PDA

View Full Version : Fred's Van Gogh

Keith Talent
09-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Seeing Van Gogh's "Night Cafe" on Fred's posts reminded me of a pool novel "Table Legs," that uses the picture on its cover.

Anybody here read it? Can't find a mention of it in the archives. Just tried to import an image of the cover from BN Web site, but am too low-tech to figure that out.

A friend of mine lent me a copy a few months ago, said an old pal of his, reportedly a decent player, had written it. I found it pretty entertaining, considering I used to frequent the room that the story revolves around.

Review by Publishers Weekly excerpted here from bn.com isn't so hot, but that's got to be because the critic can't run 3 friggin' balls! Beats "Pool Hall Junkies" easy, anyway. Climactic scene is a one-pocket showdown.

"Andy Hessel, the narrator of this short first novel, is a high school student who spends every free minute in pool rooms on Manhattan's Upper West Side and 14th St. He runs with a pretty mean crowd of cue-pushers, dudes with names like Table Legs, Killer Diller, Hats Gonzalez, Rebel and Cigar Bill.

"As a coming-of-age novel, the story goes nowhere. It's really about shooting pool, which, as the promo notes, has been one of the author's favorite pastimes. ... This half-baked fable will appeal mainly to pool players and others who fondly remember New York City's bygone days of billiard glory."

heater451
09-26-2003, 03:56 PM
I hope B&N don't mind the deep link. . . .

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/5090000/5094360.gif

=======================

Keith Talent
09-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Heater, fine reproduction. Surprised nobody's read it. Not a bad tale about how one gets hooked on the game, for better and worse.