PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual CCB 9-Ball US Open Statistics

Mr Ingrate
09-23-2003, 11:20 AM
The final statistics for the 2nd Annual CCB 8-Ball Tournament at the US Open are here! (http://www3.telus.net/syrja/ccb/ccb_2003.pdf) Note: you can download them by right clicking on the link.

You will need Acrobat ® Reader to view them, something I assume you all have, otherwise go to Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) for a free download. Remember, you can rotate the pages when viewing.

Despite having the power going off all the time, we finally managed to get everything printed and got the tournament going. It would have been nice to have the tabulation on the computer, but the numerous power shutdowns made that impractical. Kathy did a great job of tabulation even though she had little light, even when they were on.

I had a great time. Didn’t matter that power was spotty, or that there was no air conditioning, or that I was sweating 10 gallons per hour. The camaraderie was great and I enjoyed myself tremendously.

In the first round, Socrates and I won our match 2-0 making a tough bank in the first and a difficult out in the second. In the fourth, Karate Mom and I took both games, each of us making tough 9-ball combinations. Up to, and including, the 5th round, I was shooting well. Making difficult shots. banks, long cuts, on top of my game. I could have been a contender. (Kato and I were tied at that point).

Then came the 6th round and the “Curse of Agnir”. Fred, himself, explained it in his own inimitable and highly scientific manner, to wit, “I’m snake bit.” Don’t get me wrong, Fred was not playing bad. Circumstances, and in this case his partner blowing 9-ball shots, were the problem. Kato was very lucky that match, having as a partner an 11 year old future “Hall of Famer” who carried him on to victory.

The “Curse”, for some reason, stayed with me for the rest of the tournament and was lifted only when we drew for the Talisman Case. Yep, I won the case!

I know I was crazy to change my plans to arrive in time for the Hurricane and everything, but I would do it all over again. Wonder of wonders, my wife Joanne also enjoyed our trip.

I’m sorry I didn’t post the statistics yesterday when we got home, but we hopped in a cab at 4:30 am Monday morning, flew to Detroit, then to Vancouver, then had to wait for the second sailing on the Ferry and arrived in home in Victoria at 5:30 PM (8:30 PM East coast time). I was just too tired.

I’m having trouble putting into words my feeling of appreciation for this most wonderful and enjoyable experience. I love you guys!

Steve Lipsky
09-23-2003, 11:27 AM
Hi Dave... sorry I missed it. It sounds like it was a ton of fun, and an event run very well!

It was great meeting you and your wife!

- Steve

Mr Ingrate
09-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Steve,

Enjoyed meeting you and watching you play. Good luck in the future.

Eric.
09-23-2003, 12:24 PM
First of all, I want to thank everybody that made it happen again. You know who you are. Special thanks to Barry and Brady Behrman. You are excellent hosts and your generousity is well appreciated. Keeps us coming back.

Anyway, the Tourney:

I got to Q-Masters at 10 AM for the start of the Tourney. As I'm driving into VA beach, I notice I didn't hit 1 red light. Maybe it had something to do with the power being out. By the time I got to Q-Masters, it was a foregone conclusion. We had no power. So like Lemmings, we all eventually gathered in the parking lot to scratch our heads. The good news is that Barry managed to get a generator and was waiting for the electrician to hook it up. O.K., we'll regroup at 12PM.

Return from lunch and the power is up, the fans are blowing and the A.C. is cranked. For now. In the Tournament area, Barry has us set up and everyone is hitting balls, gettting warmed up. Actually, we were hitting alot, making few. Seems like all of us, myself included, weren't in much shape to play pool, but thats another story.

The format was Scotch Doubles(you don't have to drink Scotch) and you have a different partner for each round. I have to say that this was a great social format for a tournament(good idea, Ross). 2 games per round, alternating break. There is a point scored for each win and the most points wins. Woofing and sh!t-talkin allowed.
Everything got under way with little fanfare. We managed to get 3 or 4 rounds with no problems until...

