PDA

View Full Version : 2003 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships

Barry Behrman
09-30-2003, 03:40 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

2003 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships
by Barry Behrman

Reflecting back on this year's event I have many wonderful memories of which, first of all, I was very fortunate and grateful to have been given the opportunity to be present and I will always be very thankful for that.

I'm very proud of Jeremy Jones after being runner-up in 1999 behind his friend Johnny Archer. It seemed he was on a mission this year, especially playing in the toughest bracket of the tournament and went undefeated. Mr. Jones you are an extremely deserving 18th Individual Champion of the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships and I wish you continued success.

Again, I took a huge loss due to Hurricane Isabel coming right in the middle of the tournament. The Conference Center was closed one day and Q-Masters over 2 days. I expect the total loss this year to be between 40 and 50 thousand dollars.

As most of you know I dedicated this years event to my parents. I lost my Dad last November. After other losses I've incurred I have decided not to wait to borrow money from friends, but to use my inheritance he left for me right away. I've taken care of this before returning to jail waiting my October 10th court date. All of the players were happy to see me and I want to show my appreciation to them as well. I will not allow any more negative press about the prize fund. I've lost over $150,000 the past 3 of 4 losing events and for not my love of people and pool I would not continue. Next years dates are September 6-12, 2004 and I will be taking out hurricane insurance. You can "bet" on that. I will add $50,000 minimum to next years event and will increase it to $72,000 for a full field of 256 players.

The most important thing I have learned while out for two weeks to run my event was to never put myself into that situation again, and I mean it. The love and support from everyone was overwhelming and that meant so much to me. More than words could ever describe.

Many people will say that I've had a lot of bad luck and I sure have, but I've also learned you make your own luck. Maybe I've deserved what has been dealt to me and to my misfortunes. By living my life more responsibly and do the right things maybe life will be better. My life would have never been the same if I had missed my event this year, never. Thank you all for your support and as Paul Newman said in The Color of Money, "I'm back".

Barry Behrman

P.S. I want to thank all those who worked so very hard this year.

Candy Rawson - Q-Masters General Manager
Christopher Adams - Q-Masters League Director
Tim Colvin - Q-Masters Store Manager
David Bray - Q-Masters Day Manager
Kara Turnipseed - Q-Masters Food & Beverage Manager
Inside Pool Magazine - Press
National Billiard News - Press
Pool and Billiards Magazine - Press
Billiards Digest - Press
Shannon Paschal - Ticket sales
Heather Bress - Ticket sales
Craig Morris - Doorman
Tom Lattimer - U.S. Open staff
Mike Adams - U.S. Open staff
Shannon McKimmey - U.S. Open staff
Dave Girouard - U.S. Open staff
Todd Caldwell - U.S. Open staff and Referee
Kara Deitch - National Anthem performer
Scott Smith - U.S. Open Tournament Director
Steve Logan - U.S. Open Assistant Tournament Director
Ed & Jason Hagen - U.S. Open setup
Tom Manley - U.S. Open setup
Billy Hoffman - U.S. Open setup
Damon Watson - U.S. Open setup
Mark Fisher - U.S. Open setup
Ty Laha, II. - U.S. Open setup
Team Bentley - Sardo racker
Mark Hoover - Sardo racker
Jim Hayes - Sardo racker
Jim Antoskow - Sardo racker
Diamond Billiard Products - Table Sponsor
Iwan Simonis - Cloth Sponsor
Sardo Tight Rack - Rack Sponsor
Aramith - Billiard Ball Sponsor
Pat Fleming and Staff - Accu Stats Video Productions
and
Rob Sykora - Billiard Club Network

I would like to pay special thanks to Candy Rawson and Christopher Adams who began work on this years event back in April and who are still finalizing the particulars. Their vital hard work was distributed on organizing sales for VIP seating, vendors, sponsors, player entries, event set-up and so many more details that simply cannot be listed here in their entirety.

Aboo
09-30-2003, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Many people will say that I've had a lot of bad luck and I sure have, but I've also learned you make your own luck. Maybe I've deserved what has been dealt to me and to my misfortunes. By living my life more responsibly and do the right things maybe life will be better. My life would have never been the same if I had missed my event this year, never. .... <hr /></blockquote>

Much respect to Mr. Behrman for that statement right there. That shows a lot of character. Hope I can make the next one sir.

Eric.
09-30-2003, 04:00 PM
Barry,

As part of the CCB contingent and yearly visitor since '94, I have to say that your generousity towards us, as well as what you do for Pool is second to none. I'm glad to hear that an icon such as yourself is able to persevere and move forward. For what it's worth, I thank you and will continue to make the U.S. Open a MUST attend (maybe as a player one day...)

Eric &gt;will have to give up the Wildwood, NJ bike run for the new Open dates /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Aboo
09-30-2003, 04:25 PM
hehe My 10 year anniversary is Sept. 8th! LOLOL Didn't notice that till just now.

Well, I have a year to figure out how to trick the wife into THAT one! ROFLMAO

Karatemom
09-30-2003, 04:45 PM
This was our first U.S. Open attendance and I will say that you are one of the kindest and most generous men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. The way you, and Scott, handled Chris' match time mix up was very professional and very gracious.

You are a great man and am glad that I can say that I know you. Thank you, Barry, for a wonderful time in Virginia.

Heide

cueball1950
09-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Go with Gods speed Barry. Am glad to hear you are trying to het things straight. Was a pleasure seeing you again this year. Heck, this makes about 14 in a row i believe. Since the one held on rt 13 at the Holiday inn i believe. Matter of fact it was mr williams first pro tournament. anyway, looking forward to seeing you next year.........mike

RUNaRAK
09-30-2003, 06:45 PM
It's never too late to turn things around. I give you a round of applause Mr. B...
You are an ambassador for the sport. I hope that the financial issue is a very positive one next year. Hope your stay in the pen is short lived.

Peace to you.

9 Ball Girl
09-30-2003, 06:47 PM
I'm just echoing what everyone else has said here. I love going to the US Open and like last year after it, I'm going through US Open Countdown Withdrawals. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm glad you decided to keep the dates in September and I can't wait to see my buddy Pineapple again! You have a courteous, well organized staff and it's always a pleasure walking into the Convention Center and seeing the smiling faces. As usual, I had tons of fun both at the Convention Center and moreso every night afterwards at Q-Masters. I mean, where else are you going to have the lights shut out on us in place of a shot clock? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif You're the best! Much thanks for your generous hand in lending us your room for our CCB Tourney.

You forgot to mention the thing about paying $200 for the whole week, $180 for 6 days, $160 for 5 days, etc. I can't remember the particulars but I do recall something about the $200 ticket holders (me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) having first dibs on the seats.

Wendy~~~341 days 'til US Open 2004--but who's counting?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif See you in September!!!

rackmup
09-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Tap Tap.

Regards,

Ken (will be there next year)

Chris in NC
09-30-2003, 10:14 PM
We went to our first U.S. Open in 1999, and have been every year since. We always know what to expect - a first class tournament, reasonable ticket prices, excellent seating and the greatest players in the world playing in front of the most knowledgeable and respectful crowd of any tournament bar none.

For Barry and his staff to have kept this going and already planning for next year - particularly with what he's been through the past 3 years is nothing less than remarkable. His love and devotion to the game and to this tournament (the longest running and best pro pool tournament in the world) speaks for itself.

If I was a member of the BCA Hall of Fame selection committee, regardless of the troubles Barry is currently facing, he would still be my nomination for what he has contributed to the game, to the fans and to the pro players with the promotion and running of this tournament for the past 27 years, uninterrupted. - Chris in NC

eg8r
10-01-2003, 08:02 AM
Ken, can I tag along????

eg8r

eg8r
10-01-2003, 08:02 AM
Barry, it is amazing what you have gone through the past few years, and you keep coming back. Good luck in turning your personal life around.

I hope to see you next year.

eg8r