PDA

View Full Version : Criminals

Qtec
09-23-2003, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anti-war activists who visited Iraq before the US invasion have discovered that they could face up to 12 years in prison and $1m in fines.
Although travel firms now tout adventure tours to a country that is a temporary home to 150,000 US troops, scores of American protesters have been warned they risk fines or imprisonment for violating a prewar travel ban.

During the past few weeks a retired schoolteacher in her 60s and a number of other activists have received warnings from the US treasury that they could face punishment for travelling to Iraq.

"When I came back from Iraq I had a letter from the treasury threatening up to 12 years in prison and up to $1m [620,000] in fines," said Faith Fippinger, 62.

Ms Fippinger, who retired as a teacher for the blind, spent the war as a human shield, living in the grounds of an ageing oil refinery in Baghdad.

She was among about 30 Americans who arrived in Iraq in the run-up to war to serve as human shields. She was one of the few who stayed. More than 150 other US protesters - including the actor Sean Penn - travelled to Iraq in the run-up to war.

Ms Fippinger said a treasury official had told her last week that if she agreed to pay, the fine would be reduced to $10,000.

She replied that she had no intention of paying. "It's a matter of principle, having made the decision to go there out of caring for human life, and then once there having to deal with the dead children from cluster bombs, and also seeing the young American military being killed," she said.

Ms Fippinger said she was warned that the funds could be seized from her pension, or through the sale of her house.

At least three other US activists who travelled to Baghdad before the war have received similar notices from the treasury. But a spokesman denied any suggestion that the enforcement effort was politically motivated. He would not say how many Americans faced charges.

<hr /></blockquote>

Is this for real???

Q

eg8r
09-23-2003, 09:52 AM
It is a shame our bombs did not hit her. That way, she would not feel like a failure. She did not act as a shield to anything. If she wanted to step in as an act of humanity, why wasn't she out in the cities standing on the streets in front of the Saddam loyalists and be a REAL shield. Isn't it funny that the human shields were hanging out in an area where they would not be in harms way.

They all were a joke. They had no intention of being a shield, just a puppet of Saddam. The law was in place before they left, so they broke the law. How much more plain and simple does it need to be. If they were speeding (which most people do not consider breaking the law) and received a ticket then they would be expected to pay the ticket. Well the same thing is in place. It was posted for them that they could not travel there. They did it in defiance and now they "might" have to pay the penalty. I really do not think they will ever pay anything, but we will see.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
09-23-2003, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

.......Ms Fippinger, who retired as a teacher for the blind, spent the war as a human shield, living in the grounds of an ageing oil refinery in Baghdad......

<hr /></blockquote>

I remember that stupid old woman. She should be jailed for treason. And throw Jane Fonda in there with her.

If the old woman can't pay the fine she can go out and pick up cans out of people's garbage. She's obviously got too much time on her hands anyway.

Qtec
09-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Does the same apply to Dick?

[ QUOTE ]
Halliburton Iraq ties more than Cheney said
NewsMax Wires
Monday, June 25, 2001
UNITED NATIONS, June 23 (UPI) -- Halliburton Co., the oil company that was headed by Vice President Dick Cheney, signed contracts with Iraq worth $73 million through two subsidiaries while he was at its helm, the Washington Post reported.

During last year's presidential campaign, Cheney said Halliburton did business with Libya and Iran through foreign subsidiaries, but maintained he had imposed a "firm policy" against trading with Iraq.

"Iraq's different," the Post quoted him as saying.

Oil industry executives and confidential U.N. records showed, however, that Halliburton held stakes in two companies that signed contracts to sell more than $73 million in oil production equipment and spare parts to Iraq while Cheney was chairman and chief executive officer, the Post reported.

Two former senior executives of the Halliburton subsidiaries said they knew of no policy against dealing with Iraq. One of them said he was certain Cheney knew about the deals, though he had never spoken about them to the vice president directly.

If he "was ever in a conversation or meeting where there was a question of pursuing a project with someone in Iraq, he said, 'No,' " Mary Matalin, Cheney's counselor, said.

"In a joint venture, he would not have reviewed all their existing contracts," Matalin told the Post. "The nature of those joint ventures was that they had a separate governing structure, so he had no control over them."

