PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox choking again.

Cueless Joey
10-02-2003, 04:38 PM
Yikes! One more loss equals 85 years!
Damn, it must be tough to be a Sox fan.

wolfdancer
10-02-2003, 05:31 PM
Don't say it, don't even think it, don't go there..it's heresy!!!
The Boston Red Sox do NOT choke; they get bad calls, and strange bounces, but never, never ever, CHOKE.
If James Michael Curley were alive, you'ld have the Irish Mafia to deal with..then again, if'n he wasn't in jail, he'd be running for Gov. of Ca.
AND, it's never tough to be a believer,or Red Sox Fan..you don't even need to be a N.E. native to become one of the annointed...the Sox transcend regional sports allegiances
"Success is a journey, not a destination" Ben Sweetland
If by some Messianic gift, they actually are allowed to win...the spiritual journey, our Quixotic quest will be over (as it has been for decades in NYC)...we'ld be singing Peggy Lee's "Is that all there is?"....but wouldn't it be sweet????????

Hopster
10-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Wolf, did you see the show on HBO, The curse of the Bambino ? I thought it was a great show, very entertaining.

Kato
10-03-2003, 08:59 AM
I just can't stand watching. It's like a train wreck. Least my Marlins are fighting strong. I sure hope the Red Sox show up big in Fenway and can maybe go back to Oakland and steal one.

Kato

Voodoo Daddy
10-03-2003, 11:50 AM
When the smoke clears...<Voodoo laughs with a sinister tone> Your FISH and Bo-Sox will be watching the playoffs just like you...on a SONY!! HAHAHAHAHA. I hate the Bo-Sox being a YANKEE'S FAN and tell ya the truth, its hard watching them play too!!

Voodoo~~~LONG LIVE THE CURSE OF THE BAMBINO

Kato
10-03-2003, 11:53 AM
God forbid the Yankees lose again this year. The best thing to ever happen to that team, Joe Torre, will be out on his ear.

I hate to disappoint you Steve, the Red Sox or Marlins may not win, but neither will the Yankees.

Kato~~~you should have just called me Voodoo. Surely the internet doesn't need to be polluted with more Yankee dribble? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
10-03-2003, 12:47 PM
I know you hate me KATO...dont hate me or any team I root for. HATE the Bo-Sox for failing you every stinking year you have been alive and for decades before that. You do not have to like the YANKEE'S...but you could respect the YANKEE'S...they clearly have more to offer a sports fan and are known world wide for excellence. Just the truth...internet or not. Truth is, if they win or lose they are the most dominant Baseball organization in the history of the game but hey, I'm a NY sports fan!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo~~~loves a good volley....

Kato
10-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Hate is a very strong word sir. I hate you differently than most people hate others. Did I hate you when the Dolphins beat the Jets? Certainly not. Did I hate you when the sorry A$$ NY Rangers took their bloated payroll show on the road and got showed up like a bunch of chumps everywhere they went last year? How about the Knicks? Did I hate you for the Knicks? Bunch a slugs. Am I going to hate you when I'm at Joe Robbie Stadium tomorrow with 55,000 Marlin fans? Of course not. What I hate is what has happened to baseball over the last 10 years or so and the downward spiral its taken. King George has much to do with that (along with CBS's ridiculous contract). You sir, while well connected in the pool world probably have very little to do with the nuts and bolts of ridiculous fiscal irresponsibility shown by not only King George but a whole bunch of other billionaire owners that rape the public for new stadiums to make sure million dollar prima donnas can be catered to in the luxury they think they deserve.

When the Marlins won the World Series 7 years ago they had the 4th or 5th highest payroll in the bigs at $47M. The Indians were 2nd or so with about $70M. This year the Yankees had a $186M payroll. Their (they Yank's) closest payroll competitors this year was the Mets coming in around $125M. In '97 the Marlin's were accused of "buying" the WS. Sure they did, with the 5th highest payroll in baseball, whatever. Why, because they signed Sheffield, Bonilla, and Alou as Free Agents? Fast forward ahead, is anyone accusing the Yankees of trying to "buy" the WS this year? I haven't heard it. Why? Because they try to buy it every year and it's just not worth repeating. How about the Marlin's? Are they trying to "buy" the WS? They have the same payroll as 7 years ago and are in the playoffs. Why not now? Because they show responsibility and can only pay what our market bears. Watch as a team we love gets torn apart next year. Watch as they don't resign A.J Burnett, Mike Lowell, or D Lee. Watch when Urbina takes a walk.

What I do know is that King George is working on:

1) Bankrupting as many teams as possible that try to keep up with him.

2) Ruining or has ruined the game for any team not in New York, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago or LA.

How about when the Red Sox and Yank's were bidding on Contraras this year in the off season? Theo Epstein saw what it was like, out of control. By the way, is Contraras on the Yank's post season roster? So they paid $7M a year to a guy that won't even pitch during their run to their 27th championship. That's King George. The D'Backs have already promised to reduce payroll next year. The Indians who were always spending money have gone in the opposite direction. Teams like the Expos, Marlin's, A's, Angels, Twins, Royals, and Padres could never hope to maintain the stars they manufacture. Hopefully someday fiscal sanity will be restored.

I will give the Yankees credit where credit is due. Way back when the Yank's were signing over-the-hill stars like Barfield and Bell they had terrible baseball people that knew nothing but spending the bottomless pit known as King George's wallet (payroll probably around $20M). Now they have an unbelievable baseball machine stocked with unbelievable baseball people. The Yank's are smart. Bob Watson was a great GM. I'm not sure about the guy now. I think George has a bit of an issue with him sometimes though that's probably normal. Joe Torre has stamped his ticket to the Hall of Fame. Zim must be great because I'm pretty sure he's been dead for 20 years and they keep propping him up. They grew Soriano, Jeter, Williams, and Pettite (to name a few). They knew Giambi was a star and Clemens wasn't done. They knew the Moose was better than advertised and they knew great pitching won championships. They assembled a great starting staff and turned out Mariano Rivera and went on a terrific run. They beat the Braves at their own game and did it all with a bottomless pit of revenue.

Steve, my hatred for you is laced with love and respect. I hate the Yankees because in my eyes they've begun the ruination of baseball. I say this not as a Marlin fan but as a baseball fan. I say this as a guy that will stay awake until the wee hours of the morning to see the end of the Padres vs Brewers. I say this as a guy that thinks 1-0 pitchers duels are a thing of beauty. I say this as a guy that likes to go to batting practice and I say this as a guy who was driving around the suburbs of Nashville yesterday and stopped to watch a little high school baseball. As someone who loves baseball and all of it's glitches, and double switches, and pitch outs. I love the bang-bang play on a steal of 3rd base and the sacrifice bunt. I love the 6-4-3 double play and I love to watch the right fielder gun down a guy at home. I love situational hitting and throwing to the cut off man. Forget about the hit and run and the suicide squeeze. I love the walk off home run. I love watching Sammy's hop and Bonds hitting one into McCovey's Cove. I do not love the Yankees, I will not love the Yankees. I will see the Red Sox win the World Series before I die and there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

Thank you for your time.

Kato~~~has officially written his longest post ever about a topic I believe I understand and am very passionate about.

nAz
10-03-2003, 01:52 PM
"Zim must be great because I'm pretty sure he's been dead for 20 years and they keep propping him up." rotf

Dude it's not the Yankees fault (GS) that the rules are set up the way they are, blame free agency for that Players union and the Commissioner of baseball who was voted in by all the team owners including the Brewers and Padres. all those other teams should should do what the Yankees have done... raise ticket prices by %200 /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW 1918

Kato
10-03-2003, 01:56 PM
And George is leading the way.

You can argue with me all you want but I made my point and I won't waver from it.

Of course the Brewers voted in the commisioner, he's the darn owner!!!!!!!! and the rest of the owners go along with George because they all want his luxury tax money and keep hoping he'll share some of the $700M in T.V. and radio money they bring in. Listen, George is smart, he knows how to make money but he's still ruining my favorite game. Parity is the great equalizer in sports. There is no parity in baseball.

Kato~~~making more points. Like 'em or not.

Kato

wolfdancer
10-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Not only saw that one, but another about Ted William's friends, remembering him...great shows both...and hope to tape the repeats....

wolfdancer
10-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Dear Sir, It's with regret, that I must inform you that you are no longer a bona fide Red Sox Fan, and all privilages are hereby suspended.
The true Sox fan has undivided loyalties...not shared with another team....and the Marlins???????????
We could overlook this transgression, BUT..."I just can't stand watching...it's like a train wreck"...UNFORGIVEABLE ..I was so choked up when I read that, I almost passed out...but wait, we true fans, do not choke up, never.....
You did bring up some good points about the Yankees, etc....baseball has been almost priced out of the range of the avg fan. Last year my friend sold his two WS tickets, one game for $1500...great seats, just outside first base, and around 10 rows deep...but $1500?

