PDA

View Full Version : fouls

bytemeagain
09-29-2003, 05:34 PM
I play once a week with some guys at work. Much argueing ensued over different "rules" as everyone of us grew up playing in a different part of the country. We made an agreement to play always by BCA tournament rules. Simple right? Well a problem arose when my opponent was snookered. He started to bank, but I asked him which ball he was attempting to hit. He says the 6. He banks and crashes into the 2. I pick up the cue ball (Ball in hand fouls remember)- and he freaks, insisting it is NOT a ball in hand foul but merely a loss of turn. Who's right

Rod
09-29-2003, 05:51 PM
If your playing 8 ball that is not a foul. He only needs to hit one of his balls and contact a rail afterwards.

Here is a link to game rules at the BCA site.
BCA Rules (http://www.bca-pool.com/play/)

Rod

randyg
He is! Have to hit your group of balls first and then a rail or pocket.....randyg

Barbara
If he hit his own ball and made a legal hit by doing so, it is loss of turn, not BIH.

Do yourself a favor and print out the rules at www.bca-pool.com. (http://www.bca-pool.com.)

Some of the rules are a bit obscure, so feel free to ask about them on this board.

Barbara

jjinfla
09-29-2003, 07:50 PM
You can all go stand in the corner now because you were all wrong. This was definitely a ball in hand foul.

But it was commited by you when you picked up the cue ball.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Since you all agreed to play by BCA rules I sure hope one of you has a copy of them.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
The next round is on you.

Jake

Wally_in_Cincy
09-30-2003, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>
.....Since you all agreed to play by BCA rules I sure hope one of you has a copy of them. .....<hr /></blockquote>

Perhaps he meant "Barroom Calamity Arising" rules.

Sorry Mr. bytemeagain, I could not resist. Welcome to the CCB. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SPetty
09-30-2003, 04:11 PM
I'm guessing you're experiencing confusion over the "call your shot" part of the BCA rules. In 8 ball, "call your shot" is calling a ball (like the six) and the pocket (like that corner pocket over there). If you miss pocketing the six in the corner, you lose your turn (even if you've pocketed another of your balls), unless you've also committed a foul, in which case you lose your turn and give up ball in hand.

Now, although your opponent did not hit the ball he called, he did (probably) make a legal shot. That's defined as hitting a ball in his group and then something hitting a rail or being pocketed. So he did not foul, just missed his shot.

The "new" rules are tough at first, but they're a lot of fun once everyone learns them. If you have any more questions, or if these answers are confusing, just ask until you understand.

SPetty~~~ now who's Meagain, and why do you want me to byte her? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris in NC
09-30-2003, 10:21 PM
First of all, are you playing 8-ball or 9-ball? If you're playing 8-ball as I'm guessing, then as long as he hits one of his balls (I assume the solid balls in this case) then drives any ball to a rail or pocket, it is a legal hit. It doesn't matter whether he was planning to hit the 6 or the 2 - as they are both his balls. Fact is as you describe it, he then would have ball-in-hand since you picked up the cue-ball before confirming with your opponent as to the correct ruling. - Chris in NC

ms_cue
10-01-2003, 07:40 AM
Unless there's a referee right there, the call always always goes to the shooter. I guess this rule is holding out some hope for integrity and honesty in the game and players.