PDA

View Full Version : Secret how to improve pool from weightlifting!

Patrick
04-10-2002, 08:31 AM
If there are shots where you will need more speed than you can get, then you will need to improve your strength from weightlifting. If you already have enough speed in your stroke than you will ever need, then you don't need to get extra strength.
If you can only get speeds between 0-20MPH, then for example if you can get 50 different speeds with your cue, you will have twice better speed control than another player that can do 50 speeds between 0-40MPH.
But you can change that by changing the stroke and follow through. Francisco Bustamante uses a heavy cue and he is strong, this is why he can make 40MPH breaks. He uses a pump stroke because if he uses a normal stroke, he would get too much speed with the cue. He uses more movement in the arm than normal players, he does this to get less speed on the cueball. So if you use twice as long backswings, you can get more speeds than 50 speeds. You can decrease the speed of the cueball by using a shorter follow through or decellerating the cue before it reaches the cueball, like John Higgins does, he uses a longer backswing.

Your body needs to be stable, the more you weigh, the less movement you will get in your body when you stroke the cue. The more your cue weighs, the more extra movement in your body, which is not good. The players who use cues that weigh much, they use a long follow through because of it, they can't stop the cue in their follow through because they are not strong enough, so their stroke gets bad. Look at all snooker players, they all use very light cues.
Bodyfat is never good, it is better to have that extra weight as muscle size instead. Different muscles in your body needs to be specially trained for pool.
Your lower body should be heavier than your upper body, this gives better stability. You will need a good balance of weight all around your body so everything is still when you play pool. Some muscles you will train for strength and some for only size, it is not good to be stronger in those muscles that are counter-productive in your stroke.
But first you will need a perfect stance and stroke, if your stance and stroke is bad, this special balancing technique will not help you much.
As you have understood by now, muscles are very important for pool, I will create a special training program for every student in my pool lessons, everyone are different.

Patrick

phil in sofla
04-10-2002, 05:38 PM
I've seen the top pros' break said to be about 30 mph or so, with even hard breakers like Earl and Johnny A coming in some 4-5 mph below that. I don't think your claim of 40 mph for Bustamante's break is accurate, and more likely, 30% exaggerated.

Kato
04-11-2002, 08:03 AM
Phil. I think if you dropped some of that Princeton physics stuff on him he might just have a breakdown.

Just a thought. Does anybody know how much Bustamante benches or if he excersises his neck regularly?

Kato~~~likes to watch excersice on ESPN2 (especially Kianna)

rackmup
04-11-2002, 08:34 AM
Post deleted by rackmup

Kato
04-11-2002, 08:39 AM
Who the heck is this Ken Kingan guy and does anybody know if he has a pet possum or not?

Kato

Patrick
04-11-2002, 04:31 PM
I have heard that Francisco has done 36mph in a breaking contest. Then someone else have said he has done 40mph once.

Patrick

rackmup
04-12-2002, 06:20 AM
I wish I did have a pet 'possum. All of my troubles would be solved if I had a pet 'possum. 'Possums are good. They smile at me when I am driving home after a late night of playing and drinking at the pool hall. They tell me funny jokes. Best of all, they EAT rude "anonymous" posters.

Regards,

Ken (the star of "The 'Possum Hunter" on the Discovery Channel)

Kato
04-12-2002, 06:50 AM
On your show do you antagonize possums by chasing them around and poking them and stuff?

Kato

04-12-2002, 06:54 AM
Kirstie Alley owns a pet opossum. She drives producers nuts on the sets she works on. Her pet Opposum must be nipple nursed among other obsurd accomadations or else she doesn't work! Sounds as nuts as it is, but if I was that spoiled and imagined myself to be that big...I would demand a pool room trailer on every set.