PDA

View Full Version : Patent - How to get one

jjinfla
09-28-2003, 08:08 AM
Okay, I have this great, brilliant idea (isn't that what they all say?) for an aiming device that would revolutionize the art of pool.

Now how do I go about getting a patent for it?

Jake

Rich R.
09-28-2003, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Okay, I have this great, brilliant idea (isn't that what they all say?) for an aiming device that would revolutionize the art of pool.

Now how do I go about getting a patent for it?

Jake <hr /></blockquote>
I would think you could find out everything you need to know, by contacting the U.S. Patent office.

BTW, that high powered telescope, with cross hairs, mounted to your pool cue, is a little bulky. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
09-28-2003, 10:05 AM
DON'T go to one of them " we'll patent and market it for you" sites. My brother got involved with one, and it's a system of escalating fees.."in for a dime, in for a .." scheme. I don't think that you even need a patent before you offer your product for sale. A dated submission letter to the patent office might be all you need to protect your idea.
WARNING...you might be infringing on my patent, if your idea involves using GPS transponders embedded within the balls

rackmup
09-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Begin your quest to fame and fortune here (http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/howtopat.htm).

Regards,

Ken

jjinfla
09-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Quote Rich: BTW, that high powered telescope, with cross hairs, mounted to your pool cue, is a little bulky.
_____
And besides that it is already on the market - called a laser beam. LOL

Jake

beerwolf
09-28-2003, 07:15 PM
If you are going to get a patent you have to learn to speak oddly. You have to use phrases such as "preferred embodiment" and "prior art". The first thing to do is search present patents to find out if your device is already patented. Not only do you have to find out if it is currently protected from copy but if it is covered by a patent for which the copy restriction has expired. You can't patent something that has already been patented even if copy protection has run out.

I would start by searching for existing patents and taking advantage of their efforts. For instance, a training device designed to assist in aiming was recently patented earlier this year:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&amp;Sect2=HITOFF&amp;u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm&amp;r=28&amp;p=1&amp;f=G&amp;l=50&amp;d=ptxt&amp;S1=(pool+AND+aimi ng)&amp;OS=pool+and+aiming&amp;RS=(pool+AND+aiming)

This patent includes a list of other devices encompassing prior art. If your preferred embodiment is new and not similar to any of the prior art then you might go ahead with getting a patent.

You might also consider keeping your invention a secret and instead make a fortune playing pool for money.

You might note that the above patent application was filed over two years ago and a provisional patent issued three years ago. I don't believe that I have seen any of these devices for sale. Think of all the money you could win before you make any money by selling your product.
BW