PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on getting the dents out?

Pied Piper
09-29-2003, 05:36 AM
Does anyone out there have any advice on how to get the dents out of a pool shaft? At my local pool hall, the manager there uses an iron, and it works marvels, however he advised me not to try it on a predator 314 cause of the wood density and the lamination. Does anyone else have any other ideas other than re finishing the shaft or having it turned down?

Anonamus
09-29-2003, 06:00 AM
You can trying using a wash clothe with very hot water and hold it on the ding. This might help. I would do that with my predator and then use 600 grit sandpaper and smooth the rest out.

I don't think the steam or hot water is going to delaminate the shaft.

nhp
09-29-2003, 06:41 AM
I'm not sure if this is good for a 314 shaft, but on regular shafts what I do is put tape around the ding so the rest of my shaft is not exposed to the steam, and heat up a tea kettle. When the steam comes out I hold the ding over it for a short time, and the ding pops out. Then I sand it down a little with fine sand paper.

NBC-BOB
09-29-2003, 07:07 AM
I use the same technique as the journeyman and it has worked well for me over the year's.

RedHell
09-29-2003, 09:37 AM
I have used an iron on my pred shaft and on others pred shart. Predator does not recommend steaming the shaft. But the way I do it is very localised and it's not affecting the 314.

I use a very thick coton clothe strip and soak it well in water. I wrap over the ding and apply the point of the iron on the cloth. This will inject hot water in the ding and pop it right out. Let dry for a while and burnish with leather.

Always worked, never messed up.

The secret remains, take your time and don't rush it !

PQQLK9
09-29-2003, 10:05 AM
I simply saturate a Q-tip and hold it there for a while and then sand it down.

Bassn7
09-29-2003, 11:51 AM
Get a rag fairly damp and cook it to boiling hot for about a minute in the microwave. Then use an oven mit to rub the rag on your shaft. (Be careful! Burning hot!) Pesto! No dents or dings. This also really cleans the green crap off the cue.

nhp
09-29-2003, 07:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> Get a rag fairly damp and cook it to boiling hot for about a minute in the microwave. Then use an oven mit to rub the rag on your shaft. (Be careful! Burning hot!) Pesto! No dents or dings. This also really cleans the green crap off the cue. <hr /></blockquote>

Do you mean you can clean the whole shaft with it? Won't it warp the shaft by making the rest of the wood expand? I've never tried it, so let me know.

Bassn7
09-30-2003, 11:51 AM
Yes, I clean the entire shaft this way. Actually I do it first just with the hot rag and then with 'Comet w/ bleach', and then again with just a warm damp rag. My shafts are as white as the day I got them and haven't warped in 18 years. I'm really picky about having perfect equipment. I rotate 3 identical shafts: one for tournaments, one for league nights and one for practicing. All of them look and play great. Be sure to put scotch tape around the tip so it does not get damp while cleaning the shaft.