The generator cut out. Seems like the load of the lights/fans/A.C. was too much. I never realized how dark Q-Masters is. So just like home(NJ/NYC), when the power goes out, everyone goes nuts. I think someone suggested we build a campfire for light. Well, the good news is that they were able to reset the breaker and get the power on again. The bad news is that it would cut out every 5 minutes or so. Eventually, they decided to kill the A.C. to lighten the load. It was around 89 degrees and humid. Oh well. Play on. And play on we did. After awhile, you get used to the lights going out. It was like a shot clock, without someone saying "10".

So after a few hours(the lights going out didn't help) we get down to the last 3. It's Cass vs. Anonamus, shooting spot shots to see who goes into the finals. It was great the first 6 hours(just kidding), these guys kept making their shots. Good job. Eventually, it was down to Anonamus vs. Kato for the Super Duper King Pooper of the CCB Open, with Anonamus prevailing.

The prizes were handed out after each round. There were prizes for Break-n-Run, fastest 2 games, missing BIH, hooking your teammate accidentally, etc. You get the picture. The higher end prizes were won by blind draw. I'm not sure who won what, but I do know that Kato had a Shamrock up his butt. That was his day! Congratulations!

All in all, it was a helluva lot of fun. I'm still amazed that we got the tourney in at all, but Barry, Mr. Ingrate, Sactown Tommy and everyone else went the extra mile. Good job and thanks, I enjoyed it.

Eric >lost more weight sweating than the Atkins diet

09-23-2003, 03:26 PM

Ross
09-23-2003, 04:37 PM
I just wanted to say that all of you who were unable to come to the Open and the CCB 2nd Annual Chaotic 9-Ball Woof-Out, well, you missed a great time. Dave and all those who helped him ran a great tournament, and the CCB'ers were great about rolling with every punch Isabel could throw at them. (Well, except for Kato, who looked like he might need a short psychiatric commitment when the lights went out on him repeatedly as was shooting the 9 in the championship match. I did learn a few new choice curse words from him though that will come in handy in the future. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

I arrived too late to play in the tournament, but I felt immediately welcome when 9-Ball Girl greeted me with "Didja bring the tapes?" ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Once I reassured her I got to walk around and say hello to CCB'ers I knew and to meet some others for the first time. Between Dave's organization and Rich's wife Kathy entering the data on the computer, everything was running amazingly smoothly, especially under the circumstances. I, on the hand other, mostly wandered around watching so I could enjoy laughing at everyone's misses. I got to meet Chris Cass, Heidi and watch Spike play (Spike has a great stroke, by the way) but Chris was no fun to laugh at because he never missed...

SacTown Tommy was there but not playing in the tourney either, so after Anonamus Ed's beautiful girlfriend got tired of whipping up on him, I went over to shoot some with him. By this point, the lights were off more than on. Tom and I tried some run-outs in the semi-dark, and I found amazingly enough that the darkness did not affect my average run length.

As promised, Kato and Wendy were in cahoots with the prizes and managed to steal most of them, although Chris, Heidi, and Spike were able to snatch a prize each out of their greedy little clutching hands.

Seriously, to let you know what a great group this is, when I was wondering what I was going to do since my hotel reservations had been cancelled and I hadn't been able to find any vacancies, without hesitation three different CCB'ers offered me a place to stay. Thanks Wes, Eric, and Mike (or was it Brian? Can't remember! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). I took Eric up on the offer and we had a great time hanging out. He and I and Wendy went over to Q-Masters on Sat night and shot some and watched the action until 3 am. Watson, Frost, Wiseman and others matched up, Alex goofed around, and Chowan acted drunk and insulted everyone he could. He kept calling Alex "runner-up" and picking him up in the air like he was a toothpick. Chowan was actually pretty funny in small doses. Eric and Wendy would have stayed later, but I had the ride, so I drug them out. They were a blast to hang out and shoot with.

