PDA

View Full Version : Is there a lesson to be learned here? ouch...

nAz
09-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Got this off of AzBilliard.com, if accurate its gotta hurt and maybe teach Pagulayan and others a lesson.

Keith made his way to the hill first at 10-8, but a missed 8-ball let Pagulayan back in where he quickly finished up that rack and the next to tie the score at 10. By the time, the noise level of the match was enough that the TV Cameras had turned to this table to watch the final game. Alex made a ball on the break and saw the balls stop rolling to a wide open table. Alex confidently announced "This is an easy run" and promptly missed the first ball. McCready ran out the game and took the match 11-10.

Anyway glad to see kMcC. is doing well!

Sid_Vicious
09-20-2003, 12:00 PM
Reminds me of a story I heard yesterday from an A++ player(at a minimum) I shoot with all of the time. He and a partner playing for cash sets were on the hill-hill game, my friend rolled straight in on the nine in the corner, CB 2 feet from the OB, and then while bending down on the shot turned his head and asked friendly-like to his partner, "Well can you help me any better?" and got the humorous reply, "Well I try." He then fouled with an early bump on the CB on his pre stroke for the cash, OUCH! sid~~~talking during a run is a no-no

Rod
09-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Tells me he tried to boost his own confidence. There's no need, let the cue do the talking. It also tells me he's cocky and not real brilliant.

Rod

Qtec
09-20-2003, 08:58 PM
"Its never over till its over."

Q

stickman
09-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Yep, it's always the easy shot, or in this case the easy run, that gets you. Don't take any shot for granted. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif It's happened to me more often than I'd like to admit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

griffith_d
09-21-2003, 07:37 AM
"Talking to the balls", usually gives confidence,...but you just have to look out for getting a too big of dose.

Griff

nAz
09-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Does anyone know if this happen on a TV match? I'd love to see it.

RedHell
09-24-2003, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the noise level of the match was enough that the TV Cameras had turned to this table to watch the final game. <hr /></blockquote>

From this I understand that it was not, but maybe we'll get the last game !

Fred Agnir
09-24-2003, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> Does anyone know if this happen on a TV match? I'd love to see it. <hr /></blockquote>

I think someone already told the story, but this wasn't really a TV match. Bustamante and Efren were on the TV table, but the noise and all the hooping and hollering caused the boom camera to move over to the Pagulayan/McCready match.

It was McCready who was doing most of the yapping, yelling out, "You can put this on the internet" when he stepped up to the case 9-ball. He promptly bricked it into the cushion, allowing Alex to win that game. Alex broke and ran the next game, knotting the match on the hill.

I was two feet away from this match. If Alex said anything about the last rack being an easy out, he said it in mock jest. He was NOT being cocky. He missed a tough but makeable back-cut. McCready played a nice touch safety that caused Alex to sell out the last rack.

Fred

Chris in NC
09-24-2003, 02:25 PM
At that point in a hill-hill match of a major tournament, regardless of whether or not your opponent is running his mouth (as Keith was) if Alex did indeed say anything at all regarding it being an easy runout he was looking at, there is absolutely no question IMO that he immediately jinxed himself from having his best chance to run the rack.

I believe very strongly in the power of the pool Gods, in having the utmost respect for the game, for your opponent and for every shot you face on a pool table at all times. If he indeed did say something to that effect, he deserved to have missed. - Chris in NC

RedHell
09-24-2003, 02:55 PM
I haven't seen the game nor the table layout, but for those who were there, could it have been irony ?

Like : "That's an easy table !!!" looking concerned by it ?

Just asking ?

nAz
09-24-2003, 03:49 PM
Its funny i've known people who have done that and blown games no make that Sets becuase of it. myself included /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif kinda funny to hear a pro do the same mistake.

jjinfla
09-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Could Alex have been talking to himself? To assure himself that he had a good chance of running the table and winning the match?.

I'm sure we have all done that.

I am always talking to myself when at the table. Hopefully it stays in my mind and no one hears it. But who knows.

Jake

plato 17
09-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Two lessons can be learned here, one is don't ever come up to the table and tell people what you are going to do then put heat on your self. That is not smart. 2nd is Keith, If he would have learned how to shut up his mouth when he was playing and stopped show boating for the crowd, he might have won a tournament. Instead he became just a loud mouthed loser. You play in silent confidence, then you can shoot off your mouth after you have won. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

road runner 711
09-24-2003, 06:02 PM
It was said by one of the 5th greatest presidents of all time, he was a billiards player, speak softly and carry a big stick.
It seems neither of the players here ever understood what TR was trying to teach them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif