PDA

View Full Version : A Visit from Grady

Chris in NC
09-30-2003, 12:02 AM
Grady Matthews was in our area in northwestern NC / eastern TN this past weekend. He'd heard about our pool room, called before he came to make sure I'd be around, and stopped by on Saturday.

He didn't have but a few hours to spare, so we agreed to play a few sets. In the comfort zone of my own tables and a wager which wouldn't put me under much pressure, I managed to play competitively with Grady. Grady was clearly frustrated with the small-time action, and he let me know that in no uncertain terms. As I was not willing to raise the stakes to his liking, we called it quits after a few sets.

To Grady, playing pool and matching up is all about making a decent living. I respect his position, but that's not my problem or responsibility. By contrast, for myself (which I tried to explain to Grady) running my poolroom and grill for our customers is my living, and my first and foremost priority. I play for the love and enjoyment of the game. I rarely ever leave our room to play in another room or tourney, so any opportunity to play against a quality opponent is limited to road players who somehow manage to stumble in here. Although I'm usually willing to test my skills against virtually any player that comes through our doors, they find out quickly that it will be under my terms - only for an amount to make it interesting for myself, regardless of whether that amount may be enough to satisfy my opponent's needs or expectations. They may take it or leave it, but I will not be forced into playing a game out of my comfort zone.

Grady has great knowledge and can still hit them awfully good - considering he has no distinguishable backstroke. He just starts with his tip about an inch behind the cue-ball and fires forward. It's easy to see why he can play 14.1 and one-pocket quite well, but at least by pro standards has more trouble in 9-ball. Although I would have learned loads more if I'd chosen to play him 14.1 or one-pocket, I figured 9-ball was the only game I'd have any chance of hanging with him.

Unfortunately, Grady wasn't here long enough to have any extra time to work with my son, but hopefully he will be back again. I hope Grady doesn't take this comment the wrong way, but there's no question that in person Grady looks much younger than he appears in front of the camera and in most photos! A colorful character, a very nice gentleman and a serious competitor - who clearly loves and lives the game. - Chris in NC

OntheSnap
09-30-2003, 01:09 AM
You were lucky to have him leave. I'll bet he didnt even offer to pay for any time. Paying for time is "offensive" and "degrading" to him as is most everything else.

He argues with everyone. He hasnt beat anyone in 10 years. I dont know how he continues to get bankrolled. He is much more trouble than he is worth. He even managed to get in a fistfight with the last guy in pool who stood behind him (Bob Ogburn)at their co-promoted event a few months back. Be glad he left!

Qtec
09-30-2003, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He just starts with his tip about an inch behind the cue-ball and fires forward<hr /></blockquote>

Surely he must have a backstroke? Isnt it a foul otherwise?

.24 PUSH SHOT FOULS
It is a foul if the cue ball is pushed by the cue tip, with contact being maintained for more than the momentary time commensurate with a stroked shot. (Such shots are usually referred to as push shots.)

Qtec

Qtec
09-30-2003, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He even managed to get in a fistfight with the last guy in pool who stood behind him <hr /></blockquote>

Do you mean like the guy bumped him while he was shooting?

Q

jjinfla
09-30-2003, 05:33 AM
Chris, What was your comfort zone for your wager with Grady?
$50 sets? I doubt that he would play for less.

Can't believe that Grady and mild mannered Ogburn got into a fist fight. That would be a sight to behold. Both would be out of gas after 15 seconds. LOL

Jake

gfm3
09-30-2003, 07:18 AM
Stranger, If you'll post your name, address and phone number I'll gladly answer you.

SpiderMan
09-30-2003, 12:04 PM
Theoretically, the tip would have to be already touching the ball while at rest in order to create a true "push". Because of the tip's compressibility, there's probably a small allowable gap within which you could still accomplish a push. Anything more than this miniscule gap and the closest you could get to a push would be a very quick catch-up to the escaping cueball.

If Grady starts with the tip an inch away, a push would be very difficult to achieve, IMHO.

SpiderMan

Chris in NC
09-30-2003, 12:22 PM
Jake, out of respect for Grady and myself, I divulged as much info in my post as to our session as I deemed appropriate. If you truly wish to find out what my comfort zone is, I guess you'll just have to drop by. LOL - Chris in NC

Sally
09-30-2003, 12:25 PM
Very well put indeed.