PDA

View Full Version : bluebook of cues, is it worth buying!

justbrake
09-26-2003, 07:32 PM
dose anybody have the bluebook of cues and is it worth buying! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
09-26-2003, 09:05 PM
Well I have one and I'm going to sell it. It's a good book for a rough guess or possibly identifying a cue. Like I say pricing is what the market will bear and that is subject to change for a given maker. If your into buying cues then I would think you would want that book.

tateuts
09-26-2003, 09:17 PM
If you are a collector, dealer, cue maker, or just love cues, the Blue Book is for you.

The current edition is the Blue Book of Pool Cues Second Edition published in 1999. The first 104 pages contain useful information about the history of the cue and cue makers, rating and collecting cues, as well as color photos of an array of past and modern cue makers and manufacturers. The photos alone are worth the price of admission - a cue to drool over for everyone. Then there is almost 500 pages covering the history and contact information for most modern cue makers and some famous older makers, with photos of many cues for identification and their approximate values.

It is an excellent resource. I have always considered the price of $29.95 to be a bargain considering the limited market for a reference book of this sort and the amount of work compiling the information. It actually is a good read as well - not cut and dry at all.

While the Blue Book is a good reference, the values should just be used as general guidelines. Much has changed in the collector market since the book was published with values having declined in most cases.

Chris

Rod
09-26-2003, 09:47 PM
Much better review Chris, what he said! LOL

Jimmy B
09-27-2003, 05:19 AM
I'd say wait a while and buy the BB III it's in production now and it's sure to blow away anything that we've seen in the past. The new Bluebook will have more cues and more color pictures, I'd say it will be for sale by the Hopkins show next year, give or take 12 months:-)

JB

bolo
09-27-2003, 10:16 AM
I don't think it will be out till the middle or toward the end of 2004, if at all. I spoke to the people at Blue Book Publications the other day and they told me that Brad Simpson, Victor Stein and Paul Rubino are no longer involved. We will have to see if it even happens. I know they want to charge the cue makers a fee, (Something like $300.00 or more) to be included in the new book. That may have an effect on the project even happening. I would not count on it any time soon.

Jimmy B
09-27-2003, 02:43 PM
Bolo it is now in the process of being put together, many of the things you mentioned are lies, there is no charge for cuemakers to get in and it is in the works. I have already been involved with the project and can tell you it will happen, unless of course things go very wrong. Right now we are in a period where many people are buying cue making equiptment and calling themselves cuemakers, although there isn't a charge it's not possible to let everyone get in the book, it would end up being like a phone book. They are trying to put an extensive listing of all cuemakers, so if you have any lesser known guys in your area feel free to e-mail me with some contact info on them and I will see what I can do to get them looked at.One thing I would also say is that you shouldn't get your info from people who are no longer involved in the project. In any event the BBII is now a few years old and not so good as a price guide, it's still a great book if you want to look at pics of cues. JB

bolo
09-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Just going by what I was told by the people at The Blue Book. If you are directly involved I will take your word for it. They gave me another number to call, I believe in California I was going to call Monday.

Ralph S.
09-28-2003, 03:05 AM
With the reality of a BB3 on the way, I would hold off on buying one. They are nice to have, and yes, I have the second edition. My advice would be to look in second hand book stores or flea markets and see if you can find one at a reduced price. If you can survive with out it, wait for the third edition.

Fred Agnir
09-28-2003, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> dose anybody have the bluebook of cues and is it worth buying! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Sure it is. Buy the 2nd Edition now. Buy the 1st Edition as a collector's edition if you can get it. Buy the 3rd edition when it comes out.

The 1st edition, IMO, wasn't all that great. The 2nd was pretty good. The 3rd is sure to be much better.

Fred