PDA

View Full Version : Playing well with a funky cue

Leviathan
09-27-2003, 07:33 AM
I bought a cheap sneaky pete recently. Its a crude piece of work, a real blunderbuss. It's 3 inches shorter than my other cues, and extremely stiff. I've been playing way over my head with the damn thing.

Playing with this unfamiliar cue has made me very careful about my stance, bridge length, stroke, and aiming--basic stuff. It's the same old lesson: the cue is less important than the player's willingness to do what it takes to make a good shot.

DM

JPB
09-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Yes, but the cue is much stiffer and has less weight in the joint than your others probably. These are qualities that make a better cue. I have been hinting at that in a couple recent posts. And I didn't figure it out until playing a lot with a cue that was designed right. Spent years wondering why that old helmstetter production carom cue I was dumb enough to sell played so much better than other cues I owned. It is no mistake that billiard players play with short stiff cues that balance better. The shaft taper is too extreme for pool really, but that can be dealt with.

The sneaky pete you are playing with is probably the best cue as far as playability that you own, regardless of price and workmanship. You might be paying more attention, I agree that a switch can get you concentrating etc..., but I'd guess the cue's hit and balance has something to do with it.

So now the question is if you are willing to shed conformity and standard design and go with something that plays really well, probably better than your SP. If so there are options.

Leviathan
09-27-2003, 10:30 AM
JPB: Your observations are interesting. I do like the sneaky pete's stiffness, and I've been thinking about getting a very stiff shaft for my regular cue, as an experiment. My regular cue's shafts vary in stiffness and weight, and I do prefer to play with the stiffest and heaviest of them.

DM

AzBlueMach1
09-28-2003, 12:53 AM
Wierd thing. There was a 15oz house cue that I used to play lights out with it. I would always switch back to that cue when I was having problems.

cheesemouse
09-28-2003, 05:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> I bought a cheap sneaky pete recently. Its a crude piece of work, a real blunderbuss. It's 3 inches shorter than my other cues, and extremely stiff. I've been playing way over my head with the damn thing.

Playing with this unfamiliar cue has made me very careful about my stance, bridge length, stroke, and aiming--basic stuff. It's the same old lesson: the cue is less important than the player's willingness to do what it takes to make a good shot.

DM [/quote

Leviathan,

I think you have just presented a good question about the process of becoming a good player. It is generally excepted that in order to become proficient and skillful in this game,and many other games, one has to repetitively hit the shots that are required for your quiver. The theory goes that while hitting these shots over and over you are actually training your muscles or giving the muscles a memory to do the job on their own without the interferance of your mind and its direction. I think some call this 'letting it happen' or the 'zone'. How does one access the progress of this muscle memory? Your post is clue. I think when you pick up a piece of lumber, a piece of driftwood or for that matter the finest cue ever made, your muscles download what they got by feedbacking to your head stuff like "what the hell is this?" or "man, this thing feels super, I better buy it" (this could be why I have 14 putters) ... LOL I think it is good thing to periodically download that muscle memory just so you can review what your muscles are doing without your knowledge........I hope this makes some kind of sense because I had a very late night and it is now 6am....anyway Leviathan, good post in MHO........

Leviathan
09-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks, Cheese. Hope you've had a good season on the golf course. Your theory of the development of skill in pool makes sense to me.

--DM

cheesemouse
09-28-2003, 10:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Thanks, Cheese. Hope you've had a good season on the golf course. Your theory of the development of skill in pool makes sense to me.

--DM <hr /></blockquote>

Lev,
My golf season sucked. I think I'm suffering age related distance loss, thankfully there is still the short game...LOL...my partner and I did win the team championship.
The reason your post rang a bell is that I am in the process of dusting off the pool game for the winter and I'm going thru my cue combinations to see which will ones will go in the case. I only have until this coming weekend to get my ducks in a row. I'm glad to be off the pasture pool and into some real hardball...LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif