PDA

View Full Version : Pool and diabetes

SRpool
10-03-2003, 03:39 PM
I am wondering if anyone here has diabetes and/or know someone who does that uses an insulin pump and plays pool?? I hear it helps and makes things easier and possibly could play better or more consistant. I am set to get one in december so I was just hoping someone had some info. Thanks

Sarah Rousey

nAz
10-03-2003, 04:00 PM
hey hot stuff /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif how are you doing?
never heard of that pump but i hope it works for you.
one thing how would you go about traveling by air with the equipment, do you need some kind of doctors note?

BTW are you going to play in Windsor Ontario this month?

stay sweet, did you leave em yet /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
10-03-2003, 04:34 PM
SRpool
I am type I and my son is type II.
He has to take shots twice a day and only monitors his sugar level about 3 times a day.

We were considering the pump at one time, but it requires more sugar level testing (something my son hates to do).

Depending on where you have the pump located on your body, I would think that the bending over to shoot would not be a recommended repetitive activity for the setup.

Hope this helps..

bluewolf
10-04-2003, 06:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr> I am wondering if anyone here has diabetes and/or know someone who does that uses an insulin pump and plays pool?? I hear it helps and makes things easier and possibly could play better or more consistant. I am set to get one in december so I was just hoping someone had some info. Thanks

Sarah Rousey <hr /></blockquote>

We have a lot of diabetes in my family. My mom is type 1 and I wish she could have that pump but is not a candidate for it. I would talk to your dr. Maybe they can put it somewhere that wont mess up the pump when you bend over to shoot.

Laura

Rich R.
10-04-2003, 06:54 AM
Sarah, many years ago, I had a neighbor who volunteered as a guinea pig to test the early models of the insulin pumps. At that time, the pump was about the size of a VCR tape. She liked the pump and I believe she is still using them. However, they have come a long way since then.

There is also a young lady, with an insulin pump, playing in my pool league. Hers is only a little larger than a credit card and slips in the back pocket of her slacks. All anyone sees is a super thin tube, coming from the pump and going under her clothing. Honestly, I was around her for many months, before I even noticed it.
She seems to have no problem playing with it.

From the little I know about them, I believe you will like it and, after a short adjustment period, you should have no problem.
Good luck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SRpool
10-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Thank you everyone for your info.

Tom, you know what i am going through then and yes the blood testing is awful but if that takes away taking so many shots its worth it.

I know it can be put in different spots and changed every few days so maybe something will work.

Rich R. I'm glad to know it was somewhat un-noticable that eases my mind a little bit, I was a little afraid of everyone asking what it is.

Thanks again everyone and take care.

sarah

Rich R.
10-04-2003, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr> I'm glad to know it was somewhat un-noticable that eases my mind a little bit, I was a little afraid of everyone asking what it is. <hr /></blockquote>
Sarah, don't worry about people noticing. I believe, by now, most people have heard about the pumps, but a lot of them have not seen them. When they ask, just simply tell them what it is. Out of curiosity, they may even ask to see it, or ask you other questions. You will get used to the inquiries. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is a great invention, helping a lot of people, and it is nothing to be concerned about.