PDA

View Full Version : The first rack is often my best one...

Leviathan
10-04-2003, 07:52 AM
The first rack of the day is often my best one, even if I go in cold, without any warmup. I want that first rack, and I really make an effort to get it right; but I lose my edge after a couple of games. My concentration goes south and I make careless mistakes. (I know this sounds like ordinary creeping senility, but I resist that idea.) Do other players have this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks,
DM

jjinfla
10-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Nope. I get better the more I play. That is, until the smoke saturates my eyes, then I can't play worth a damn.

Jake

Sid_Vicious
10-04-2003, 09:52 AM
I'm like that too, I can put the cues together fresh after walking in to play, and drill an opponent from game one for maybe an hour. I don't know what it is, but the first swings of that first game many times is impressive in consistency when compared to my regular game, and then is degrades. Maybe we expect more from ourselves, or maybe our bodies just get tired in places, the feet maybe, and it's a physical thing, we're freshest in the beginning kinda thing.

I'll always follow the recommended 15 minutes of minimum warmup before tournaments or money games, and yet I might make little sense to waste that quality time for some of us...sid~~~isn't always hot from the git-go, but it certainly happens

Wally_in_Cincy
10-04-2003, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> .... Maybe we expect more from ourselves, or maybe our bodies just get tired in places, the feet maybe, and it's a physical thing, we're freshest in the beginning kinda thing.....<hr /></blockquote>

In my case it's more mental tiredness than physical. I ocasionally play in a line tournament on Saturday. It's a sort of round-robin, continuous play format. About 25 games in 3 hours. If you're playing well it's a lot of fun, but if your stroke is off it's quite mentally tiring.

As to the original question, it takes a couple of shots for me to get comfortable then I'm ok for a while. But after a few games I begin to feel mentally tired.

Need to play more long sessions I suppose.

Sid_Vicious
10-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Wally...What surprises me is the reality check my body, especially my legs and feet give when I get off the table and home following an outing of pool. Now during the competition I don't really notice it, but once I'm done for the day it hits me. The point is though that the body didn't just "get tired" all of a sudden, it was a factor all along, but the fun factor of pool camouflages much of it while the competition is in progress. Well it doesn't really hide it, most of us do miss balls more the later it gets. I look at it this way, it is a race to see whether the physical or the mental fatigue will get ya first. Older I get, they both hammer me pretty hard these days :-( sid

Pelican
10-04-2003, 11:29 AM
I'm the same way leviatham. I think a lot of my problem is my back, degerative arthritis in lower back from L1 down. The longer I shoot the more the back wants to tighten and then a dull pain sets in. Hard to concentrate when you hurt. Talked to my doctor and she suggested I adapt a squat position. I have tried it but, man, talk about an unorthodox feeling.

UTAddb
10-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Usually the longer I play the better I get, to a certain extent. However, one day I walked in, someone said wanna play? I broke and ran the first rack. So I guess it's not always true.

Rod
10-04-2003, 11:59 AM
No Duke, I don't have that problem. However I do have a lot of problems. Where should I start? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif JK there, No the problem I have, although it's not really a problem, is getting warmed up. I won't start with breaking any racks until I am warmed up. At first I just don't get the cue through as well as I like. As time goes on it keeps getting better. I have to play for a long time before any real noticable drop off in performance.

Rod

Terry
10-04-2003, 01:00 PM
Hi DM, sounds like a bad thing to have. I don't know the solution to your problem, but I feel that if a person can shoot a little each day ( rather than a lot all at once ) they will get more consistant at their level of play, of course I like to shoot a lot on most days,LOL. For me it's the first match or two in a tournament that i'm concerned the most about, it's in that time where I have to get my body relaxed and find the weight of the table. The further into a tournament the more confidence I have. I also NEVER go into a tournament cold unless it's straight from work and even then I try to get a table by myself for warming up with strokes ( dead on stop, cut, draw etc. always starting with the easier ones ) and not racks like Rod said. I hope you get it solved, Good Luck, Terry

Chris Cass
10-04-2003, 01:09 PM
Hi P,

I'm sorry to hear of your pain. I too have difficulty dealing with pain. That isn't exactly the problem Leviathan is experiencing. As far as you go I would like to suggest getting used to any stance that's comfortable for you. That is what matters most. Look at Willie Mosconi. He stood straight up. I know a guy that has a stance that when he's in it I really want to kick him in the a$$. LOL True. He looks like he's sticking it out there purposely to piss me off. Well, he is French to. Wish I had my camcorder when he's there. I swear I would post it and you'd agree. hahaha

Anyway, welcome to the board and I hope you feel better soon.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
10-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Hi Leviathan,

It's always great to see you post. I think what your experiencing is boredom. Hate to say it but your missing that killer instinct. I used to feel the same too, long ago. You kind of just go through the motions and finish the game. Then lose interest.

Then, I decided when playing 9ball that, I wouldn't play anyone 9ball in practice. I'd play any other game but 9ball. I only gambled or played in tourneys when 9ball was concerned. It made me mentally under the gun when playing that game.

This may not be the problem solver or the problem at all but it's what I'm feeling. Now, if it's happening in tourneys? Then, I wouldn't enter till I really felt like ripping loose.

Best regards,

C.C.~~a DM fan for life. and RC flying fan too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

plato 17
10-04-2003, 04:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> The first rack of the day is often my best one, even if I go in cold, without any warmup. I want that first rack, and I really make an effort to get it right; but I lose my edge after a couple of games. My concentration goes south and I make careless mistakes. (I know this sounds like ordinary creeping senility, but I resist that idea.) Do other players have this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks,
DM

<hr /></blockquote> Dear Sir, you have already stated your problem and know what it is, your concentration is trash. It won't get much better either which is the bad news. You need to get with a coach who knows how to teach this subject, he can re program how you think then your problem ceases to be a problem. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Leviathan
10-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your suggestions, Gents. I'm afraid Chris is right: I just get bored, and I let the boredom make me lazy. Maybe changing my betting habits would be helpful. Maybe I should look for ways to make my practice sessions more interesting. Maybe I can just discipline myself to give the game my full attention.

On the subject of aches, pains, physical tiredness, and general decrepitude: Yeah--I know what you're talking about. It affects one's play and one's enjoyment of the game. You learn a few tricks: you stand up straight after every shot; sit like the buddha; protect and support your back by keeping your abs strong; wear good shoes; take your pain meds before you're completely shot; and drink a little fine whiskey when you've been good.

Thanks again,
DM