PDA

View Full Version : New Pool Halls In Brooklyn, NY

TomBrooklyn
04-10-2002, 04:58 PM
More Pool Halls Popping Up In Brooklyn
TomBrooklyn

Flash! Professional Three Cushion Billiard Player Sang Lee is a partner in a new upscale pool hall named PLATINUM that opened April 5 in the Sunset Park neighborhood of Brooklyn. The address is 225 47th Street and the phone numbers are (718)439-7122 voice and -6906 fax. This is Sang Lee's third pool hall in New York. His main room and the home of the United States Billiard Association is Carom Cafe (http://caromcafe.com/frameset.html) in Flushing, Queens. He opened another room on Grand Street, Brooklyn about six months ago.

This room opening comes on the coat tails of another pool hall opening in December of 2001 in the adjoining Brooklyn neighborhood of Park Slope called Park Slope Billiards (www.parkslopebilliards.com) which moved there from the lower east side of Manhatten, and is run by mother and son entrepenurial team Hilda and ACee.

The Bay Ridge/Sunset Park/Park Slope section of Brooklyn has supported a number of pool halls for many years and is widely recognized as a hotbed of pool talent. In addition to a number of smaller rooms, Billiards Hall of Famer Jean Balukas has a room on 70th Street, and there is the old Brownstone Billiards on Flatbush Ave where WPBA's first president Billy Billing holds court with weekly beginner classes and advanced instruction.

PLATIUM has three heated billiard tables, four snooker tables, and about twenty seven pool tables, eight of them Gold Crown IVs with the rest made by Cosmos. They feature a kitchen and serve liquor, the first pool hall in this part of Brooklyn to do either. Sang is currently playing in a three cushion tournement in Boston and was unavailable for comment at the time of this posting.

cuechick
04-10-2002, 07:05 PM
Tom,
Do you have any idea which train stops are near by? Also the one on Grand, is that in Williamsburg? A friend of mine mentioned that...
Thanks,
CC

TomBrooklyn
04-10-2002, 07:56 PM
CC:
For trains:
Park Slope Billiards: M, N, or R, Prospect Avenue station.
Platinum: N or R 45th Street station.
Hall of Fame: R, 69th St. station.

For Buses:
Park Slope Billiards: 63 best, 37, 67, and 77 are close.
Platinum: 37, x27, x28 best. 11, 63, 35, and 70 are close.
Hall of Fame: 63 or 1 best, 9, 70, 4, 37, x28 are close.

Carom II Cafe (718) 384-4230 is at 750 Grand Street around Williamsburg. I'm not sure what train or bus line serves it.

04-11-2002, 02:42 AM
Hey Tom is it just me or are those Cosmos tables really tight? They must be under 4 1/4, no?

04-11-2002, 09:41 AM
As a one-time resident of 45th street, it is nice to see something like a big, well-equipped poolroom move into the neighborhood. Now if the MTA would replace the 'trains from hell' with transportation one can count on, all would be peachy keen.

It's time to take a trip!

Steve Zielinski

stickman
04-11-2002, 09:59 AM
Aside from the difficulty you have in getting there, those of you who have such marvelous facilities to play in should consider yourselves very lucky. I have one poolhall where I live, and it's not fancy. I love it all the same. It doesn't open until 6:00 pm. The only other place to play is in the bars. I'd love to be able to go to a poolhall and practice during the day, while the wifes at work and the kids are at school. Going to the bars by myself and practicing on the slot tables just doesn't appeal to me. I guess I just need to find a way to get my own table. Right now there is no space for one. I'm trying to sell my house and the next one will hopefully have a room suitable.

04-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Well, there most certainly are tradeoffs involved here! Most days I do not feel too lucky.

Yes, New Yorkers do have many great (and not so great) pool halls (and restaurants) from which to choose, but we also have outrageous rents and many cruel landlords; the aforementioned MTA; crazy people who want to do us in; George 'The Boss'; 'The Donald'; Cablevision; more con artists than you can shake a stick at; politicians who are just one good newspaper article away from going to jail; bridges that threaten to fall into the river; etc. There are definite pluses and minuses!

