PDA

View Full Version : The Monk

dmgwalsh
09-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Anybody read any of his books. I just started reading one on eight ball and he has my head spinning. He talks about punch shots and high right draw and things that don't seem to fit in with other things I've been taught and read. Anybody read that book and like it?

Bassn7
09-25-2003, 10:21 AM
As an avid "reader" of the Monk's material, and a friend of his . . . there is some great stuff in those books. The 'punch' shot is one of the greatest weapons around. Learn to master it. If some of the material doesn't make sense, have an instructor help out.

Aboo
09-25-2003, 11:37 AM
I read Point The Way a while back... A friend gave it to me after he bought it at a billiards shop and read through it. He didn't like it at all. His quote: "I wanted advice on pool, not meditation and past lives!"

Now, I read the book and I found that it was great. Some really good insights, and fun reading too. If your looking for books on PLAYING pool, Point the Way is not the one. But if your looking for books on the mental side of pool, it's good.

That's all I've read of his. I would like to pick up "The Lesson" though. I've heard great things about it.

Billy
09-25-2003, 03:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Anybody read any of his books. I just started reading one on eight ball and he has my head spinning. He talks about punch shots and high right draw and things that don't seem to fit in with other things I've been taught and read. Anybody read that book and like it? <hr /></blockquote>

high right draw huh /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif and /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I've always thought that his mental portion of his books were worthwhile but when it comes to playing instruction,he can't play at all so I just disgard this info immediately

jmo

09-26-2003, 10:58 AM

Wally_in_Cincy
09-26-2003, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr>
....I suspect that he got this concept from Fast Larry /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah everybody steals FL's stuff. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dmgwalsh
09-26-2003, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Anybody read any of his books. I just started reading one on eight ball and he has my head spinning. He talks about punch shots and high right draw and things that don't seem to fit in with other things I've been taught and read. Anybody read that book and like it? <hr /></blockquote>

high right draw huh /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif and /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I've always thought that his mental portion of his books were worthwhile but when it comes to playing instruction,he can't play at all so I just disgard this info immediately

jmo

<hr /></blockquote>

I haven't read the book, but high right draw means to me: using the 'bar room' draw (hitting down on the ball kind of like a masse shot) with a little right english. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I was taught recently by Scott Lee to use a real low hit on the ball for draw, so I think for now I will, just stick with the strokes I've been taught and not confuse myself too much with high right draw and the like.

RedHell
09-26-2003, 12:56 PM
I believe you need to learn to control your draw both ways. Sometimes you will need a soft hit with a low draw tip and sometimes you will need a hard hit with very little draw (a higher tip position).

There's a very good drill about this in the 99 critical shots. And it's about stop shots, wich in fact is a very controled draw shot.

Rod
09-26-2003, 01:11 PM
I think that is a good idea. Using high when talking about low doesn't even belong in the same sentence.

Rod

ChrisW
09-26-2003, 03:13 PM
I believe the Monk teaches different types of strokes
so when he says "High Right Draw" he would mean "high right"
on the cue ball with a "draw" stroke.

Just like "punch" is a stroke,not the outcome.

I guess you have to look
at everything as what you do to the cue ball, not what
the cue ball does after you hit it.
Its a confusing concept.

Chris

Billy
09-26-2003, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChrisW:</font><hr> I believe the Monk teaches different types of strokes

Its a confusing concept.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

as we speak I'm now practicing my low left 'follow' stroke as opposed to the high right 'draw' stroke /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif and getting some nifty results with some right hand spin that goes left if you hit it high enough at the bottom

not confusing at all!

not to be harsh but the pool police need to ticket the monk for impersonating a playing instructor

imo

Rod
09-26-2003, 04:55 PM
I believe the Monk teaches different types of strokes

You bet, there are a number of strokes that make up this game, I teach them. But never have I, or anyone I have ever known, or heard of, refer to using high with a draw stroke.
He must smoke some good stuff. I still don't understand that sentence. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

~~ rod, just wonders

dmgwalsh
09-27-2003, 07:36 AM
The 8 Ball book, page 36: "Use one tip above center, one cue tip right and deliver a draw stroke."
He talks about follow draw,power follow.
He says there are 4 strokes: punch stroke, follow stroke, draw stroke and spin stroke. Maybe he's talking about how far the stick goes after contacting the cue ball. He explains the spin stroke as "simply flicking the cue stick into the cue ball to impart spin". He doesn't explain exactly what the does for the draw , but says" snap the cue ball to the target, and allow the return of the cue ball" He then talks about a follow through draw and a snap back draw. I think he means a stop shot for the punch stroke. The follow shot "allows the cue to slip through your grip, loose, limp and fluid"

I was taught to use a complete follow up on almost all strokes, stop, draw, follow. Except when I just did an abbreviated stroke to do a half of lag type of speed for a soft hit and minimal cue action.

What do you guys think about all these differnt kind of hits in his book?

bluewolf
09-27-2003, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr>
I was taught to use a complete follow up on almost all strokes, stop, draw, follow. Except when I just did an abbreviated stroke to do a half of lag type of speed for a soft hit and minimal cue action.

What do you guys think about all these differnt kind of hits in his book?

<hr /></blockquote>

The only draw I practice is the low and level because that is the hardest for me. That is the one Scott Lee taught to me, and having only been playing pool seriously for one year, it is the one I have the least experience with.

30 years ago when I played on barboxes for several years,i used the 'bar room draw' so do not practice this . I was also introduced to english then, so am currently practicing this just in terms of refining how much english.

In a match, I draw better than in practice regardless of which one I use, I guess because I am not thinking then, just being natural, sort of. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The shot described above sounds like the way I practice masse shots [which I am weak at] if I read it correctly. Hard to tell without reading the book and knowing if it has pictures of this shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Laura