Qtec
09-25-2003, 04:56 AM
Check this out.

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/html/NV7-6.htm

is this a foul shot?

Qtec

Fred Agnir
09-25-2003, 05:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Check this out.

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/html/NV7-6.htm

is this a foul shot?<hr /></blockquote>If the balls are frozen, then it is not a foul by BCA Rule 3.23.

In my effort to start controversy on instructional material, I have a sneaking suspicion that the person doing the video is cheating. Maybe the perspective is throwing me off, but I think he's chalking the contact points like Byrne did in his videos. I don't think there is that much throw in regular conditions. Even dirty conditions don't get that much throw. Now, everyone go to their table at home and prove me wrong.

Fred

Qtec
09-25-2003, 05:45 AM
If you watch the slo-mow, there doesnt seem to be as much throw as in the normal video. It also looks like he makes a double hit. The tip hits the Qb when it is almost half ball instead as the original position, namely full ball.

The perspective as you say could be misleading.

I was expecting him to hit the Ob thin and not straight on.

I,m sure if I played that shot over here most would call it a push.

I liked the soft 9ball break. I dont know about the tables you play on but mostly over here its a big problem trying to get the balls racked properly. I,m almost sure that the balls are very rarely able to be racked exactly the same way, every time. If you dont pot the 1 its a giveaway.

Anyway, interesting site though. I,ll bet he cant play for s#it.

Q

randyg
09-25-2003, 06:33 AM
I have studied that video before. It looks like a legal shot (World Rules) but explained very poorly if not incorectly...randyg

nhp
09-25-2003, 07:27 AM
Who is that guy? He's got a funny power break.

jjinfla
09-25-2003, 07:57 AM
Your perspective is wrong Fred. The throw is only six inches in 4 feet. (Half Diamond) You should be able to throw it 12 inches if you try it the length of the table.

It must be easy because I can do it. Just slow the stroke down and push through the CB. In the video it looks like he stroked pretty hard and still made it. But he did hit the edge of the pocket so it was only a 4 inch throw.

The slower the stroke, the greater the throw.

Jake

Rod
09-25-2003, 08:55 AM
What he says and what happens isn't the same. Those two balls arn't completly frozen. I hear a distinctive clicking on that stroke, it was a double hit. There is no click when two balls are frozen. This guy is an instructor? His form is terrible, looks like an amature.

Rod

Qtec
09-25-2003, 09:53 AM
The slower the stroke the more the throw. Sounds to me that it is because of the double hit. You can see it on the slo-mow.

Q

griffith_d
09-25-2003, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> What he says and what happens isn't the same. Those two balls arn't completly frozen. I hear a distinctive clicking on that stroke, it was a double hit. There is no click when two balls are frozen. This guy is an instructor? His form is terrible, looks like an amature.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

It is amazing what cameras can do,....take anyone and turn them into a pro.

Griff

Cueless Joey
09-25-2003, 02:59 PM
<hr /></blockquote>

It is amazing what cameras can do,....take anyone and turn them into a pro.

Griff <hr /></blockquote>
The six-inch pockets helped a little too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Man, those are huge pockets.

Rod
09-25-2003, 03:23 PM
I can hear it. LOL I thought he said the balls were frozen. If they are froze, there can't be a double hit on a normal stroke. Watch that guy break, his body moves back and forth with each stroke. You can't hide that with any camera. LOL

Rod

Alfie
09-25-2003, 03:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> His form is terrible, looks like an amature.<hr /></blockquote>Look at his resume. There's nothing about pool.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateuts
09-26-2003, 09:27 AM
Very funny. The way the cue ball travels is the give away. On a legal hit, it can't do what it does. This is either a double hit or a push shot foul pure and simple. Now, let's see his jump shot!

Chris

CrispyFish
09-26-2003, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Very funny. The way the cue ball travels is the give away. On a legal hit, it can't do what it does. This is a double hit pure and simple. Now, let's see his jump shot!

Chris <hr /></blockquote>
Jump shot is here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/html/NV7-13.htm).

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-CF

dr_dave
12-01-2004, 03:37 PM
The URL for this video clip has changed. All of the online video demonstrations can now be found at:
www.engr.colostate.edu/pool/normal_videos (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/index.html)