PDA

View Full Version : Your Best Pawn Shop Cue Buys?

Sid_Vicious
09-21-2003, 10:10 PM
What's the biggest bargains you have known about from buying cues from a pawn shop???sid

cycopath
09-21-2003, 10:27 PM
I work at a pawnshop. We sell new cues; Meucci, Lucasi and some cheapies. We don't get too many second hand "quality" cues. I did score a Schon STL4 that was pretty cosmetically rough, but plays fabulous. The best part was the kid only wanted to borrow $20 on it. What a bargain!
I have a guy that pawns his Richard Black and an early Palmer in unused condition occassionally.
I also had a guy come in with a high level Lucasi and a Guiseppe case with Buddy Hall's rifleman stitching on it. The guy said he got it off of Buddy himself, because he had done some work at Buddy's house and he is married to Buddy's niece. We tried to do some trading but didn't work out. Too bad, would have been pretty cool to add to the collection.

But for the most part when you do find a cue in a pawnshop it's beat to hell and back and they have the price jacked WAY up on it. I like to cue hunt in other pawnshops but I've yet to find a good deal.

bolo
09-21-2003, 11:07 PM
None, they always want too much for what are worthless cues.
My wife did get a Nice McDermott at church thrift store for $2.00 we sold on ebay and got $180.00. That was once in a lifetime though.

JohnBarton
09-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Me - NONE - since I hardly ever go to pawn shops.

Some I have seen from my friends -

McDermott D-23 $425 retail at the time - bought for $25
$1200 Schon bought for $200
Four point early AE cue - bought for $100

There is one other one that eclipes them all but I can't remember what the cue was, I want to say it was a Joss West but I really can't remember. I do know that the guy who got it travels extensively and he has a whole route of pawn shops across the country that he frequents.

It really is kind of funny how much the pawn shops want for the crappy cues they often have. I often wonder how on earth the cues get beat up so badly without breaking.

Maybe someday I'll run across that Bushka for $20........

John

tateuts
09-22-2003, 05:08 PM
The best deal I got was on E-Bay, which helped make up for a few bad deals. Sometimes I'll buy and re-sell underpriced or poorly advertised cues and cases. A woman was selling a pretty nice Viking cue that was 10 years old and unused. I noticed in the picture that it came with an "It's George" case although she really didn't pump that up in her ad. I wanted the case, so I put in a $200 bid on the cue, which didn't meet the reserve. Since the only competing bid was $180, all she could see was that I put in a $180 bid. The auction ended and mine was the highest bid but without the reserve being met.

Anyway, I get an e-mail from her offering me the cue/case package for the $180. As we exchanged e-mails, she explained that she had bought the package as a birthday gift for her pool playing husband from the QVC television shopping show. She and her husband had split shortly before the package arrived, so it sat in her closet new for all this time. She needed the money so she was selling it.

I explained that I had actually bid $200 so I paid her the highest price. She sends the package and sure enough, the cue and the case are both new. The case is a tan ostrich leather George and downright perfect.

A little later, I sold the case on E-Bay for $210. A while later, I sold the cue for $200.

I actually felt pretty bad about this because she was very, very nice. I considered contacting her and splitting the difference - but I'm not sure how that would seem to her.

Chris

Irish
09-22-2003, 05:49 PM
I found a Brunswick Trophy cue in a pawn shop in Kelowna BC. The cue's shaft was warped and in terrible condition. The butt was pretty much dead straight but the pin was slightly messed up. I was able to buy the thing for $50 Canadian since the pawn shop people had no clue what they had and it was in such poor shape. I brought it back home, spent $100 getting a new shaft built and getting it fixed up. About 2 years after I bought it I sold it for $450, made $300 off the whole deal and the guy I sold the cue to got a steal due to my needing the cash to pay for my new cue that was being built at the time. Those cues occasionally sell for over $1000 Canadian up here when they are in good shape and the right weight (19-20).

cueball1950
09-22-2003, 11:37 PM
Mine would have to be a Willie Hoppe titlest that i picked up for about $75.00 in an albany ny shop. sent it at the time to palmer to have a new shaft made for it. that was about 20 years ago. Still have it..............mike

c.holtz009
09-23-2003, 03:25 AM
My friend's father found a nice case at a garage sale last year, so he bought it for $5. When he got home and opened the case, there was a Predator cue in it. Good deal!!
I'm still trying to convince him to sell it to me for $5!!

Sid_Vicious
09-23-2003, 07:07 AM
"But for the most part when you do find a cue in a pawnshop it's beat to hell and back and they have the price jacked WAY up on it. I like to cue hunt in other pawnshops but I've yet to find a good deal."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is what I find in pawn shops too, especially the jacked up prices overall. I'll tell you the truth, I quit going to them for that reason. When I waw 19" Sanyo color TVs within tens of dollars form Wal-mart specials, " To hell with these highball tactics! I ain't looking an inch further." Friends want to tell me, "But they will dicker." Dicker by starting right, you and gonna play this highball game with me, pawn shops are just a place for me to kill time while waiting around for another appt these days....sid

cheesemouse
09-23-2003, 07:24 AM
Sid,

I've bought two cues in pawn shops. Both were run of the mill production cues, Action & Palmer. I was just trying to match butts with two 314 shafts I own anyway so didn't care about overall condition of the shafts. Both were priced around $80 and I got them for less than $40 each...One side bar, while looking around I found an old Brunswick black leather cue case I paid $15 for, it's not really useful in this day but makes a nice display item in my front entrance laying next to some old hickory shafted golf clubs...

Voodoo Daddy
09-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Location; Miami..Year; 1990...Score; a perfect Flat-faced jointed cue in a nice Porper case. The guy sold me the case for $55 and gave me the cue in it...a 6 pointer maple cue w/2shafts made by David P Kersenbrock!! Sold it years later for $1700!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

tateuts
09-23-2003, 03:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> ...The guy sold me the case for $55 and gave me the cue in it...a 6 pointer maple cue w/2shafts made by David P Kersenbrock!! Sold it years later for $1700!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA <hr /></blockquote>

Wow, that's almost a crime. That's one guy that was in the wrong business!

Chris