PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Willard Tip Machine

JimS
04-12-2002, 09:45 AM
I was lucky enough to find a Willard on eBay recently and used it for the first time last weekend. Great tool.......but.....

When I put the tip in the plastic holder/tube and tried to insert the holder into the barrel of the machine it fit so snugly that it was very difficult to insert and dammed near impossible to remove without chewing it up with pliers.

I tried using a little 600 grit sandpaper on the plastic but this didn't seem to do much to help. I tried a little very light machine oil and I cleaned/oiled the barrel in the machine, all to no avail. I'm struggling to think of a way to reduce the size of the shaft/holder just a little bit or to think of a method of lubricating the shaft so it will come in and out without a real fight. If I had a lathe I'd just spin it against some sandpaper or emory paper. I wonder if the end would fit in my drill press so I could spin it that way? Would baby powder or dish soap work as a lubricant? ????

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can reduce the size of the plastic holder just a hair or how it can be lubricated.

Troy
04-12-2002, 09:58 AM
Did you get my e-mail Jim ??? Did that help ???

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JimS:</font><hr> I was lucky enough to find a Willard on eBay recently and used it for the first time last weekend. Great tool.......but.....

When I put the tip in the plastic holder/tube and tried to insert the holder into the barrel of the machine it fit so snugly that it was very difficult to insert and dammed near impossible to remove without chewing it up with pliers.

I tried using a little 600 grit sandpaper on the plastic but this didn't seem to do much to help. I tried a little very light machine oil and I cleaned/oiled the barrel in the machine, all to no avail. I'm struggling to think of a way to reduce the size of the shaft/holder just a little bit or to think of a method of lubricating the shaft so it will come in and out without a real fight. If I had a lathe I'd just spin it against some sandpaper or emory paper. I wonder if the end would fit in my drill press so I could spin it that way? Would baby powder or dish soap work as a lubricant? ????

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can reduce the size of the plastic holder just a hair or how it can be lubricated.

<hr></blockquote>

JimS
04-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Hi Troy,

Yes I got it. I was up in the middle of the night and read it but I didn't reply and I forgot to this morning.

It was good to hear that you and maybe others have experienced the same problem but I'd already tried cleaning the barrel and sanding lightly on the tube/holder and I tried washing the tube with dishsoap.

I didn't have the 800 number for Willard's so I appreciate that but I can't help but wonder if a new tube wouldn't present the same problems. Maybe this post will get some answers for both of us?! Thanks for your input! Well I guess I COULD just call them and ask for their advice...duh? Hadn't thought of that until this moment. I'm a little slow on the uptake when I don't sleep well.....some might say I'm a little slow on the uptake....period!

Troy
04-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Hi Jim... You've probably already done this, but make sure the set screw for the trimmer is fully retracted when using the tip holder. Even the slighest bit of that set screw will bother the tip holder.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JimS:</font><hr> Hi Troy,

Yes I got it. I was up in the middle of the night and read it but I didn't reply and I forgot to this morning.

It was good to hear that you and maybe others have experienced the same problem but I'd already tried cleaning the barrel and sanding lightly on the tube/holder and I tried washing the tube with dishsoap.

I didn't have the 800 number for Willard's so I appreciate that but I can't help but wonder if a new tube wouldn't present the same problems. Maybe this post will get some answers for both of us?! Thanks for your input! Well I guess I COULD just call them and ask for their advice...duh? Hadn't thought of that until this moment. I'm a little slow on the uptake when I don't sleep well.....some might say I'm a little slow on the uptake....period! <hr></blockquote>

JimS
04-12-2002, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the try Troy and I wish that the cutter set screw was the problem. That was the first place my mind went when the tip holder got stuck half way in and wouldn't budge either way. The tip holder just fits toooooo dammed good, built to just slightly toooo close tolerances. It needs just a little wider tolerances, imo, like maybe 1/64" more play. That wouldn't hurt anyting, like getting the tip off center any appreciable amount.....I don't think?

stickman
04-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Blackheart told me that he used a couple of these in his shop. He said that they worked great, and freed up his lathes for other work. You might check with him, what he does or if any modifications were done.

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=4662&amp;S earch=true&amp;Forum=ccbboard&amp;Words=Willard%20tipping% 20machine&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit =25&amp;Old=1month&amp;Main=4216

BLACKHEART
04-12-2002, 02:16 PM
Hi Jim. I think I know what your problem is. From time to time a little super glue from the tip will get onto the aluminum. Even a small amount will make it really hard to get the plastic tip holder or trimmer into the hole. Just use your finger &amp; some 400 grit sandpaper on the aluminum. You may have to do the same to the Delrin plastic tip holder &amp; trimmer tool. Sand a little at a time til they go in. By the way you can go to K-Mart or Wal-Mart &amp; buy pencil sharpeners &amp; use the blades for your trimmer. I get the kind that has 2 blades held in by screws...JER

JimS
04-12-2002, 05:58 PM
Thanks Jer,

I tried earlier to email you about this. I just got home and found that the email was not delivered and that was because I had your old @home email address. I got the new one from your home page.

I sanded the inside of the barrel with 600 and I also sanded the plastic tip holder with 220 and then smoothed it with 600 and all is well. Now it slides in and out of the barrel as smooth as a polished shaft through an open bridge! A few other analogies of things sliding smoothly through other things came to mind but I remembered just in time that this is a family web site.

Thanks for the help..and Troy, thank you too!

JimS
04-12-2002, 06:50 PM
Thanks Stickman. I remembered that Jer said he used two of them but couldn't remember when it was posted or under what thread and his old email address that I had didn't work. Thanks for going to the trouble of looking it up.