PDA

View Full Version : League play

bluewolf
10-04-2003, 07:06 AM
It just so happened that when I came to my home town for four weeks, I told ww to tell the captain to find someone else for the team. ww had hurt his back so could not play either and the team folded.

Now I am not saying anything against leagues and I know a lot of people on here like them, but we do have handicapped and non handicapped tournies at home that a person can play in. I have been thinking about getting off leagues and trying to just work on my game and competing in non league tournies instead for a long time. Other than liking to see my friends on league night, I really did not see the advantage of league play for me when there are other non-league tournies here, but that is just me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It appears, that destiny has played this out.

For those of you who do not play in leagues, what is it that you like about playing pool this way, how do you get competition and how do you keep yourself motivated to keep improving without knowing you have a match coming up every week??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

There is a neat handicapped tournie at home everyweek. 15$ and you play two matches even if you lose. There is no computer tally. The guy running it is a nice older gentleman who I understand was very good in his younger days. You play at whatever sl he says you are for his tournie. There is money to be won and little sandbagging from what I have seen when I played in it. A super nice bunch there and good competition.

Then there are two nonhandicapped tournies for the budding A-B players, one of which our very own ccber, Keith mccready plays in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Laura

wolfdancer
10-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Laura, I'm no longer a league player...but I miss it. I've gone down to watch a couple of team matches recently.
Why do folks play in leagues? It would be easier to comment on why they don't...3 or 4 hours required for just the few games that you play...time outs, and "arguements" with your teammates about why you didn't shoot "their" shot
I like the whole drama, sweating out your teammates game, getting different inputs on strategy, and sharing the victories and defeats. Somehow each win is more meaningful, when you're playing for a team, and each loss more "tragic"
It's a night out with the boys, or the boys and girls...
Tournament money won, is spent and soon forgotten, but that funny looking trophy has a lifetime of memories.
Now if I could only get a team to sign me up.......
My old team captain, was commenting on my replacement..."he's only about a .500 player, but then he's replacing a .500 player"

bolo
10-04-2003, 11:05 AM
I don't care for leagues myself, but that is more due to, I don't like committing to having to be there. For most though they like it. The majority I would say just see it as a night out, they like the game and try their best but their lives don't revolve around playing pool. I think from reading on here not all leagues are created equal, some are run well and some are not, you can't generalize.

JPB
10-04-2003, 11:23 AM
I have posted before on how much I dislike leagues. Both in pool and other things. I won't list those reasons I have discussed before. But I am interested in your question about how to stay motivated without a match to play. I think this question brings up some interesting factors that all lead to one question. Why do YOU play pool. The reasons differ for all of us. And I don't think there is one motivation, rather we all have a mix of reasons to play with different motivations receiving different weight. For me, I like to see games well played. And I like trying to play them well. I like to compete. I like trying to match up against better players and often play better when I do. I am a perfectionist, which actually can hold me back in many things. That's another story I guess. I am not much of a joiner. I am kind of an individualist. I work with one partner in a small office in real life. I am no longer an employee. I am not big on regimentation. I like the aesthetic aspect of high quality games. So I naturally prefer to play on full size high quality equipment to bar tables. So you can see how the thought of 4 hours in a bar to play 3 games of bar table eight ball with a lot of bureaucracy and rules thrown in with drunk rules maven people does not excite me. OTOH, I could play or watch 3 cushion billiards in a nice place for hours. I will take a stab in a pot limit poker game I don't figure to beat if I can match up against good players and I am interested in learning how to play. it is why I hated my golf league but like playing individual non-handicapped tourns in that sport. I don't mind playing non handicapped tourns in whatever game and getting the crap beat out of me. I don't need or want a handicap to see if I can win a prize I don't care about. I want to see how well I can play even if it means I find out I'm not very good. Those are my motivations. I suspect yours are different. perhaps you like the social aspect of leagues. or being part of a team. That kind of thing. Well, I hate that stuff. Doesn't make me better or you worse, but you need to figure out your own motivations. Once you figure out your own motivations you can better choose what to play, where to play it, and how to improve. You will enjoy the game more. And since most of us aren't ever going to be pros, that is important.

P.S. Here's an example. this morning before posting this I hit some balls on my table downstairs. Just practicing. And I'm not great. But I hit a few perfect ones. I love the feel of my custom cue hitting the centennial cue ball just right and seeing it do what I wanted. Seeing the cueball run around on good cloth, spinning, stopping, drawing, whatever. The sound of the hit. the feel of it through a hand made cue. There's some of my motivation.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-04-2003, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>
....It would be easier to comment on why they don't...3 or 4 hours required for just the few games that you play.... <hr /></blockquote>

That's the problem I have. Of course if there is a practice table, that helps a lot. I play 2 nights a week. I am captain on Thursday. We're a bunch of ball-slappers. I am the best player on the team, as hard as that is to believe, so I feel obligated to coach. I feel like I'm pretty good at it because I consider the skill set of the player I'm coaching. Of course that pretty much eliminates the chance to play on the practice table.

ras314
10-04-2003, 01:01 PM
" Then there are two nonhandicapped tournies for the budding A-B players, one of which our very own ccber, Keith mccready plays in."

Wow! That must be one tuff tournament. In our little bar tournament we have one good player, the rest of us not so hot. So this good player handicapps himself by adding one rack he has to win for every tournament he wins. Keeps him paying attention to his game as well as giving the rest of us a chance once in a while. When he doesn't win he drops back a rack.

I don't play leagues since there arn't any in a reasonable distance. However I don't like the idea of playing one rack or set, then sitting down for an hour. If I go to play pool, I want to play, not sit around and socialize.

bolo
10-04-2003, 01:24 PM
I am kind of in your camp. I think if I was on a desert island right after building a shack I would start on a pool table. I love to compete but the joy of the game can be really enough for me. I can play for hours by myself. I have had people ask me how I could stand practicing so much. They just don't get it.

Rich R.
10-04-2003, 02:17 PM
I don't know for sure, but I would guess that BW is referring to the Falcon Tour.
http://www.planet-pool.com/

Although Keith has been a regular, many pro players stop in on these tournaments, when they are in the Mid-Atlantic area.
Just go to the points list and run down the list of names. You will see at least a few that you recognize. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

plato 17
10-04-2003, 04:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> It just so happened that when I came to my home town for four weeks, I told ww to tell the captain to find someone else for the team. ww had hurt his back so could not play either and the team folded.

Ah so Grasshopper, you now listen to the wisdom of one of your teachers, his words now come home. Getting away is good, when you return, confusion is gone, you see things now in a clear light of what they really are. You must follow your path that leads to your best advancement as a player and what produces the most enjoyment for your dollar. That means not always following what the crowd or clic does. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bluewolf
10-04-2003, 05:11 PM
There was a time it seemed I needed the weekly match to motivate me to practice.

That has changed. I just want to get better at pool. I no longer need that and would be looking for people to play if there were no tounies here. That one op game, I played, I wanted to win as bad as any APA match I ever played and tried as hard as I ever had in any league matches. And there was no money on the table, either. But other than loving the op game, I saw that something else had changed too.

Laura