PDA

View Full Version : to wrap or not to wrap

ms_cue
09-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Question- I have a linen wrap on my cue that needs to be redone. 1st any thoughts on whether or not I should get it re wrapped or just leave the cue without a wrap. 2- Any preferences for wrap or no wrap.

Kato
09-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Once it's wrapped it has to stay wrapped. A cue without wrap is cut differently if I'm not mistaken.

Kato

Rich R.
09-25-2003, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Once it's wrapped it has to stay wrapped. A cue without wrap is cut differently if I'm not mistaken.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>
You are dead on correct. A thin layer of wood is cut away to allow for the thinkness of the wrap.

JPB
09-25-2003, 08:08 AM
This cue you must re-wrap as said above. Consider leather though. The last cue I got is a custom and I had a leather wrap put on it. I can't believe how much more I like it than linen. Some linen is OK, other linen drives me nuts. I have one linen wrap cue where if you grip the cue as lightly as you should, it slips and slides a lot. Another cue I have the linen wrap is OK. Future cues for me will be no-wrap cues or a leather wrap I think. Try some no-wrap cues. There are some nice ones out there. Also, see if you can try leather. The original leather on an old Hoppe I have is still playable. Linen is what everybody uses so everybody uses it. Not the best reason to use it when you think about it.

Rod
09-25-2003, 02:11 PM
As mentioned it has to have a wrap or you'll have a gap. I like linnen but I like it with a firm press. You can control that texture when you take it in. Just tell them what you like, or as mentioned, try leather.

Rod

Eric.
09-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but:

What do YOU prefer?

Does it really matter, after that?

FWIW, I like the pressed Irish linen. Pressed with starch and spun/iron dried on a lathe. Gives it a smooth/slightly tacky surface. Works for me.

Eric &gt;not into Rap

Keith Talent
09-25-2003, 02:46 PM
I wasn't so sure which way to go either until I got a sneaky pete and switched off every rack between that and my regular, linen-wrapped cue. I found the wrapped cue always felt cool and dry after shooting with the sneaky, which left me with a bit of a sweaty grip.

Also noticed difference between my original cue with a plain black wrap, which had a ridgy pattern, and a speckled black-white wrap on a newer cue, which gripped better -- for me, at least.

ms_cue
09-26-2003, 08:32 AM
Hey guys thanks for the advice. I've always played w/ a linen wrapped cue. I'm thinking I like the idea of a leather wrap, but I guess I'll have to see what I decide when I talk with someone who can do it for me properly. If I want to experiment playing w/o a wrap, I'll play w/my break cue (maybe while I'm getting it re-wrapped).

justbrake
09-26-2003, 06:10 PM
I have a meucci 97-27 and it has a white lacquer finnish, can this be done over to a leather wrap or just a irish linin wrap /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Thanks-justbrake

Nostroke
09-26-2003, 06:18 PM
If your hands sweat a wrap is a must . Otherwise no but i do think most players just have a wrap because it always comes with the more expensive cues and is just seen as "higher quality" I like leather or no wrap!

justbrake
09-26-2003, 06:25 PM
i didn't really look into it when buying and didn't really expect it to be a lacqeur finish over a linin wrap(as some sellers didn't say it was) it feels all to lacquer(and like you say the sweat) to me and wanted to know if it could be changed over to a wrap! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nostroke
09-26-2003, 06:34 PM
I think all Meuccis are like that but i think you can change it to a regular wrap at some expense so id say better to sell it and get what you want now that you are more informed.

justbrake
09-26-2003, 06:42 PM
live and learn! I would like to try a lot of cues before buying again like i said in my previous post if only there were some cue show as like computer and gun shows out there

stickman
09-26-2003, 10:16 PM
I've always had a linen wrap, but that's just because the sticks came that way. I've never had any grip problems when playing with an unwrapped house cue. I've often thought that if I were ever going to spend a bunch of money on fancy wood, and have a custom cue made, I wouldn't want to cover half of it up with linen. JMO

CarolNYC
09-27-2003, 04:33 AM
Hi there,
I would agree with the others that, its your preference!:)
I had my Helmstetter rewrapped by Ted Harris and, may I add, he did a damn good job!I just gave it to him and asked him to wrap it with whatever he thought would look nice, and he did!
Good luck!
Carol:)

Rich R.
09-27-2003, 04:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> live and learn! I would like to try a lot of cues before buying again like i said in my previous post if only there were some cue show as like computer and gun shows out there <hr /></blockquote>
If possible, go to the Super Billiards Expo, next march.
http://www.superbilliardsexpo.com/

Braditude
09-28-2003, 10:25 AM
I agree it is simply personal preferance. I my self (even though my hands sweat)prefer no wrap because I believe a wrap muffles the feel of the hit. I also agree that expensive exotic wood gives alot more appealing look than the wrap

Bruins Fan
09-28-2003, 06:19 PM
I have a wrap on my stick for 10 years and am use to it I have shot with a mucci which do not have a wrap and could not adjust. I like the grip of having something to hold and consistent all the way through. A leather grip i have not shot with but would have that threaded seam on it and would either get use to the seam or not but it is all what you are confident with.

pooltchr
09-29-2003, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> I have a meucci 97-27 and it has a white lacquer finnish, can this be done over to a leather wrap or just a irish linin wrap /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Thanks-justbrake <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure it could be done...but I don't know why you would want to put lacquer over a leather wrap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

justbrake
09-29-2003, 08:13 AM
If you though that I meant to put a lacquer over a leather wrap or a linen again( as it's done now on the cue )that isn't what I meant. what I'm asking is can you take the linen with the lacquer finish off and just put either a linen or a leather wrap on ( no Lacquer) now this has a build-up(number of coats) of a lacquer over the wrap so to meet the finished butt itself so it would probably have to be built up some what!to meet where the linen ends.

BLACKHEART
09-29-2003, 08:39 AM
My playing Q, as well as my break Q, both have wooden handles with no wrap. Probably 1/2 of the Qs, that I make, have no wrap. It must be a trend, because companies like Mcdermott, who is the biggest in our industry, now offer high end Qs with wooden handles...JER

Aboo
09-29-2003, 09:34 AM
I have a McDermott cue with a black leather wrap. I love playing with it, however. When I get nervous and my hands sweat a little bit or it's very humid. The cue does NOT feel different, nor do I have problems with slippage. But when I get home I have to wash my right hand well due to the black stain all over it! LOL

So, make sure it's natural leather, and not dyed leather.

Fred Agnir
09-29-2003, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> If you though that I meant to put a lacquer over a leather wrap or a linen again( as it's done now on the cue )that isn't what I meant. what I'm asking is can you take the linen with the lacquer finish off and just put either a linen or a leather wrap on ( no Lacquer) now this has a build-up(number of coats) of a lacquer over the wrap so to meet the finished butt itself so it would probably have to be built up some what!to meet where the linen ends.
<hr /></blockquote>
I had a Meucci cue that I had the finish taken off the wrap, and then rewrapped with Irish Linen. The wrap ended up a little "below" the butt sleeve. Wasn't a big deal to me, but it could be to someone else, I suppose. Maybe I'll take a picture someday.

Fred