On Sunday, Chris from NC and I watched some of McCready/Jones match at the Open. Chris and his son and his son's friend all roped me into side wagers on the matches, but they only managed to get $10 from me collectively.

Rich R. and I watched the McCready/Parica match to get to the Finals, sitting not more than 10 feet from the table (try getting seats like that in tennis or football or baseball or whatever!). Keith was pretty hilarious, although he does cross the line sometimes in talking to his opponent. Rich was really pulling for Keith - I was just hoping he would cover the spread for my bet with Chris. Keith did manage to get into Parica's head to the extent that Parica ended up going off at Scott Smith yelling something about that "gd mf'er talking all the time." Great entertainment!

Overall, I had a great time. Never met a better bunch than this group of CCB'ers. My recommendation to all of you is, come hell or high water, do whatever you can to get to next years Open and the "3rd Annual CCB Lollapalooza and BS Fest".

Oh, yeah. One more recommendation -- See if you can figure out how to get in on that Kato/9-Ball Girl prize-winning racket! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cueball1950
09-23-2003, 09:18 PM
Wow. What good write ups. Dam sory i had to leave. Oh well, there is always next year. Would have loved to have been there for Keith's late Saturday and Sunday matches. Next year for sure i am staying till the finals. Congratulations to everyone who won prizes and trophies. Glad they finally were able to get the tourney in. Was great to see everybody again. And to meet Chris and family, and dave and his lovely wife and everybody i had not met before. Met so many new people that the names escape me. (must be age catching up with me)So forgive me for not remembering your names. See all of you next year.........................mike

Wally_in_Cincy
09-24-2003, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> I just wanted to say that all of you who were unable to come to the Open and the CCB 2nd Annual Chaotic 9-Ball Woof-Out, well, you missed a great time.....

.....Rich R. and I watched the McCready/Parica match to get to the Finals, sitting not more than 10 feet from the table.....

<hr /></blockquote>

I hate all of you.

And I hate Isabel.

and those big concrete trucks too....I hate those.

9 Ball Girl
09-24-2003, 07:59 AM
Hahahahaha! What a blast we had! I know what everyone won and I'll be posting those later. It was hot as hell, humid as hell (thank God for Gene buying me beers /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif). A good time was definitely has by all, Kato must've stepped on $hit 'cause he got lots (including the 2 Accustat tapes one because I hooked him and two because I set him up for the early 9 ball shot when we were partners). As usual, I have my travel horror story which I'll post later too.

I absolutely loved Fred and Jimmy! We sat front row at the Open and we (Fred, Jimbo, Gene, myself and I corrupted Spike) were doing the wave. It got the crowd laughing. Barry came over and asked me if I wanted him to make signs for us. He loved it. Then we had score cards for the score card girl when she walked by us. There are some things that you just had to be there to appeciate it.

And Cathy you were right. Guess where I headed to after the finals on Sunday. Q-Masters! I was there with Jimbo, Gene, Fred, and Phil 'til about 1ish AM and got back to pack and got to bed at about 3ish AM. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks everyone for the good memories.

Wendy~~~more stories to come...

Eric.
09-24-2003, 09:19 AM
ACtually, I think most people there wouldn't find it that challenging. You should have come to play, maybe mext year.

BTW, I may come down to Rockville to play in a Falcon Tour event in Oct., will you be playing?

Eric

Lester
09-24-2003, 09:50 AM
I'm planning on playing in it Eric and I hope to see you there. ***Lester*** /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-24-2003, 09:58 AM
And at least the tournament was not won this year by a ringer with very few posts.... oh wait, never mind.

Wally~~glad that "regulars" won the cue and case

Anonamus
09-24-2003, 11:04 AM
I'll take that as a compliment that you think I'm good enough to be a ringer.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-24-2003, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonamus:</font><hr> I'll take that as a compliment that you think I'm good enough to be a ringer. <hr /></blockquote>

Nice comeback. I like it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ralph S.
09-25-2003, 01:48 AM
Dammit, I am gonna be there next year come hell or high water /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Pun intended /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif