PDA

View Full Version : JUDD custom cues? Anybody heard of them?

SteveFromNY
10-01-2003, 01:19 PM
There's this cue that I really like but I've never heard of them. It's so hard to buy a custom cue!!!

cycopath
10-01-2003, 02:56 PM
http://www.juddcues.com/

Fred Agnir
10-01-2003, 03:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> There's this cue that I really like but I've never heard of them. It's so hard to buy a custom cue!!! <hr /></blockquote> Judd Fuller. Robin Dodson shoots with his sticks. Never heard anything bad about his cues. He's at VF every year with a booth.

Judd Cue Discussions (http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=judd%20cue&amp;safe=images&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;as_ugroup=rec.sport.billiard&amp;lr=&amp;hl=en)

Fred

Cueless Joey
10-01-2003, 04:55 PM
I used to frequent Judd and Trudy's shop before they moved back to Colorado.
Judd cues are fine cues. Trudy's inlay work is tops.
Judd's points are long and even. If they are not, he uses them as firewood. I kid you not. I've seen some of his rejects whose points are just slightly uneven.
Judd's a great guy too. He made a great looking sneaky with silver checks back in '97. I still have it.

Gerry
10-02-2003, 05:26 AM
I had a Judd for a short time, and it was a very well built cue. The only problem was it was built snooker length, and I'm a bloody nose dizzying 5'6" tall, so I sold it to a tall guy who still plays with it and loves it.....Gerry&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;will recieve nothing for this testamonial!

Fred Agnir
10-02-2003, 06:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gerry:</font><hr> I had a Judd for a short time, and it was a very well built cue. The only problem was it was built snooker length, and I'm a bloody nose dizzying 5'6" tall, so I sold it to a tall guy who still plays with it and loves it.....Gerry&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;will recieve nothing for this testamonial! <hr /></blockquote> Every snooker cue I've ever played with is shorter than any pool cue (~58") that I own. Some were three inches shorter. I'd say the average snooker cue that I've shot with falls in the 55"-57" ranges. Q?

Exception: the long reach cue needed with the long rest

Fred

SteveFromNY
10-02-2003, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the responses. The cue I'm looking at is on ebay (hoping for the best in my first big ebay purchase). It's a jt8 with 2 shafts. I've just gotten so used to my predator shaft that I'm hesitant in buying it before trying it out. Does anybody know how they hit compared to the 314?

Cueless Joey
10-02-2003, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> Thanks for the responses. The cue I'm looking at is on ebay (hoping for the best in my first big ebay purchase). It's a jt8 with 2 shafts. I've just gotten so used to my predator shaft that I'm hesitant in buying it before trying it out. Does anybody know how they hit compared to the 314? <hr /></blockquote>
If you are used to your 314, you might just have that fitter to the Judd. It'll be easy since Judd uses a 5/16 14 pin. It is flat however. Not piloted.

SteveFromNY
10-02-2003, 09:54 AM
at the risk of sounding clueless, can I "order" a Predator shaft to be custom made without sacraficing one of the shafts that come with the cue? <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> Thanks for the responses. The cue I'm looking at is on ebay (hoping for the best in my first big ebay purchase). It's a jt8 with 2 shafts. I've just gotten so used to my predator shaft that I'm hesitant in buying it before trying it out. Does anybody know how they hit compared to the 314? <hr /></blockquote>
If you are used to your 314, you might just have that fitter to the Judd. It'll be easy since Judd uses a 5/16 14 pin. It is flat however. Not piloted. <hr /></blockquote>

Cueless Joey
10-02-2003, 10:04 AM
I would think you can.
A 314 shaft is normally around .840" at the joint which is around Judd's alley.
You can call or e-mail Judd and get his checker/rings.
Have that fitted to the 314 shaft with a 5/16 14 insert (but flattened) and you should be set to go.

SteveFromNY
10-02-2003, 10:53 AM
thank you! i think i'm gonna go for it. i just noticed this guy's got 0 feedbacks though so he's a new seller. any experienced ebayers have suggestions?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3629021768&amp;category=21 2

Cueless Joey
10-02-2003, 10:57 AM
I suggest using an escrow service after the sale.
E-mail him if he's willing to split the cost.
If he's not willing to use an escrow service, you're on your own.

