PDA

View Full Version : The one chalk distance rule???

Pied Piper
09-26-2003, 05:00 PM
Ok at my local place of billiards, I was just informed of a one chalk distance rule. It states apparently, that if the ball is closer to the ball than one chalks with than the cue ball must be struck at an angle no less than 60 degrees, masse'd, jump shot, or the cue ball an not travel farther than one ball length. Is this true? If so where can I find up to date rules such as these? I haven't been able to locate it on the internet.

Rod
09-26-2003, 05:23 PM
The cue does not have to be at 60 degrees. Just make sure you don't double hit the ball.

2.20 JUDGING DOUBLE HITS
When the distance between the cue ball and the object ball is less than the width of a chalk cube, (See Diagram 18) special attention from the referee is required. In such a situation, unless the referee can positively determine a legal shot has been performed, the following guidance may apply: if the cue ball follows through the object ball more than 1/2 ball, it is a foul.

Here is a link to the BCA general rules of pocket billiards.
BCA (http://www.bca-pool.com/play/)

Rod

randyg
09-26-2003, 05:29 PM
That's not a rule, it's a guideline for BCA Referees....randyg

PoolFool
09-27-2003, 09:58 AM
For RandyG or anyone that knows. In an 8 ball game, if the cue ball is frozen to one of your balls and down table you have an object ball hanging in the pocket is it a legal shot to use english and make the cue ball follow the ball you were frozen to down table to pocket the object ball (not a combination since the frozen ball never touches the object ball)? I have made this shot several times but never in a BCA game.

PoolFool (New to the BCA league play)

Rod
09-27-2003, 10:10 AM
If the balls are frozen or called frozen by your opponent or a ref in match play, then yes it is legal. It has to be a normal stroke, it can't be a "push" type of stroke.

Rod

Alfie
09-27-2003, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pied Piper:</font><hr> Ok at my local place of billiards, I was just informed of a one chalk distance rule. It states apparently, that if the ball is closer to the ball than one chalks with than the cue ball must be struck at an angle no less than 60 degrees, masse'd, jump shot, or the cue ball an not travel farther than one ball length. Is this true? If so where can I find up to date rules such as these? I haven't been able to locate it on the internet. <hr /></blockquote>I suppose it could be a weird house rule. Does the house furnish you with a chalk cube and a 60 degree measuring device? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
09-27-2003, 11:17 AM
"it can't be a "push" type of stroke."

START(
%Ap8Q1%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pp9R3%Wr6D4%Xp9P6
)END

Rod...I've shot this as many have I suspect, throwing the frozen one into the corner. Thing is though, it has to be hit with a gentle, and yes I sense there is very much of a push stroke in the details because it has to be hit with minimal speed. Are you saying that my stroke here is invalid? I always figured frozen made it fully legal, cuz I swear I've seen instructional tapes doing the same way I play. Thanks,,,sid

stick8
09-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Go to www.texas express rules.com it will explain rule . the qb can not pass center of ob. that it.

Rod
09-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Nope, I'm not saying it is a foul. I'd have to see someone shoot the shot first. There are obviously gentle or very soft strokes that are not a push. If your in a match however with a ref, local or (like in Vegas) it could be called if he sees any hint of a push stroke. Here is the BCA legal definition, if your stroke resembles this, it may be called a foul.

3.24 PUSH SHOT FOULS
It is a foul if the cue ball is pushed by the cue tip, with contact being maintained for more than the momentary time commensurate with a stroked shot. (Such shots are usually referred to as push shots.)

Anytime I've ever ref'ed a shot similar, the person stroked the shot, (well enough) so they would not foul. I had a guy one time decide to be tricky. This could have been a possible push or a double hit. Oh he hit the ball all right, he whacked it! Sent the c/b, o/b, with his cue right into the stack. If it was a court of law I'd have thrown the book at him for being so stupid. People that stupid shouldn't be allowed on the street. LOL
Instead I just called a foul because of a double hit. He said how can you call that, it was so fast you could not of seen that happen!

Now I'm thinking if I was a judge in a court of law I'd have him hanged at sunrise. LOL

I said your cue went through 2 other balls besides the one frozen to the c/b.

He still thinks it's impossible to tell! Now I'm thinking to hell with the Judge we'll have a hanging right here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Anyway I sent him a clear message, no not abusive, and he agreed it was a foul. Actually you could tell it was a foul even if you didn't watch the shot.

~~~rod, her com da judge

Rich R.
09-27-2003, 02:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> That's not a rule, it's a guideline for BCA Referees....randyg <hr /></blockquote>
A very similar guideline is also used in the APA.

Sid_Vicious
09-27-2003, 06:32 PM
"He said how can you call that, it was so fast you could not of seen that happen!"

I won't mention a name but this reminded me of a hint I got from someone who refs in LV concerning a question about getting a judge to watch when two balls are really close(a split combo, not frozen CB/OB.) He said to load up more speed and you'd always get the call cuz of the speed at impact. It sounded chichen-S to me, but maybe there's a phylosophy around that intentional routine....sid~~~won't play that way, just remembered it from your post