PDA

View Full Version : Are you T H E 'Fran Crimi' !????

04-10-2002, 08:42 AM
Hi Fran, I'm new to this Post. Sorry,I did not see your name up there until a minute ago. Are you the same Fran Crimi who went after "The Queen of Mean"? Also, if so I know you once played against Jean Balukus - I need to know something...Do you think she sharked you in any way?

Bobby

04-10-2002, 09:48 AM
I have no idea who the queen of mean is, and yes, I've played Jean several times. Why do you want to know this information?

Fran

04-10-2002, 11:04 AM
Hi Fran...The Queen of Mean" aka Leona Helmsley. Front page of the NY POST. They called her Queen of Mean more than her real name!
Remember her now?

Rich R.
04-10-2002, 11:11 AM
There is also a CCB poster with the nickname "Queen of Mean", not Ms. Helmsley.
Rich R.

04-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Oh, THAT queen of mean! I did work on that case but I was hired by the defense team. I investigated the facts and reported my findings to her attorneys. That's why I didn't make the connection when you said I went after her.

So why do you need to know if Jean ever sharked me?

Fran

04-10-2002, 11:39 AM
Hi Fran, The reason I asked about Jean is because of the problem she had with the WPBA where she objected to the fine for sharking in the Tournament with Robin Bell.
I don't see why she was so adamant about paying the fine.
She knew she was distracting Bell. I suppose she would raise the same issue if it was the other way around.
Players like that seem to not be aware that they are Sharking and not just "venting" at a bad time. That's basically why I asked...
Thanks...An Honor to communicate with a true 'Great One' like you.
Bobby

04-10-2002, 12:57 PM
OK, fair enough...to answer your question: No, I don't ever recall feeling that Jean sharked me.

The situation with Jean at that time was very complicated and multi-faceted. There was a lot going on. Let's see if I can put some of it in perspective for you.

1) The WPBA was going through a major transition to try to upgrade their image. The dress code went from casual to dressy practically overnight and the person it seemed to affect the most was Jean because it took her right out of her comfort zone...I think more so than the rest of us. There were a lot of arguments over the new code at that time, and even though we weren't thrilled with having to do things like wear stockings with dress shoes (who was going too look at them under our pants anyway?) we went along with the change in hopes to move the WPBA forward. So it looked as if it was everyone against Jean, and Jean started to feel that maybe some of this stuff was done intentionally against her.

2) Now part two of this is that you have to understand that Jean was under a tremendous amount of pressure at that time. She was playing in men's events and getting a whole lot of flack from them about that, and at the same time, we were switching all our WPBA tournaments to 9-ball which took away some of Jean's major edge as a player. It just seemed like all the new changes that were occurring were against Jean. In fact, they WERE against her, but not done intentionally to harm her, but she didn't see it that way...but remember the tremendous pressure she was under at that time.

3)The third thing going on at that time was the introduction of a new and stricter code of conduct for WPBA players. I think more players were fined that year than any other year. They had to learn how to change their ways and keep themselves in check at all times. This was very different than what they were used to. Haha! I remember Loree Jon catching a fine for starting a food fight. She just thought she was having a little fun with some players and didn't realize she was breaking any rules. She just paid the fine and laughed it off. Other players didn't take to the fining process so well and there were arguments about that too.

I just think it was a combination of many things going on at that time that caused Jean to fight the fine so much. I can see how Jean might have felt that no one was on her side with all the changes going against her.

Fran

Chris Cass
04-10-2002, 01:09 PM
Fran,
Your a total sweetheart. Definitely a classy woman.

Your friend,
Chris(Cass) Aiardo

cuechick
04-10-2002, 07:22 PM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents, since I did some research on the incident... from what I read, it was not so much the fine that jean objected too. But the process at which the fine was determined. She seemed to feel it was a case of the 'inmates in charge of the asylum' ...
I think Fran paints a very interesting picture of those formative years of the WPBA and I can see how it all came together to a breaking point for Jean.

Gayle in MD
04-11-2002, 08:34 AM
Dear Fran, How I love reading your posts. I'm so glad you are back!
Gayle in Md.

Kato
04-11-2002, 09:04 AM
You can add me to the glad to see Fran's back. She adds a great deal of wisdom to the discussion as well as an inside look into the WPBA.

Kato