PDA

View Full Version : Elevators

9 Ball Girl
10-01-2003, 08:17 AM
I work on the 40th floor and in 1998 on a Friday night at about 6PM, I got stuck in the elevator for about 1.5 hours til they could find the elevator maintenance guy. I had no cell phone yet at that time, nor would I have had reception if I had a cell phone, and I was alone. Had I been with someone else, I would've been ok. Ever since, I have not ridden an elevator by myself at work. Unfortunately, that feeling has trickled to the outside world and I won't do elevators by myself anywhere except my building where I live and even then I feel a little anxious.

My question is, how do you get over the fear of riding elevators?

Wendy<---silly girl /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Voodoo Daddy
10-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Mine is escalators...I know I hate the friggin' things but I use them. Get in the elevator and look up, not at the numbers...just straight up and focus on a light fixture or a piece of the ceiling and stare at it. Before you know it you'll be on the ground floor...good luck Wendy

Keith Talent
10-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Hey, that's a tough problem to have in the city!

I've read of people who will get on an elevator on a high floor and at the first stop or two, just get overwhelmed by claustrophobia (and maybe the fear of all that empty space beneath their feet) and just bolt and walk down 30 flights or so. Similar thing with subways goes on, the article said.

Me, I can get that trapped, hard-to-breathe feeling if I'm hungover in the subway or a tunnel ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Curious, though, that having somebody else along eases the anxiety. My philosophy on such things is: confront your fear like G. Gordon Liddy ... and if that doesn't work, distract yourself ... and if all else fails, tell yourself a big fat lie, like "I believe in American workmanship, and I DIDN'T SEE OUR PILOT stagger out of the bar five minutes ago. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
10-01-2003, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(and maybe the fear of all that empty space beneath their feet) <hr /></blockquote>

What about swimming in the ocean?

Jaws has got a lot to answer for. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
10-01-2003, 10:14 AM
I hope your elevators don't make funny noises like the ones at the Riviera /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r
10-01-2003, 10:39 AM
I think one walk up 40 flights of stairs would cure me real quick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

CarolNYC
10-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Bring your significant other in the elevator with you and just do it!"
Good luck!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Qtec
10-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Carol!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm shocked.

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
10-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Q,
Im sorry, but such an overwhelming fear can only be overcome by an overwhelming pleasure-Correct?So, what better way? ha ha ha ha
Stay well!

Qtec
10-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Dont go to next years Open.

You will have 20 CCBers, following you every time you use the lift!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
10-01-2003, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Bring your significant other in the elevator with you and just do it!"
Good luck!
<hr /></blockquote>

I found it. I love this internet thing LOL

#######################################

Free Fall Sex From the Seventh Floor by Paul Gilmartin

Down the elevator shaft they plunged, hurtling towards their death
Their faces drawn by Edward Munch they smelled the devils breath
Six floors left to do the deed, as she unsheathed his sword
His woody flared up quicker than an airbag in a Ford

Number four went whizzing by, his pants around his knees
Her arm a' pumpin' and her skirt just flappin' in the breeze
“Your tongue” she said at number three “let me see it's size”
He grinned and licked his forehead, she buckled at the thighs

She shoved his head beneath her skirt, he thought he heard her say
“Pretend its Ethiopia, and I'm a free buffet.”
Down they flew in sweaty bliss, him grunting on one knee
Her eyes sank back into her skull, she drove his ears with glee

With one floor left she rode his jaw, they had no time for fears
The wind whipped through his butt hole and whistled out his ears
The impact satisfied them both, police were left some clues
A smiling woman all alone, and a strangers pair of shoes

9 Ball Girl
10-01-2003, 12:03 PM
Bahahahahahahaha!!!!! That's a good one Wally! Thanks for the response y'all. After the blackout in VA, I used the stairs at the Hampton and I was only on the 4th floor!

