PDA

View Full Version : '99' is of the devil.

cycopath
10-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Sometimes I feel like having a good cry after a game of '99'. I don't know why my numbers are so inconsistent. Right now I'm running an average of 40.7 based off of my last 20 games like the website says to do.

So I'm an "Intermediate Player", and that's... o-k...
Because I'm good enough and I'm start enough and dog gone it people like me.

Does anybody else play 99? What's your average?

Aboo
10-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Hmm, never heard of it, I don't think /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Can you link to the website your speaking of??

cycopath
10-01-2003, 03:46 PM
http://www.poolmag.com/player/index.html

Aboo
10-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Interesting concept! I'll give it a try tonight and see what I can come up with... I'm betting not quite as good as you though :P

dg-in-centralpa
10-01-2003, 06:21 PM
Cyco - my average is upper 50's with a high game of 74. It's an interesting game, but I think it would be more effective if you couldn't pick up the cueball after the break and have BIH.

DG - can't wait for the weekend

Perk
10-02-2003, 06:37 AM
I played that game without BIH after break, cause I thought the rules were that way. Was very humbling results. I was only scoring in high 30's, low 40's. The kewl thing about it without BIH is that you can just look at your scores and see your break results. I pot balls on break consistently, and was working on the leaves more. Doesnt make sense to make a ball on break (2 pts), and then not have a shot, so your inning is a total of 3. After working on this game for awhile, I played some sets of 9 ball with a friend of mine who is an A++ player....and my breaks were great, and I kept the sets close 7-5,7-6.....I think the game is a good game to work on by yourself.

<---got tired of racking right away though.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RedHell
10-02-2003, 08:14 AM
I like that game, I tried to get a couple done a week, but I don't keep my stats, so I would guess I'm around 40.

The thing I dislike is that there's no room for scoring on safeties. Sometimes you get a solid break but you get a cluster nearly impossible to break and that stops me from scoring higher than 4. I wish I knew a way to get points in for safety, as that part of the game is as important as offense.

Perk
10-02-2003, 09:21 AM
I think that when I play the game (the right way) utilizing ball in hand, my scores will go up. I think I will keep the CB where it is if I have a shot, and circle the scoring, that way I know when I have true runouts.

8 ball ho
10-03-2003, 02:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> Sometimes I feel like having a good cry after a game of '99'. I don't know why my numbers are so inconsistent. Right now I'm running an average of 40.7 based off of my last 20 games like the website says to do.

Dear Cyco, did you consider taking up bowling? Try scuba diving, you just sink like a rock to the bottom and just hang out there and let the little fishes go by, lot's of fun, very little frustration involved, cyco, divers do it deeper. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So I'm an "Intermediate Player", and that's... o-k...
Because I'm good enough and I'm start enough and dog gone it people like me.

Does anybody else play 99? What's your average? <hr /></blockquote>

cycopath
10-04-2003, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8 ball ho:</font><hr>Try scuba diving, you just sink like a rock to the bottom and just hang out there and let the little fishes go by, lot's of fun, very little frustration involved, cyco, divers do it deeper.<hr /></blockquote>Thanks for the suggestion, Ho. I'll keep that in mind.

Rod
10-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Well, people like me too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm going down to hit a few today. I might just play this game for a break in routine. I played Olympic 9 some years back with a high average, I'll see how this compares. Well either this or Fargo because I need a challenge.

Rod

plato 17
10-04-2003, 04:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8 ball ho:</font><hr>Try scuba diving, you just sink like a rock to the bottom and just hang out there and let the little fishes go by, lot's of fun, very little frustration involved, cyco, divers do it deeper.<hr /></blockquote>Thanks for the suggestion, Ho. I'll keep that in mind.

<hr /></blockquote> Dear sir, sometimes when the stark truth about ones playing abilities is staring you right in the face, it is hard to accept it. Most of us do think we are much better than we really are. Bowling and or scuba diving was a good idea you might ponder on. Perhaps sir, your expectations of you, are too high set by you, lower them, and have more fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rod
10-04-2003, 06:37 PM
I tried this today after I got warmed up a little. I had an 11 then a 9 and a 4, bad cluster. I got interrupted, come back with a 11 then interrupted again and I had to call it quits. It's an ok game, but because you rack another ball besides the one ball in front any decent players want to question why.

Rod

Sam
10-04-2003, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's an ok game, but because you rack another ball besides the one ball in front any decent players want to question why.
<hr /></blockquote>

From their website: "This keeps every rack different from inning to inning, yet consistent for players participating world-wide, no matter what equipment they may be playing on!"

Seems like a weak explanation, even with the exclamation point.

Maybe it makes it a bit easier to keep track of which "inning" you're in?

cycopath
10-06-2003, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sam:</font><hr>Maybe it makes it a bit easier to keep track of which "inning" you're in?
<hr /></blockquote>
That's what I always assumed.