PDA

View Full Version : Ranking of the Best Pool Events

Chris in NC
09-22-2003, 04:42 PM
In planning my upcoming trips / vacations - which of course center around pool, the events that stand out for me are Valley Forge in March, the Junior Nationals in July/August and the U.S. Open in September, in that particular order. I can understand for most the Jr. Nationals is an event few consider attending unless they had a family member or close friend playing, but I think you'd all be surprised how well run this event truly is - and the high level of play!

This year adds yet another temptation to the list for me - the Mosconi Cup in Vegas in December! Also, I've heard Derby City (either Jan or Feb) is a don't miss event for serious pool fans / players. Other major events to add to that list would be the BCA Trade Show in the summer, the BCA Open/Nationals in May and the APA Nationals in August. Not being involved in leagues, I've never attended either of those last two events, but I'm sure they are great.

Other events that would be great to attend but are rarely held in this country would of course include the World 9-ball Championships. That's precisely what makes the opportunity to attend the Mosconi Cup this year so tempting - since it's normally not held in this country and is such a unique event.

Just curious how others here rank the top pool events of the year for sheer enjoyment? - Chris in NC

tateuts
09-22-2003, 05:35 PM
As far as a combination of great destination and a great event, WPC would be hard to beat. Cardiff is in the south part of Wales about 150 miles from London. In the general area is Bath, Stonehenge, Stratford (Shakespeare's birthplace), Warwick Castle, Coventry and Oxford - all in England. If that doesn't impress you, drive up through York to Edinburgh, Scotland, to play some golf at St. Andrews and Gleneagles.

That's a trip I would love to do! Problem is you need some time to do it.

The dream final match? Keith eliminates Earl in the semi's to face the ever-so-proper Steve Davis in the finals.

Chris

Irish
09-22-2003, 05:42 PM
OMG that would be great to see Keith and Davis in the finals! I would hope Keith shows him no respect and runs all over him as well =) What a contrast of personalities and style that would be.

stevelomako
09-22-2003, 08:21 PM
If you had to choose just one tournament to go to, it would have to be the Derby City. Where are you going to be able to stay at the host hotel and have 24hr a day action, whether it's the tournament or gambling? Plus how can you beat the spectator pass......play in one event and have a pass for the whole thing?

Ralph S.
09-23-2003, 02:19 AM
I must agree Steve. I attended my first major event ever at the 2002 DCC and it was the BOMB! Being able to run up to your room and shower or change and get a quick nap without leaving the premises of the tourney is a huge plus.

As you also mentioned, the action is fast and furious. I will be there again this January and hope to see many other CCB'ers there as well. Maybe we could even have a mini CCB-DCC of our own. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
09-23-2003, 01:49 PM
In the NEXT 5 months, there is a lot of POOL for the fans.

My personal rankings would be as follows;
Mosconi Cup (just this year)
DCC (will probably miss this one-- have made the first 5)
Windy City (just because I haven't been to it)
Glass City Open (it was great last year, deserves support)

For more info here are the sites:

Derby City Classic Just after the Wendy City Open (http://www.derbycityclassic.com/)

Wendy City Open In January 2004 (http://www.windycityopen.org/)

Mosconi Cup In Las Vegas in Dec 2003 (http://www.mosconicup.com/)

Glass City Open Nov 12-16th 2003 (http://www.glasscityopen.com/)

Candyman
09-23-2003, 02:28 PM
I am new to the game, so I am not very well traveled in pool circles. However, my wife and I are planning a trip to the Boone, NC area in the next few weeks for some r&r and we plan on spending some time in the Country Retreat Billiards room. We have heard very good things about the room and the people. See you soon. Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jungledude51
09-23-2003, 02:36 PM
Chris, I've been to all the big tournaments numerous times and without a doubt The Derby City Classic is the best. Ten days of continuous action, great seating and visibility, and really makes a pool fan think he died and went to heaven. Don't miss it, I've been going for several years.
Great hotel, great pool area, greater action....Gerald /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fred Agnir
09-23-2003, 03:07 PM
I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. You can't beat the VF Expo if your main purpose is to drool at all the equipment that suddenly you find, you must have.

And, if your thing is to be totally drenched in pool, pool action, the smell and color of money, then the Derby City Classic has no equal.

Fred

Chris in NC
09-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Fred, after reading the responses so far, it sounds like Derby City is the consensus can't miss event. I'll be making my plans to attend and take it all in. - Chris in NC

Sally
09-25-2003, 12:54 PM
My favourite event in the past year that I have been to is the Derby City Classic. However, this past U.S. Open was a lot of fun. The great matches were only surpassed by the great CCB'ers that I met there. Thank you everyone.

Aboo
09-25-2003, 01:20 PM
The Derby City tourny looks awesome... My wife can barely handle a single day tourny here in town though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I think she'd lynch me if I even SUGGESTED we use vacation time to do that lol.

How do you get someone to become interested in this fascinating game!? I can't understand how anyone couldn't be!

Fred Agnir
09-25-2003, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sally:</font><hr> My favourite event in the past year that I have been to is the Derby City Classic. However, this past U.S. Open was a lot of fun. The great matches were only surpassed by the great CCB'ers that I met there. Thank you everyone. <hr /></blockquote> Does this mean I get to see you again in just a few short months?

Fred &lt;~~~ be still, my beating heart

Sally
09-25-2003, 01:57 PM
I can e-mail you a schedule of my upcoming appearances if you like. Goofball! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fred Agnir
09-25-2003, 02:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sally:</font><hr> Goofball! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I love it when you talk dirty.

Fred