The deal was legal, the Post said, and they showed how U.S. firms use foreign subsidiaries and joint ventures to avoid doing business with Baghdad. The practice is not a violation of U.S. law and falls within the U.N.-run oil-for-food program.

The Post
<hr /></blockquote>

Is everyone equal under the law?

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
09-23-2003, 11:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

......The deal was legal, the Post said, and they showed how U.S. firms use foreign subsidiaries and joint ventures to avoid doing business with Baghdad. The practice is not a violation of U.S. law and falls within the U.N.-run oil-for-food program.

The Post
<hr /></blockquote>

Iraq needed equipment for its oil fields so your hero Saddam could sell his oil and buy food and medicine for the little children of Iraq which he loved so much.

Cheney/Bush BAD

Saddam GOOD

Is that what you're saying?

Iowashark
09-23-2003, 11:26 AM
I say if these 'human shields' have such a problem with America and it's policies and actions....leave them in Iraq. They'll soon find out just how humane America is.

eg8r
09-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Here is your quote... [ QUOTE ]
Does the same apply to Dick? <hr /></blockquote> You then move on to quote another source about Dick Cheney and Haliburton. Now what the heck does that have to do with what I posted?

I said the woman should have been hit with a bomb, if she wanted to really be a human shield. The point being, she had no intention of being a human shield, she just wanted to make a statement to the administration. Point well taken, they see where she stands politically. That does not, however, remove her from being responsible for paying for her actions. It was a crime and she is now penalized.

eg8r

Qtec
09-23-2003, 06:28 PM
The point is Wally, Dick C and Co. have been doing buisness with Saddam all the time. No matter how much of a bad guy he was, with Haliburton it was buisness as usual.

They love to talk about Freedom, Democracy etc.but its all BS. Making a Buck over-rides any sense of morality or justice with these guys.

The fact that the only Govt building in Baghdad that was protected by the US, while the rest of the city was looted , was the Ministry for Oil. I wonder what incriminating evidence lies whithin.

The right of free thought, free speech and the right to criticize the Govt without fear of persecution is a measure of a country,s Democracy. Since GW, D Cheny and the neo-conservative mob have taken control in the WH,it has been a disaster for America and the rest of the world .

Its got such a mess in Iraq that the UN will be forced to jump in.

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
09-24-2003, 06:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> The point is Wally, Dick C and Co. have been doing buisness with Saddam all the time. No matter how much of a bad guy he was, with Haliburton it was buisness as usual.

<font color="blue">All right Q, I'll say this one more time.

Haliburton is the major supplier of oil-field equipment in the world. Iraq had to have equipment to pump their oil. Where else were they going to get it? It was all legal under your precious UN oil-for-food program.</font color>

They love to talk about Freedom, Democracy etc.but its all BS. Making a Buck over-rides any sense of morality or justice with these guys.

<font color="blue">No. 9/11 overrides everything. We were not going to sit around and wait for Saddam to pull some shenannigans of his own. As it turns out he was mostly bluster and bullsh1t but we had no way of knowing that. </font color>

The fact that the only Govt building in Baghdad that was protected by the US, while the rest of the city was looted , was the Ministry for Oil. I wonder what incriminating evidence lies whithin.

<font color="blue">God you're paranoid. </font color>

The right of free thought, free speech and the right to criticize the Govt without fear of persecution is a measure of a country,s Democracy. Since GW, D Cheny and the neo-conservative mob have taken control in the WH,it has been a disaster for America and the rest of the world .

<font color="blue">Well let's see. Al-Quaida's has been emasculated. Bin Laden and Saddam are hiding in caves. Ouday and Husay no longer run around Baghdad literally raping and killing at will. The Taliban were vaporized by close air support. 50 million people freed. Doesn't seem like a disaster to me. But what the hell do I know. I'm just a jingoistic neo-con blindly following GW down the road to hell. </font color>

Its got such a mess in Iraq that the UN will be forced to jump in.

<font color="blue">Lord have mercy, thank GOD that the UN will be there to bail us out. ROTFL </font color>

Q <hr /></blockquote>