PDA

View Full Version : Viking stop in Cincy

Wally_in_Cincy
09-29-2003, 07:12 AM
After work Saturday I went over to Snookers to catch some matches at the Viking tour stop. Nesli O'Hare was there. I watched her get beat by some local guy in his 20's named Aaron Ax. She did not play very well. Despite getting a couple of really good rolls she still got beat 7-4 I think. The kid that beat her was good but far from a world-beater.

The big shock though was watching Shawn Putnam get beat 7-4 by some young kid named Adam Smith. This kid played real sweet. Putnam got a lot of bad looks off his break but still ths kid Smith was running out from everywhere and juicing the CB with inside English to get position that looked impossible. I asked a couple of people about him and nobody seemed to know who he was. I guess they do now.

Wait. I found him at AZB.

Adam Smith
2000 Winnings: $575.00

2000 Tournament Results:
$50.00 17th place Viking 9-Ball Tour Stop 6
$241.00 28th place Derby City Classic 9-Ball
$159.00 27th place Derby City Classic One Pocket
$125.00 5th place Viking 9-Ball Tour Stop 11

I did not make it back Sunday. According to AZB Putnam came back thru the left side and won. Looks like Joe Brown came in 4th. I beat Joe Brown one game once. Did I mention that? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Perk
09-29-2003, 08:01 AM
Wally,

Adam Smith:
http://www.insideenglish.net/Articles/BetsySundholm/adam_smith_wins_collegiate_9.htm

http://www.insideenglish.net/Articles/BetsySundholm/adam_smith_captures_internationa.htm

Some good info regarding some of his college accomplishments. Definately a strong shooter with potential.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-29-2003, 10:30 AM
Hey Perk,

Thanks for the links.

Yeah that's him alright. Man he played smooth.

<font color="red">From the one-loss bracket emerged two-time defending champion Jason Cruz from The University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras. Jason won the first set, but Adam bounced back to win the second set, 9-6, for the championship. </font color>

So he beat Jason Cruz? I think that's Harold Acosta's buddy from Puerto Rico.

Anyway this kid has some big upside to his game IMO. And seemingly no fear.

The funniest thing was this. I was standing by the tournament desk. The kid that was marking the board saw that Putnam's match was over and I think he just wrote down Putnam's name from habit. Well Smith comes over and says "I won that match" and points to the chart. The kid laughs and says "Yeah right" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I spoke up and said "yeah he's not bullshi**n, he beat Putnam". The kid gets out the White-out and fixes the chart LOL

SPetty
09-29-2003, 10:30 AM
What happened, Wally? I thought you were going to play in this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-29-2003, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> What happened, Wally? I thought you were going to play in this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Uhhhhh......

*My cue needs a new tip

*I had a touch of the flu

*I had to work

*I didn't have the entry fee

*I had to mow the grass

*I'm a chicken-sh1t

You can guess which one is the truth /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RUNaRAK
09-29-2003, 12:23 PM
I also played in the tournament at Snookers. Beat my first opponent 7 to 3. Then, lucky me, gets to play Shawn Putnam. I played a bit nervous and hung 2 9's and ran another rack to the 8 and dogged it too. I was quite frustrated with myself although it was my first tournament of that caliber. Putnam spanked me 7 to 0 but I had a great time playing him and making the crowd laugh. He has an unbelievable talent for the game. Very tough to beat.
Actually Joe Brown got 3rd place according to azbilliards. I had him in the calcutta.
I then won my next match 7 to 1 and after that a middle aged gentleman named J.R.?? beat me 7-3.
It was a great experience for me and I plan to work on my mental game for the Columbus tournament at Cornfed's.
Wally, would not mind talking to you next time you're at a tournament that I am attending.
Adam, that beat Shawn was from Toledo, I was told. He did play quite an amazing match when he won.

Joe Koontz
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-29-2003, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr>......Adam, that beat Shawn was from Toledo, I was told. He did play quite an amazing match when he won.

Joe Koontz
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Joe,

Dang it. I saw your name on the chart but I forgot you were RUNaRAK. That was a tough field. That's why I didn't have the cojones to play. I'll track you down next time.