PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever play Earl Strickland?

04-10-2002, 08:19 AM
Just curious if anyone here ever played Earl Strickland.

Or...While I'm asking Fran Crimi from N.Y. or Bobby Angle from N.J.?

Q-guy
04-10-2002, 08:35 AM
I have practiced with him, why do you ask?

04-10-2002, 09:04 AM
I wondered if Earl is as polite with his opponents as they say...

Q-guy
04-10-2002, 10:45 AM
I will tell you, we were going to the same poolroom everyday to practice, and they would leave him alone to practice and just watch. But when he was finished. he did what could be considered a seminar and answered any questions they had, set up shots, told stories. Signed autographs. This would have cost the room owner a$1000. a day for this. He gave one kid a cue. You can't believe it is the same guy. We were in Las Vegas for the trade show a week before the tournament that was to be televised live on TV. Rather then leave and come back he just stayed there to practice and get ready for the tournament. He had no car and I did, so we ran around a little. He could not have been nicer.

04-11-2002, 03:04 AM
Yes, I played Earl. It was in a social setting and he was relaxed and very pleasant. Very different from the competitive Earl.

Fran

Tom_In_Cincy
04-11-2002, 09:44 PM
In the early to mid 80s Earl was one of many Meucci pros. He use to come to Memphis Tenn. quite often and spend weeks there. He came to one particular pool room called "High Pockets" (I recommend visiting this room if you get a chance to) and practiced a lot and picked up some ea$y games. I had never seen he personally do an "Earlism" during competition until the 2001 US Open. While he was play Stalev (the young Russian kid) Strickland showed his ass with the comments he made about playing a foreigner and how the audience should be rooting for the "Americans"

He's still going to be in the Pool Hall of Fame!!!!

stickman
04-11-2002, 10:09 PM
I played Earl a year or two ago. I beat him pretty badly. Then I woke up. /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Professor
04-12-2002, 03:46 AM
Yes, I have played pool with Earl and I agree wholeheartedly with what Q-Guy had to say. Earl is a very nice guy to be around and a true joy to those that love the game. He is often criticized for what has been referred to as ?Earlism? but, to compete at the level he does, and expect to win, one must be confident almost to the point of appearing arrogant. Many are quick to criticize him for some of his behavior in competition, but few ever question if it might have been justifiable. I once read where someone said you?ve never seen a pro golfer walk off the course in the middle of a round. And that is true, but I would imagine that if an opponent were allowed to continue to step in the line of a golfer?s putt, you might just see one walk off in the middle of a match! Don?t get me wrong, I am not saying that every outburst that Earl has made is justifiable, but I don?t think that could be said of any of us. There are things that players do, that in my opinion are much worse than the tantrums Earl sometimes throws. Such as the ?take downs?, ?splits?, ?insurance?, etc. in tournament play, and the ?business? that goes on with action matches. To my knowledge Earl has no part in this. One of the most disgusting events I ever watched was the first ?Challenge of Champions? when Buddy Hall lost to Mike LeBron in the final match. Ever wonder why Earl (the best of the best at that time) wasn?t in that ?elite? group of eight. The story was that he would be out of the country ?. yea sure! The real reason was that if he had been invited to played in it, he would have played to win. And that goes a long way with me. The distasteful things that Earl does are obvious. The things that many (not all) of the other players do are not obvious but, are far worse and represent the true problem that eats at the very heart of our game. And yes, he will someday be in the Hall of Fame.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-12-2002, 05:46 PM
Busting some bubbles about the great Willie Mosconi

Earl was never this bad...

From the website of Jimmy Ried http://www.freepoollessons.com/index2.html

Willie, looking like he was fit to be tied, pointed his cue at a young boy in the stands and said something to this effect - If you can't make that little brat sit still, you ought to leave him at home. Immediately the crowd looked at the little boy, who by now had tears in his eyes, then they began to boo and jeer Willie, the owner of University Bowl tried in vain to appease the crowd, but they all left, including myself, disappointed, some were even taunting Willie, calling him names...

And, it goes on to say this about Willie coming in 2nd...

Arnie began by saying. "And now to Willie Mosconi who played brilliantly" - that's all he got out, Willie grabbed the 2nd place envelope with his left hand and hit Arnie with a right sucker punch uppercut, knocking him out cold! Willie - what a scene, what a temper...

Q-guy
04-12-2002, 06:56 PM
I saw Mosconi do many exhibitions and something happened almost every time. He would actually insult people if they asked a stupid question. He would go nuts if someone asked about Fats, (the only player most of these people ever heard of at that time). When he worked for Ebonite he would knock the quality of the tables every time. No wonder they let him go. Now I will add this. I followed him around on a tour of exhibitions when he worked for Brunswick. I could not get enough of seeing him play. His exhibitions were great. He almost always played a match of 150 points with someone. This particular time he was playing mostly at Brunswick bowling lanes. He would play twice, once in the afternoon and once at night. This is no lie, he would run over a 100 almost every time, often running all the way out in one inning. Now, I attended the US Open Straight pool tournament many times. In the course of the week with the best 14.1 players playing. Only a few 100 + runs would be posted. I saw Mosconi as an old man do it twice a day like it was nothing. Many times on less then the best kept equipment. I think he could have shown up at the US Open even at that time as an old man and won the tournament with no problem.