PDA

View Full Version : Ralf Souquet & practice

jjinfla
09-30-2003, 08:51 PM
According to his interview in the August Issue (I'm a little behind in my reading) he doesn't practice at all. And hasn't for the past 9 years. Just tries to play in a tournament every week. Must be nice!

Then on the other hand George Fels, who probably played his first game with Mathuzla, and should know all there is about the game, admits that he keeps learning everytime he edits the magazine.

Jake

Wally_in_Cincy
10-01-2003, 06:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> According to his interview in the August Issue (I'm a little behind in my reading) he doesn't practice at all. And hasn't for the past 9 years.....<hr /></blockquote>

Hey I've been using that system for 9 <font color="red">months </font color> now and it's working out....uh....great. Yeah right /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10-01-2003, 10:04 AM

RUNaRAK
10-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Maybe that is why Putnam beat me to pulp. I have been spending too much time with practice.
I guess I try it like Ralph. Play play play...

NOT

DoomCue
10-01-2003, 11:42 AM
I believe that once a certain comfort level has been reached with the physical aspects of pool (stroke, bridge, head alignment, stance, etc.), the game becomes mostly a mental exercise. The ability to reason out pattern play and cue ball position routes is definitely mental. Also, keeping calm under pressure, and not OVER-thinking is mental. The mind controls the muscles of the body, and one of the hardest things to do is to think BEFORE a shot, and then not to think DURING a shot. Trust me, it does take some practice to learn not to think while shooting.

While practicing with Mika Immonen and Marcus Chamat at the Open, I was amazed at the total mental preparation and focus these guys have. All the pros have good strokes and consistent technique. What separates them is their mental ability, to prepare and focus for each and every shot. Maybe Ralf has the right idea. He knows by now that he's going to do pretty much the same thing physically with every shot. Just as we must exercise our bodies to stay fit, I guess Ralf believes in exercising the mind to keep his mental focus fit. I'd say it works for him, he's won a lot of titles, including the WPC and US Open.

-djb

RUNaRAK
10-01-2003, 01:33 PM
I would agree with Dr. Doom... I am just not quite there yet. Still need to gain total confidence in the other areas of my game.

Peace

phil in sofla
10-02-2003, 12:35 PM
There's practice, just to stay in stroke, and there's practice to gain new skill sets/shots, etc.

Seems to me that if you are playing regularly, the staying in stroke reason for practice is already handled. And maybe Ralf has topped off the skill set/shots already, with his likely million plus pots over the years?

Danny D
10-03-2003, 02:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> According to his interview in the August Issue (I'm a little behind in my reading) he doesn't practice at all. And hasn't for the past 9 years. Just tries to play in a tournament every week. Must be nice!

DANNY D SINGS LIKE A CANARY; Ralph is smart, George is dumb, Ralph knows a ton of things, George knows about 3 things, Ralph can run racks, George can't run 3 balls and have never ran a rack in his life. George cant walk and chew gum at the same time, he's a total nit. Listen to George, you will play like him, your granny will be giving you the 7.
Listen to Ralph, dont practise, just sit home and dream about running out, pool will cease to exist, all rooms will close and go out of business. There will be no tourneys to go to. Ralph is a nit on this as well, if this were true, then why do Golfers and Tennis players have to practice 4 hours a day, every day. Why, because these are repetitive sports, if you don't, you lose the feel. Mental imagining is good, but it can never take the place of practice on a table, dont kid your self about this. Shave your head, perhaps thats the secret, They say thats why zim is so good. Too much hair on your head saps your mental energy, at least that's zims theory. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Then on the other hand George Fels, who probably played his first game with Mathuzla, and should know all there is about the game, admits that he keeps learning everytime he edits the magazine.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

jjinfla
10-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Hey Danny D, Be nice to your elders. George is getting up there in age you know, around 862 by his count. LOL Jake