Wendy~~~will have to find that special someone to ride the elevator with! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kato
10-01-2003, 02:03 PM
Anywhere Carol goes is a welcome sight for all CCB'ers. Carol has all the love any 10,000 men could ever need. Sadly Carol is a one man woman /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Luckily, her husband let's her hug the bejesus out of everyone she likes /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato~~~has felt the hug...........and it was good

CarolNYC
10-01-2003, 02:48 PM
ha ha ha ha-
That was good,Wally!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
10-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Aw,Kato,
Your such a cutey!And you look GREAT in those pictures Wendy posted-I love'em!
And I loved seeing Chris,too!:)
Miss you very much:(
Carol~hopes the last hug lasts till we meet again:):):)

Kato
10-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Coulda used a hug a while ago. The hug hasn't run out yet though. They were all good (yes guys, plural, hugs).

Pretty soon though Carol and I will both be playing with Blackheart's though so we'll be together in "Pool Cue Spirit"

Kato~~~Misses "big Carol hugs" Aw, I miss all the girls from the Northeast. PSST. I miss you too Heide.

9 Ball Girl
10-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Aw I miss my Florida buddies and if I knew about your sty while we were in VA, to hell that it was contagious, I would've kissed your booboo.

CarolNYC
10-01-2003, 03:43 PM
We'll ALWAYS be together in spirit!:)
And when we're together, we'll try eachothers "Blackhearts!"
Carol~got a "HUGE" hug ready for Kato!:):):) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
10-01-2003, 03:44 PM
No booboo kissing-shame on you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol~knows Wendy will make it up to Kato!:):)

Fred Agnir
10-01-2003, 03:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> My question is, how do you get over the fear of riding elevators?<hr /></blockquote> Same way you get over the fear of clowns. You don't.

Fred

CarolNYC
10-02-2003, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
fear of clowns. <hr /></blockquote>
Fred,
What is it with the fear of clowns?There are ALOT of people afraid of clowns!I'd bring my kids to the Garden for Ringling Brothers,no problem-THEN, after that movie "IT!" by Stephen King-my middle daughter hates them and she seen that movie when she was like 16! Unbelievable!
Carol~feels bad for people fearing clowns! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-02-2003, 06:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>

.......after that movie "IT!" by Stephen King-my middle daughter hates them .......<hr /></blockquote>

http://www.dreampilot.net/images/penny2.jpg

<font color="red">BOO ! LOL </font color>

CarolNYC
10-02-2003, 06:29 AM
Wally,
This is what I look like before my morning coffee!ha ha ha ha ha /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I'll tell ya something, when I take my niece trick-or-treating, if someone is dressed up like this, they better watch out!ha ha ha ha
That was good, Wally!
Carol~loves Wally's sense of humor! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-02-2003, 08:06 AM
That's funny about clowns. "IT" didn't scare me because he was an obvious bad clown. He did scare me though when he looked like a happy clown. I don't like clowns either, especially the "nice" ones. I fear that there's something hidden behind all that makeup. Call it the "Tammy Faye Baker" effect?

Wendy&lt;---gets leery around Ronald McDonald! Can you imagine? Being stuck on an elevator with a clown!

Kato
10-02-2003, 08:21 AM
It's the "Twilight Zone" clown episode that gets it.

Kato~~~not afraid of clowns in particular. Just the ones under the bed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty
10-02-2003, 08:43 AM
http://prodtn.cafepress.com/0/3051050_F_tn.jpg (http://www.cantsleepclownswilleatme.com)

http://www.ihateclowns.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/300cscwem.jpg (http://www.ihateclowns.com)

wolfdancer
10-02-2003, 09:15 AM
Don't know about the fear factor, but did you know that elevators smell different to a Midget???

wolfdancer
10-02-2003, 09:25 AM
Two words..John Wayne Gacy..wait, that's three words
three words...Joh...

wolfdancer
10-02-2003, 09:34 AM
Awwwwwwww...shuuuuuuuuucks.....I think my blood sugar count went up 100 points after reading the last few posts...."get a room"..."check, please"

Wally_in_Cincy
10-02-2003, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Awwwwwwww...shuuuuuuuuucks.....I think my blood sugar count went up 100 points after reading the last few posts...."get a room"..."check, please" <hr /></blockquote>