Aboo
10-02-2003, 11:04 AM
Well, you can do a few things about his 0 feedback rating. You could email him and talk to him. Tell him about your concerns. It looks like he's a fairly experienced eBay seller, judging by his auction page layout. So the 0 feedback thing COULD be a concern. He could just be using one of those Auction generator's too though :P Ask him what his previous user name was, if he had one. It's possible that he took a break from eBaying and forgot his password. You can still look up his feed back and try to talk to a few of his previous customers.

If he refuses to do that or is just not very talkative...
You could also use a Credit Card through PayPal to pay him. If your cue doesn't show within 29 days, you can cancel the payment, taking your money back.

SPetty
10-02-2003, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr> You could also use a Credit Card through PayPal to pay him. If your cue doesn't show within 29 days, you can cancel the payment, taking your money back. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Aboo,

Excellent points on all counts, except I don't think this last part is quite accurate. I had a real bad time with a real bad eBay seller recently, so I was looking into how to get my money back. I couldn't find anything on PayPal that said I could cancel my payment. All I found was this:<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PayPal FAQ:</font><hr>Q) Can I cancel a payment that I've already sent to someone?

A) You may only cancel a payment if the Status of the payment is Unclaimed and the recipient has not yet signed up for PayPal and collected the money directly. (If your payment is Completed and you want to request a refund, please contact the recipient of the payment directly.)<hr /></blockquote>I don't think I've ever seen the status of the payment as "Unclaimed" - it is always claimed instantly.

(My bad seller eventually did a PayPal refund, which doesn't cost anyone anything to do, but you've gotta get them to actually do it!)

Aboo
10-02-2003, 01:05 PM
Yes ma'am, through PayPal you can't repeal the money. But most credit card companies will let you. My Visa card will, as I've had to do it once. It will cost you a bit (mine cost 10 bucks) but they'll do it. 10.00 bucks is a slight ding, compared to 500+ IMHO

griffith_d
10-02-2003, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> at the risk of sounding clueless, can I "order" a Predator shaft to be custom made without sacraficing one of the shafts that come with the cue? <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> Thanks for the responses. The cue I'm looking at is on ebay (hoping for the best in my first big ebay purchase). It's a jt8 with 2 shafts. I've just gotten so used to my predator shaft that I'm hesitant in buying it before trying it out. Does anybody know how they hit compared to the 314? <hr /></blockquote>
If you are used to your 314, you might just have that fitter to the Judd. It'll be easy since Judd uses a 5/16 14 pin. It is flat however. Not piloted. <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Order a partial from Seybert's and have it custom made to any butt.

Griff

Gerry
10-02-2003, 04:37 PM
Hi Fred,
Maybe I'm using the wrong term in saying snooker length. The cue was built 1 inch longer in the butt, and the shaft was also 1" longer. It was built for a tall guy named Randy in Pa. He made me a nice deal so I could'nt pass it up even though it was out of my reach so to speak:).....Gerry

Fred Agnir
10-03-2003, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> at the risk of sounding clueless, can I "order" a Predator shaft to be custom made without sacraficing one of the shafts that come with the cue? <hr /></blockquote> If you receive a cue that already has a shaft, then custom ordering a Predator to fit that butt of that cue doesn't sacrifice that shaft or any other shaft that may have come with the cue.

Is that what you're asking?

Be advised, some cuemakers will refuse to fit a Predator shaft on their cues. Some will not.

Fred

Qtec
10-03-2003, 07:50 AM
Correct. Standard size is around 57/58". Occasionaly you get a longer cue with a shipment , but if you want a cue at 60"or more ,you usually have to order it from the maker.
On the whole, pool cues are longer.

Q

SteveFromNY
10-03-2003, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> at the risk of sounding clueless, can I "order" a Predator shaft to be custom made without sacraficing one of the shafts that come with the cue? <hr /></blockquote> If you receive a cue that already has a shaft, then custom ordering a Predator to fit that butt of that cue doesn't sacrifice that shaft or any other shaft that may have come with the cue.

Is that what you're asking?

Be advised, some cuemakers will refuse to fit a Predator shaft on their cues. Some will not.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>I wanted a predator shaft to have the same color ring as the new cue so I was wondering how to do that but I called Judd and he said that he sells them for $175 which sounds great (very courteous man btw). I thought for some reason that the only way to do this was to send in the original shaft and have them remove the ring and install it onto the predator.

Cueless Joey
10-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Steve, say hello to Judd for me the next time you talk to him. Tell him it's Joey who used to pick his brains in his shop at Riverside.