Kato
10-04-2003, 04:43 AM
I must disagree with you here Wolfdancer. Growing up in South Florida we didn't have a major league baseball team. We had the Yankees on WSIX and the Braves on TBS. My family didn't have a lot of money so we didn't have cable so I couldn't watch the Braves. My father is from Mass so he was a Red Sox fan so around 25 years ago I hopped on board. Fast forward to 1993.

We got a baseball team in South Florida. For a baseball fan who had only seen 1 pro game in a pro stadium (Busch Stadium, 1983) it was a perfect fit. It gives me a local team to root for, it is in a different league than the Red Sox, and it gives me 2 ways to root against the teams I hate the most (Yankees, Braves). In my world it is ok to root for 2 teams as long as they are in different divisions. Yes I'm a Red Sox fan, always will be but I can't go to Fenway Park whenever I want. I've got a Red Sox heart but it bleeds Teal (Marlins), Aqua and Orange (Dolphins), Green and Orange (Hurricanes), Blue and Red (Panthers), and a little Black and Red (Maryland Terps hoops). Think what you will, I'm holding out hope.

Kato~~~got a ticket to the Marlin game tomorrow, up 2-1 with Dontrel on the hill.

Voodoo Daddy
10-04-2003, 05:41 AM
You and I see some things the same...I too hate the Braves <and the Dallas Cowboys. They call themselves "America's Team's", Who in the blue f*ck voted on that? Not me!!> Say what you will about GS, the players and the fans but dont bash GS for keeping Zimmer around. Simple acts of kindness are too few and far between, its obvious to most that he has a place in the teams/fans heart. Saying the guy that gave his whole life to your beloved game has been dead for 20 years just shows your utter bitterness...its tough rooting for the Bo-Sox. Bleed your multi-colored blood lil man...I'll bleed pinstrips.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-04-2003, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>

....I say this as a guy that likes to go to batting practice and I say this as a guy who was driving around the suburbs of Nashville yesterday and stopped to watch a little high school baseball.....<hr /></blockquote>

Have you heard of a high school catcher in Ft. Lauderdale named Brian Van Kirk? He's a senior this year.

His brother Robert Van Kirk is in the minors with the BoSox.

Kato
10-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Did I say I had a problem with Zimmer?

Kato~~~anybody see me at Joe Robbie today? I was there with 65,000 fair weather fans.

Voodoo Daddy
10-04-2003, 08:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Zim must be great because I'm pretty sure he's been dead for 20 years and they keep propping him up. <hr /></blockquote>

Pretty disrespectful words coming from a "Baseball man"

eg8r
10-04-2003, 08:50 PM
I love a good argument...can I step in just real quick???

If the Yankees win and they bought the World Series, what were the Red Sox, Dodgers and Mets doing with their money???

Sure they did not spend as much, but they did spend more than everyone else. When people say the Yankees are buying the WS, what they are really saying is...Correct me if I am wrong...They have the intelligence to go out and spend good money on players that will perform?

Easy yes or no. The Mets have spent big money and what happened? The Dodgers spend big money every year, but what happened? The Boston Red Sox spend big money every year and what has happened every year?????

There is a lot more to it than money, and I cannot stand it when other people aruge that money wins games. That is pure and utter BS. Also, high dollar players do not win games. Look at A-Rod, Griffey and a host of others. What wins games, and pennants, and WS's are players who go out everyday and play their best and win. This happens in Florida, Oakland, NYC, etc. If you would like to argue about spending money, then complain about the scouting group at Boston, LA, and the Mets. They are spending a lot of money on guys that do not perform consistently enough to win a championship.

There is no reason why the Mets are not in the playoffs, other than, their high priced payroll does not play well. The Yankees have done a great job at getting players that consistently play. There are a lot of homegrown players on their team, and there is no reason why they should not be able to pay those guys to keep them. Heck the Yankees are the ones that helped mold them into the players they are. As far as the players brought in as free agents or new signings, what can you say, they play. And play consistently. Can that be said of the other teams with high payrolls...I would say NO.

eg8r