No wonder folks who drop by here might get the impression that the CCB is "Clubby" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally~~anybody want my secret decoder ring ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-02-2003, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Don't know about the fear factor, but did you know that elevators smell different to a Midget??? <hr /></blockquote>No offense to anyone or anyone who may know one, but I am deathly afraid of midgets, dwarves, etc. My heart is racing just thinking about it. I remember standing next to one on the subway and he was trying to pick me up and politely declined, but he kept looking up at me with a grin and it was freaking me out! All I know is that I couldn't move to another spot 'cause the train was packed but I had to close my eyes and talk myself out of the fact that there was a midget smiling up at me.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Hey lady. Wanna buy some noodles? Hee Hee

http://tulsatvmemories.com/uhf/noodles.jpg

CarolNYC
10-02-2003, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Being stuck on an elevator with a clown!
<hr /></blockquote>
Wendy,
Im ROFLMAO-I cant!I cant even type!...................wait, let me wipe the tears from my eyes.............Im cracking up-ya know, whenever Im in a situation ,I always think of something that could be worse ,so it wouldnt be that bad, but this-I DONT EVEN WANT TO BE ON AN ELEVATOR WITH A CLOWN!
Its been a pleasure chatting with you all-Im out for a few days-got a couple tournaments to play!
Take care and stay well!
Carol~feels for Wendy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
10-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm, the "Killer Klown", now, THATS SCARY!~30 yrs.ago!Good point!
Carol~ getting a-scared!:(:(

9 Ball Girl
10-02-2003, 12:53 PM
See now this one doesn't bother me. He just looks like a small person so I think that he is considered to be a dwarf? The midgets (and I think that there is a difference) are the ones like you see in the movie Willow and The Wizard of Oz. Those are the ones that scare me!

Wendy&lt;---too many hangups!

wolfdancer
10-02-2003, 06:50 PM
You might be missing out on sumthin...Lady I know used to go with a midget...and when she was in the mood, she'd say "climb aboard" (or else I just made that up)..anyway, when you are a "little person"..things are always looking up
Now here's how to get over your fear....rent the movie "Terror of Tiny Town", a western, with only Midgets and Dwarfs in it...think "High Noon", on a small screen...It's the movie Ed Wood, wished he'd made. Rent it on Halloween...

Rod
10-02-2003, 08:48 PM
I can see how that could cause a problem. If most people get stuck, let alone trapped for 5 minutes they have fits.

Ever tried having a friend wait for you at the bottom? I mean if you know their down there waiting that might ease your mind. Or you could get on and strip, just the thought of being busted would keep your mind occupied! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif JK

I get along fine with elevators. I just won't get on one with a glass front where you can see out or down, no matter how high.

Rod

mickey2
10-03-2003, 09:33 AM
Have you ever taken a ride with a Pater Noster elevator, the one with a series of doorless cabins hung on chains that move slowly, allowing you to step on and off at will.
Imo they are a lot off fun, but it's hard to find one.

Sid_Vicious
10-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Do I hear Carol voting for Dr. Laura for President too? ;-) sid~~~my first thought too, no surprise I'm sure

Ralph S.
10-05-2003, 03:59 AM
What a hoot! Absolutely too funny.

dg-in-centralpa
10-05-2003, 06:14 AM
Has anybody seen the ultimate clown movie," Killer Clowns from Outer Space?" This movie is a riot but will give you second thoughts about being around clowns.

DG - who loves scary movies even dumb ones

SPetty
10-05-2003, 11:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Has anybody seen the ultimate clown movie," Killer Clowns from Outer Space?" <hr /></blockquote>That movie was recommended to me when I talked of liking movies where people's heads explode. I don't remember a lot about the movie, but if you shot them in the nose, their heads exploded. hahahaha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CarolNYC
10-06-2003, 04:06 AM
Ha Ha HA, Nah, Sid,
Just have respect for my husband, but if we ever meet, I'll tell ya a story!ha ha ha
Carol~remembering phrases of "biker"days!:):):)

CarolNYC
10-06-2003, 04:09 AM
I seen about every horror movie-love'em,also, military,action and "good fella" type movies!
Carol~scared of the dark,ha ha ha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif