PDA

View Full Version : Info on Matlock vs Bowman match

dardusm
09-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Just curious if the match was played and the results?

Thanks

Karatemom
09-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Yes, they did play last night. Dave managed to prevail over Jesse in both sets. I don't remember the scores, but Jesse got no rolls whatsoever. Dave shot very well, but hardly ever left Jesse a clear hit. Jesse shot well considering the circumstances.

Heide

SRpool
10-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Is it true that it was just an exhibition match and not for a large amount of money? Anyway, I heard Dave won 15-6 both matches. He must be playing very well and getting the rolls. Wish I could have been there to watch regardless.

mike_in_iowa
10-01-2003, 05:50 PM
talking to whitey and another guy that was there and they both said Dave played jam up. they played rack your own and jesse had a lot of trouble making balls when he broke. He also made a couple careless errors early and Dave took advantage.

While the stakes were not huge( about 6** on each ) it was the first time in 8 years anybody stepped up to play Dave on a bar table. the last being jose parica.

Karatemom
10-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Now I heard something a little different. As for the stakes, it was an exhibition match for $500 to the winner of 2/3 sets, race to 15, of which Dave won both.

Jesse did make a couple of missed shots and couldn't make anything on the break, but Dave got a lot of rolls. And I mean a lot! It seemed almost as though everytime Dave missed, Jesse was hooked.

I also heard that the only way this match up would happen was if it was "rack your own", which I disagree with, but oh well, LOL.

All in all, I was sad to see Jesse lose, but it was nice to see 2 tremendous players shoot.

My .02

Heide

Chris Cass
10-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Not to take anything from David because I do like him but,... Out of 30 games that David won 28 of the breaks he made the corner wing ball. I tried to get $50. on that bet alone but no takers. Jesse knew this but being exhibition he felt he wouldn't say anything. David did stipulate that it had to be rack your own, go figure. Hey, but all in all David did shoot well. Goes to show ya, the break means a lot.

One thing is, I always seem to have a great time at Whiteys. The food is excellent and it's always a happy atmosphere. No doubt Jess and David will lock horns again. They seem to play eachother at all the tourney events. I look forward to going there again soon.

Regards,

C.C.~~just my $50.02 cents worth....

ted harris
10-01-2003, 11:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr>...it was the first time in 8 years anybody stepped up to play Dave on a bar table. the last being jose parica. <hr /></blockquote>
Didn't Kid Delicious play him several months ago an ahead set for like ten large?

Eric.
10-02-2003, 08:20 AM
Hey Chris,

Just curious if Matlock was breaking from the rail or the edge of the box. I find some success in breaking from the end of the box on a bar table.

Eric

dardusm
10-02-2003, 10:26 AM
That match was on a 9 foot table.

Aboo
10-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Is their a way to gaurantee that wing ball will go every time?? If there is, I'd like to know so I can watch out for that!

Fred Agnir
10-02-2003, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr> Is their a way to gaurantee that wing ball will go every time?? If there is, I'd like to know so I can watch out for that! <hr /></blockquote>

I think you can increase the chance for that wing ball to go in if you have a slight gap between it and the next ball (towards the foot rail).

Fred

burr1t0
10-02-2003, 01:46 PM
To start the match Dave was breaking from the left side rail if you were looking at the rack from the head of the table and Jesse was breaking from the right side rail. After about 4 breaks, Dave switched sides and was making the corner ball on all but one break that I remember. The one was also bouncing off the corner of the side pocket and back towards the rack on his first few breaks. From there on out he was making the one in the side and the wing ball almost every time.

On Jesse's breaks (breaking from the same spot Dave was), it appeared to me that he was not getting the first few balls tight, because the balls were not really spreading too well. I think he came up empty on about half of his breaks.

This was obviously a huge factor in the match, in addition to a few rolls in the beginning for Dave, and a few uncharacteristic mistakes for Jesse.

I do give Jesse alot of credit for stepping up, though, as it was mentioned before that no one has played Dave even on a bar table for 8 years.

Eric.
10-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Hiya Burr,

Welcome aboard.

I'm guessing that Matlock stayed with the rail break? That's interesting because (depnding on the barbox) when breaking from the corner of the box, you know, 1 diamond from the rail on the head string, you can make the wing ball alot and sometimes BOTH wing balls go in opposite corner pockets. If that were the case, then I would think the idea would be to not make the 1 ball on the break, so you can play it into the corner pocket near the head rail as your first shot.

Eric

Karatemom
10-02-2003, 02:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr> Is their a way to gaurantee that wing ball will go every time?? If there is, I'd like to know so I can watch out for that! <hr /></blockquote>

I think you can increase the chance for that wing ball to go in if you have a slight gap between it and the next ball (towards the foot rail).

Fred <hr /></blockquote>I'm not sure, but I think racking them just a little high, along with that gap, will work, too.

Heide

burr1t0
10-02-2003, 03:24 PM
actually it's burrito, and thanks for the welcome.

I have been a long time lurker of most of the newsgroups, but have never really posted regularly.

I thought this would be a good time to start since I went to Burlington to specifically watch this match, and I was right up front from start to finish. I was also able to talk to Matlock quite a bit about the match the next day.

Yes, Matlock did stay with the side rail break, he just switched sides. Jesse broke from the same spot the whole match, which was surprising after the number of times he came up empty.

burr1t0
10-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Maybe the solution for the rack in a match like this would be to have a neutral racker for both players? That way you wouldn't have to worry about any kind of manipulating of the rack either way.