PDA

View Full Version : Ferrules and wraps!!!

Pied Piper
09-25-2003, 05:44 AM
I have played with lots of ferrules and only a couple of wraps. Since I am getting a custom cue very shortly, I would like to know if anyone has played with a black water buffalo horn ferrule. I would also like anyone's take on different ferrules they have used etc. I am not too fond of ivory myself. If anyone has an idea for a wrap, I would like to hear that too!!

Optimus_P
09-25-2003, 08:22 AM
irish linen seems to be a standard for cue wraps. feels alot niCer and dryer then the others. my hand dosent feel like ass after hold it all day.

i would opt for no wrap or irish linen if i had my choice. (and in this case i did opt for irish linen on my custom jackson)

the furrule is ivorine III according to jackson. i personaly couldnt tell you the differance between one or the other but this holds teh tip well. and the cue itself is very solid.

Popcorn
09-25-2003, 09:33 AM
The way the ferrule is made has as much, maybe more, to do with how it feels and plays then the material.. Many cues use a capped ferrule often with a tenon 5/16 in diameter and as short as 1/2 inch to 3/4 of an inch long inside of a 1 inch capped ferrule. Add to this the fact it may be threaded and the tenon is even weaker. I prefer a ferrule with the hole drilled all the way through with a little larger tenon. Ideal for me is a ferrule with a tenon 11/32 to 3/8 all the way through the ferrule. Some may say the ferrule wall is too thin and may break. I would say, so what, it probably won't break, but even if it did, the ferrule is expendable, the play of the cue is more important. A material like LBM (linen based melamine) is a good choice. It is strong, looks nice and cleans easily. I would not comment on wraps, that is just a personal choice.