Steve

TomBrooklyn
04-11-2002, 04:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: StephenZ:</font><hr>New Yorkers do have many great pool halls from which to choose; but we also have outrageous rents...the aforementioned MTA; and crazy people who want to do us in...<hr></blockquote> Steve, I used to think the city was full of nutty people and thats where all the crazies were. Then I spent a few months in rural Pennsylvania, and found out more about what nutty really is. Many of those folks make New Yorkers look like an ad for "How To Be Normal" We have nut-jobs that look pretty good next to a bunch of gun sling'n, liquored up and out of control country bumpkins. You want crazy? Try rural America, not New York City.

cheesemouse
04-11-2002, 04:40 PM
Tom, Here is a list of rules and answers to questions that will help you the next time you enter rural America:

&gt; It's called a 'gravel road.'
&gt;
&gt; I drive a pickup truck because I need it.
&gt;
&gt; No matter how slow you drive, you're going to get
&gt; dust on your Lexus.
&gt;
&gt; Drive it or get it out of the way.
&gt;
&gt; We all started hunting and fishing when we were nine
&gt; years old.
&gt;
&gt; Yeah, we saw BAMBI. We got over it.
&gt;
&gt; Any references to "corn fed" when talking about our
&gt; women will get
&gt; your tail kicked ... by our women.
&gt;
&gt; Go ahead and bring your $800 Orvis Fly Rod. Don't
&gt; cry to us if a
&gt; flathead breaks it off at the handle. We have a name
&gt; for that little
&gt; 3-inch trout you fish for...bait.
&gt;
&gt; Pull your droopy pants up. You look like an idiot.
&gt;
&gt; If that cell phone rings while a flock of dove are
&gt; coming in, we
&gt; will shoot it. You might hope you don't have it up
&gt; to your ear at the
&gt; time.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; That's right. Whiskey is only two bucks. We can buy
&gt; a fifth for
&gt; what you paid for that shot in the airport.
&gt;
&gt; High school football is as important here as the
&gt; Lakers and the
&gt; Knicks...and a dang sight more fun to watch.
&gt;
&gt; No, there's no "Vegetarian Special" on the menu.
&gt; Order steak. Order
&gt; it rare. Or, you can order the Chef's Salad and pick
&gt; off the two
&gt; pounds of ham and turkey. Yeah, we have sweet tea.
&gt; It comes in a
&gt; glass with two packets of sugar and a long spoon.
&gt;
&gt; You bring Coke into my house, it better be brown,
&gt; wet, and served
&gt; over ice.
&gt;
&gt; So you have a sixty-thousand dollar car. We're real
&gt; impressed. We
&gt; have quarter-million-dollar John Deere tractors that
&gt; we drive three
&gt; weeks a year.
&gt;
&gt; Let's get this straight. We have one stoplight in
&gt; town. We stop
&gt; when it's red. We may even stop when it's yellow.
&gt;
&gt; Our women hunt, fish, and drive trucks - because
&gt; they want to. So,
&gt; you're a feminist. Isn't that cute?
&gt;
&gt; Yeah, we eat catfish, carp, and crawdads. You really
&gt; want sushi and
&gt; caviar? It's available at the bait shop.
&gt;
&gt; They are pigs, cattle and sheep. That's what they
&gt; smell like. Get
&gt; over it.

&gt; The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season.
&gt; It's a
&gt; religious holiday held the closest Saturday to the
&gt; first of November.
&gt;
&gt; Every person in every pickup waves. It's called
&gt; being friendly. Try
&gt; to understand the concept.
&gt;
&gt; Yeah, we have golf courses. Don't hit in the water
&gt; hazards; it
&gt; spooks the fish.
&gt;
&gt; Our National Guard is only used as a back up. Per
&gt; capita, each man, woman
&gt; and child owns at least two firearms and has or has
&gt; not taken a NRA
&gt; Certified Shooter Education Course.

Hope this helps /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

stickman
04-11-2002, 05:36 PM
LMAO, cheesemouse. Sounds like home to me. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

04-11-2002, 07:16 PM
Tom:

I grew up in rural Pennsylvania and, well, there surely are a number of crazy ones there. Most of the ones I knew were quite proud of their craziness! Be that as it may, the crazy people I was referring to in my post were the terrorists flying planes into buildings and their brethren past, present and future. New York City is and will likely remain a target for such attacks. This possibility tends to undermine a bit the quality of life enjoyed by us New Yorkers.

Steve

Vagabond
04-11-2002, 07:57 PM
Hello mates,
Is cheese Mouse a Writer? He does have the style of a writer and I liked the style.
By the way did cheese mouse forget to mention about our competitions in Hub cap hurling and spitting the water melon seed?LOL
Vagabond

04-12-2002, 09:01 PM
Just did some practicing at Platinum and it certainly is a very nice room. The owners spent a lot of money on the place. The room was designed well -- it's spacious, very well lit and comfortable. One can play pool or hang out at the bar. It easily accommodates both kinds of patrons. Go there now while the cloth, bumpers and balls are new. I've never played on a new table. Playing on one a real treat. Steve, the Cosmos tables are tight, but no tighter than the Brunswick tables from what I could tell.

For those who want to make the trip by taking the N or R train, exit at 45th street, walk to 47th street and turn right. Platinum is located between Second and Third Avenues. It's also on the third floor, so bring an oxygen tank if you are a heavy smoker and don't get too drunk because it's a long drop down to the ground floor!

Steve Z