PDA

View Full Version : New jersey 14.1 this weekend

cueball1950
09-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Well it is good to see another 14.1 tournament this weekend. Good Luck to our own Steve Lipsky. But this is the 2nd year in a row that players like Mike Zuglan or Jim Rempe have not been invited. Yet champions like Mr Hopkins get invited. Was just wondering why. Both Mr zuglan and Mr Rempe are world class 14.1 players......just wondering out loud .............................................mike

Steve Lipsky
09-30-2003, 10:23 PM
Mike, it is my understanding that there are probably still some open slots. In addition, this tournament has been promoted and spoken about for almost a year. Had Rempe (and to be honest, I thought he was playing, but I guess I am wrong) or Zuglan ever called Jack, he'd have been thrilled to give them a spot.

Jack probably spoke personally to the better players that he knew; those that he didn't just have to be a little proactive. As we all know in this game, nothing just comes to you.

Speaking of Zuglan (who I personally like very, very much), I found it a bit odd that he's holding the NY State Championship in Rochester, at least 6 hours away from NYC. If I were to look at this in the most cynical way possible, I could say this was no accident; that he didn't want players like Mika, Robles, Barouty, Ginky, Tommy Walters, Lenny Favata, Jon Smith, and me coming. I can almost guarantee that most of us won't be there, which is kind of a shame for a New York State 14.1 Championship, isn't it?

But... I don't think this was the case. More likely, the poolroom in Rochester was the only one that agreed to have a 14.1 tournament. Or maybe it was some other perfectly good reason. All I'm saying is that I don't think Jack had any malicious thoughts in who was or was not invited to this tournament. He's an older gentleman who has given a lot to this game, and now he's giving even more. He does not have the resources of a large organization like the BCA to court all the best players in the region.

Anyway, I hope you see my point, Mike. There were (and possibly still are) many open spots from the very beginning. And I sincerely hope Zuglan and Rempe can both get in, because yes, it would add a certain legitimacy to the tournament.

Just thinking out loud myself,
Steve /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cueball1950
09-30-2003, 11:26 PM
I understand your point perfectly Steve. I believe the reason the 14.1 is in rochester is cuz, from what i understand, mike did not even want to hold one. he wanted to stick to 9 ball but Rich Warren has stuck by Mike from the beginning. And when he asked mike to hold it there, how could he refuse him. Rich continues to hold 1 of the biggest tournaments evey year. Heck, even strickland and williams show up. Even the earthquake comes. I never meant to suggest that Mr. Colavitta was doing anything bad. I have met Mr Colavitta a couple of times and he has been nothing but a gentleman. I was just curious is all. Sorry if i ruffeled any feathers.......................mike

Steve Lipsky
10-01-2003, 07:28 AM
Hi Mike. It's no big deal. I was just writing to say that, in my opinion, the onus is on any top player to call and ask about an open spot. Unfortunately, this game is not big enough for even the world champions to sit back and expect stuff in the mail /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Golf, we ain't.

Anyway, I still haven't decided about Rochester. It's not looking likely, though... it just really is so far away.

Talk to you soon,
Steve

Barbara
10-01-2003, 11:39 AM
For next year, I wish Jack would check, or maybe Bill or Marcia, to see if their event conflicts with any others in the area - like mine at Binghamton. Since Allen's playing in it, Dawn can't play with us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barbara

Eric.
10-04-2003, 10:36 PM
Just a quick update:

Great field at Comet Billiards! Young guns, old guns, Hall of Famers, International players and 1 WPBA pro in a 32 person field. Who's playing best? IMO, Tony Robles, Allen Hopkins and our hometown guy Steve Lipsky. Don't know Lipsky? He's the guy that won one match by running a 98 and out, then follows up in the next match by putting an 83 on the other guy. After that, his opponent was on Ether.

Some other notables:

Grady Mathews made a showing.

Dallas West-love that slip stroke

Dick Lane-I'm amazed that guys like him and Nick Varner can shoot at all, let alone at their level.

The International crowd of Neils(I'll be back) Feijen and Thorsten Hohmann (the III and his wife, Lovey /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Looks like another great event by Jack Colavita and Bill Haley/Comet Billiards. I'm glad someone is doing some Straight Pool tourneys...

Eric >your weekend update

Rod
10-05-2003, 08:01 PM
Looks like Robles come back from the one loss side to play Hohmann. Hohmann has had 4 100+ balls runs for this tournament. Not to shabby. Barouty, nice third place finish and our own Steve Lipsky finished tied for 7&8th place. I'm not a good reporter so I'll turn it over to someone who was there. LOL Will Hohmann get the cheese or will Robles win it for the New Yorker's?

only the shadow knows /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif