had enough to drink that I couldn't shoot!

SPetty ~~ When I win, you have to share the censored part! <hr></blockquote>

Cuemage
04-11-2002, 06:37 PM
I've probably got this backwards...but I try to run out every time in 8-ball...it just seems to be easier...in 9-ball, i play more safes b/c it's tougher to run out some racks.

tha Cuemage

Voodoo Daddy
04-11-2002, 06:43 PM
You two guys are a lil too chummy these days for me. Whats up with that? I feel a 2 on 1 coming down the pike soon...Voodoo needs to beef up some to deal with seedy characters like CC and Kato.

Voodoo...on too many vitamans for own good

Chris Cass
04-12-2002, 12:15 AM
Oh,
The minute I mention free drinks you show up to post. LMBO Here's the deal Voodoo. We all go down to Texas, me you and that ankle biter Kato. I'll bring the cigars.

We grab Rod and Leonard #### on the way. Get Spiderman, SPetty, Cheesemouse and Howie and head for the nearest PH with alchohol. Ron M. can get Stretch and meet us. LOL

We'll, get Fran, Barbara, Carol and Dr. D. to watch. We'll, get totally blasted while we play. The last one to fall down or pass out, wins. We'll put up $50.00 a piece and the winner gets the doe. I'll put up $200. for the drinks. Hope it's enough? LOL

Afterwards, we'll go to breakfast on the winner. If anyone but the ladies, can even look at food? We'll take pictures of all the losers after we shave there heads and adorn them with bar nuts. Then post them as an example of not to meet us, in public. HAHAHAHA Couldn't you see Kato taking it off? That would be funny.LOLLOLLOL

Sounds good?
C.C.~~Not bringing the South West for sure. Doubles for Voodoo. I'm not that stupid. LMBO Glad to see Voodoo's post.

cheesemouse
04-12-2002, 03:55 AM
You got my action........rack in the back and another rooound please heheheehhee!!

Chris Cass
04-12-2002, 08:43 AM
I knew I could count on you Cheese. Don't drive the Caddy, I'd rather the night be safe. This is one time a pre-shot routine won't be neccessary. LOLLOL
Best Regards,
C.C.

preacherman
04-12-2002, 06:46 PM
Scott,
I probably would have taking a little offense to your response, but having met you I know you have my best interest in mind. I am and will continue to work on my stroke, but just as bad playing habits are hard to break, so would a bad/wrong strategy.

So I would still like to know what is the BEST strategy for 8-ball, and also for 9-ball?

By the way I just received the video "How To Play Pool Right" by Jerry Briesath. As you recommended. Thanks for telling me about this video, and I will watch it repeatedly.

P.S. I got it at a low price on E-BAY.

Jim :-)

04-14-2002, 07:39 AM
You name the date, I'll be there, Chris. Can I add a few people to the mix? I have a few in mind I'd like to see with shaved heads adorned with bar nuts. I'll bring the glue.

Fran

Barbara
04-14-2002, 10:33 AM
Count me in!!

Barbara~~~bring extra tubes of Super Glue, too...

04-14-2002, 10:46 AM
Jim, you may find this response to be vague and not specific enough, but without yet reading any of the other responses, my response to your question is that regardless of either game you're playing - the best strategy is the strategy that MAXIMIZES your chances of WINNING each and every game.

What I mean by that is for every shot decision you make during the match, you must be able to accurately assess the strengths and weaknesses of your own game, of your opponent's game, the equipment you are playing on, and all the other factors that may come in to play. After having taken all these factors in to consideration, you must then have the knowledge, discipline (and experience) to make the correct choice and play the proper shot in terms of the percentages - and then execute it to your best ability with full commitment.

I know it sounds simplified, but really it's impossible to determine the best specific strategy to be used - as it depends so much on all the variables. - Chris in NC

Chris Cass
04-14-2002, 01:25 PM
Fran and Barbara,

You sweethearts make my day. You can bring as many players that need a lesson in respect or humility. Howie and Leonard are the designated drivers and can take the pictures. LOL

Some that used to post here, I might just pay their entry too. Sometimes it's better to pay for them, to take a lesson, to avoid prosecution. LOL

Your Friend for life,

C.C.