PDA

View Full Version : I played one pocket!!!

bluewolf
09-22-2003, 04:37 AM
I walked into the pool hall and after watching me for a few minutes, this older gentleman (60 ish) offered to play some with me. Now in this pool hall, they all play op but they have never tried to get me to gamble at any pool game since I am a beginner (1 year of playing).I guess if it came down to that, I would gamble for table rate which is $2.60 an hour. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

First we played 8-ball and he got out in two innings, whatever that means as far as his skill.

Then we played op. The first game I did not do too good and the final score was 3-8. I was disapointed I did not get more balls in but he said he did worse on his first op game. We played again and as luck would have it, score was reversed 8-2.

When I played matchups before our APA 8-ball matches, I was never very motivated, it was just warming up for me, but I was real motivated to beat this guy, almost to the intensity of a real match. Odd???

I have always known I wanted to play this game but put it off because my banking is not good. Really need to work on that. 8-ball and 9-ball are okay and I know I need to be proficient at them too, so not to be lopsided but op just seems a lot more interesting.

It looks like I will be in op land for this week and the next and I plan to take advantage of this and the low rates at this pool hall.

Don't know if anyone is interested, but this is an exciting new discovery for me. Can't wait to get back to the poolhall today. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Laura

pooltchr
09-22-2003, 07:04 AM
Enjoy, Laura. Just be careful. OP can be quite addictive!
Steve

OnePocketChamp
09-22-2003, 07:36 AM
You are going to find that if you continue to play op your skill level will vastly improve in 8 ball. This will occur in two ways 1. cb control 2. increased confidence in banking. Good luck and stay with op----it's a great game.

bluewolf
09-22-2003, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote OnePocketChamp:</font><hr> You are going to find that if you continue to play op your skill level will vastly improve in 8 ball. This will occur in two ways 1. cb control 2. increased confidence in banking. Good luck and stay with op----it's a great game. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks. I loved this game already. I do not know how I beat this guy the second game. He seemed a little upset also because he knew I had never played it. Beats me. I just think op makes more sense to me. Even though I am a bad banker, I was cutting okay and love safing.

I am really determined to get my banks going now. I have two more weeks here anyway and lots of opportunities to play this wonderful game. I am real determined, where 8ball and 9ball did not make as much sense.

Some of the op guys gamble but lots of them are willing to give me tips on just about any pool shot and play me op too without gambling.

Glad to hear op will help 8-ball since I am not real great at that game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Optimus_P
09-29-2003, 08:53 AM
i too just played this over the weekend. also a 55+ gentlemen asked me if i wanted to shoot some. i told him i dont know how to play OP so he said he would show me as long as i take my time.

its been along time since i have played or learned something that really stoked the fire like this. iv dabbled in stright pool but everyone usually playes 9ball or 8ball so i dont get a chance to play some of the more elebrate games.

i prolly spent a good 30-40 mins just working on the break for OP. cant wait to play some more.

PQQLK9
09-29-2003, 09:28 AM
Be careful...One-Pocket can be addictive /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

NH_Steve
09-29-2003, 04:24 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
09-29-2003, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Optimus_P:</font><hr>
i prolly spent a good 30-40 mins just working on the break for OP. cant wait to play some more. <hr /></blockquote>

We bought a tape from Scott Lee that has all of these one pocket breaks on it. When I get back to DC I will be studying it.

Laura

wolfdancer
09-29-2003, 10:11 PM
Well, I'm an OP-2, and I was playing this OP-4 the other day..who banks better'n me, but I play safes like an OP-5, maybe an OP-6..and I'm improving, and probably soon will be an OP-Kenobi
Sorry Laura...couldn't resist

RedHell
09-30-2003, 07:51 AM
I thought it was OP-1 Kenobi.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif