PDA

View Full Version : another tournament story-REALLY REALLY LOOOONG!!!!

marek
09-23-2003, 02:46 AM
Hi people!
So finally here I am with another tournament story;well in fact there are TWO stories in this one so you get discount here /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Week ago I went to Germany to the one-day tournament. Tournament format was 9ball race to 6, double elimination. As a matter of fact my opponent for the first round turned out to be another czech player. I was not really happy about that for 3 reasons: 1) I wanted to get an experience by playing foreign player 2) I dont like to play him as he is very dangerous 9ball player; he has got really good stroke + if he doesnt have a shot he just bangs the cb and quite often he slops a ball or two into the pocket 3) I have lost 3 matches in a row against him. But I played quite good and I won 6:3. My next opponent was german player. Never heard of him;well....we have one phrase here: "he beated me into a cubic ball" Thats the way he treated me. He kicked my .ss 0:6. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif He did no mistake from the game at all, he only couldnt pot a ball from the break twice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Well two occasions for me to go to the table, two stupid errors due to the nervosity. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif On the losers side I got another german player. And I made too many mistakes, I was like Santa Claus again. Nervosity took its toll again so I lost 3:6. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif When I tried to find main reason why I failed i came to this conclusion: I need more tournament experince outside my country, I just need to get used to foreign countries as I dont travel much + I just wasnt in good shape, I lost my consistency as I played on snooker table with snooker cue two days before this tournament and after that my technique got worse. Next time I will stick to the pool table. One more thing: I decided to work harder on my fundamentals for a while........ /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8 days later, Sunday, september 21-st , 10:30 AM, Prague (your imagination can easily think of x-files-like music and text appearing with beep-sound.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) CMBS 8-Ball Open, one of the most prestigeous tournaments here, anual opening tournament of the season. Race to 6, final race to 8, double elimination, last 8 single elimination, 32 players (it may seem like 32 is not a big number but the starting fee was quite high and those 32 players were the finest players here). My first opponent turned out to be the same player who I have played in Germany in the first round. It was very close, I was trailing 4:5 but I got my chance and I capitalized on it. So I won 6:5. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif My next opponent was a good buddy, he was in Germany last week too and finished much much higher than me. Amazingly we never played each other although we have been playing at the same tournaments for at least 2 years. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I was bit nervous as I have seen him playing great pool in last few months. Apparently he was nervous too, at the start of the match he did 2 stupid mistakes. On the other hand I managed to turn the nervousity into the nearly flawless pool. So I won 6:2. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif My next opponent proved to be a lot tougher. Everybody here knew about his strange stroking and aiming technique which was his great fallback for years.....BANG! Apparently somebody tought him proper technique and his game has risen by mountain! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But I was playing also good so the whole match was really nice with bunch of runouts on both sides. Fortunatelly I turned my best game on when it counted most and I won 6:5 again..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif so I advanced into the last 8. I waited quite long for my opponent to fight his way through the losers side. Finally I got him, those who read my stories regularly may remember him, he is 14 years old, recently he was 5-th at europian championships in straight pool in pupil category. He is really a great prospect to czech pool. And he played great pool just as I anticipated and he almost beated me, he was leading 5:3 and he was playing last 8.......amazingly he missed /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and I knew I have to capitalize on that mistake. Unfortunatelly my 8ball break is NOT my weapon so I let him to the table at 5:5. And he ran the balls like rocket. But he forgot to think so he ran dry when positioning cb on 8. He had to jump which he did, he almost potted the 8 and he scratched. So I took cb and ran out. Another 6:5 victory! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif In the semifinal I got player who crushed 3 of his opponents 6:0 or 6:1 and one of his opponets got crushed by barrage of 4 runouts in a row. So I concentrated on that match tremendously. I won the lag and the first time he went to the table was when I couldnt make anything on the break at 3:0. He ran out. Then he went dry on the break. His another trip to the table was at 5:1 when I played safety after the break. He couldnt make anything out of it, not a ball, not a safety. So he tried crazy bank shot which he failed to make and I finished him with another runout.... 6:1. I was REALLY happy with my performance out there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Last match stood between me and victory. My opponent was silver medalist from national championship in 8ball this year so I expected hard battle. Well......I fought but I was tired by that time (9pm) and I started to make stupid mistakes so he took quick lead 5:2. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Then something strange has happened. I started to be extremely..............lucky!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif At 5:2 he ran very very hard table (I should rather say almost impossible) but leaving himself with very thin cut on the 8. And he made the cut and potted the 8 but also scratched cb - 5:3. In the next game I missed twice while leaving him nothing to play in both cases - 5:4. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Then I went dry on the break and he ran the table to 8 which he had to play to the pocket where I had one of my balls (well...definitelly not one of MY balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif). He tried to pass the 8 through but the 8 stayed in the jaws of pocket. And I capitalized on this opportunity-5:5. Next 4 games could be characterized as an exchange of good and bad luck - 5:6, 6:6, 6:7, 7:7. So we both were on the hill. Last game was in fact chess match with bunch of safeties on both sides, no one really wanted to pot his balls as there was cluster of 2 balls - one solid one stripe with no makeable way to break it. Finally I had to as he managed to combo my second-to-last ball into the pocket. So I tried to make extremelly hard table-lenght cross-bank shot. Guess what? That b.tch rattled in the jaws of pocket with playable position on the 8!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif My emotions went out as I cursed at the ball for a while. My opponent had 3 balls on the table. He made the first one with reasonable position on the second ball. He potted the second ball but added too much spin so the cb accelerated on each of 3 cushions it hit and left him on the short bank with 3/4 table-lenght 35 degree shot. The situation was clear - he makes it and he wins the match, he fails and I win. So he took deep breath, went into the shot, aimed for a while and pulled the trigger..........it was like eternity to watch the cb running at the object ball and watching it ..............................going WIDE! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I was quite nervous when running my last ball and the 8 but I managed not to make any trouble for myself and I won 8:7. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif What a match! What a tournament! I won 4 out of six of my matches on the double hill!!! I must admit that I was totally sucked out of energy both physically and mentally. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I learned one important thing (which I knew before but now I know the EXACT meaning of it): never give up, even if things dont go your way, even if you are playing bad and your opponent playing great and you are behind - really strange things can happen, even the strangest one - you can win! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.s.: Yesterday I was practicing straight pool and I ran 100 in 3 innings (40,28,32). I know those runs are not so impressive but stringing them together is not so regular for me. I was quite happy about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dmgwalsh
09-23-2003, 04:30 AM
Congratulations on a great win.

cheesemouse
09-23-2003, 07:09 AM
Marek,

Good win and congradutions!! It sounds like your starting to benefit from your hard work at the game. Luck is a nice ride, isn't it??? Old luck is like that buddy you can't rely on but your alway happy to see him when he does show. Just enjoy him when he around and look forward to the next meeting....Way to Marek. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aboo
09-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Great story marek! I love hearing about your tourny's, gives me hope /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Keep running 'em!

PQQLK9
09-23-2003, 12:11 PM
Good story Marek...I'm so glad for you.

snipershot
09-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Awesome story Marek as usual, what's next on your billiard agenda?

Good luck in the future as well my friend.

Sniper

marek
09-24-2003, 02:34 AM
Next competition will be on this Saturday. It is team competition, the best 16 teams in Czech Republic, each team consists of 3 players with possible substitutes. Competition format: 3 rounds (September, October, November), on each round our team will play 5 teams. Each match between teams consists of 3 matches: 1x 8ball race to 8, 1x 9ball race to 9, 1x straight pool race to 100. Each player will play one discipline (team can choose in each match who will play which discipline). Victory in each discipline is counted like one point towards the score. The team who has more points from those 3 matches wins the whole match and gets a point to the overall table, losers team gets none. After 3 rounds best 8 teams advance to the nationals. Wish us good luck! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-24-2003, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr>

...Each match between teams consists of 3 matches: 1x 8ball race to 8, 1x 9ball race to 9, 1x straight pool race to 100. Each player will play one discipline (team can choose in each match who will play which discipline)..... <hr /></blockquote>

That sounds interesting and fun. Which discipline will you be playing?

marek
09-24-2003, 07:46 AM
I would prefer playing straight pool or 9ball but that is yet to be decided. I can play anything... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-24-2003, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> I would prefer playing straight pool or 9ball but that is yet to be decided. I can play anything... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

100 and out in straight pool would be nice /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I can't wait for that story. Good luck.

marek
09-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Yeah, that would be really nice but I dont think so... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Its true I have run 100 once but it was in the practice. My highest run in the competition so far is 57. But it is also true that I havent played straight pool match in the competition for 6 months (since nationals) and I have improved my game over last six months quite a lot so I give it a try.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I would be happy for runs in 50s range too... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif