PDA

View Full Version : Is this the new BCA barbox cue ball?

Wally_in_Cincy
10-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Thursday we played at a joint on the west side of Hamiltucky. During my first game I noticed the cue ball was drawing easier than normal. Upon closer inspection I noticed an aramith logo. The color of the logo was a light blue-green. Is this the mysterious BCA metal-flake cue ball I have heard of? I asked the captain of the other team where the ball came from. He did not know.

Chris Cass
10-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi Wally,

Funny you should mention that. I've played some smaller tourneys with those same Aramith cb's. I was told by Greg from Diamond that Valley wanted to switch over to the optics Diamond had been using. Well since Diamond had the patten on them they had told Valley they could use them, if they made their new Valley tables according to the Diamond specs, if I recall the conversation right. Looks likes like Valley wants to go another route? I wonder what's going on in Vegas next time?

Regards,

C.C.~~Molinetuckyboy........... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sliprock
10-04-2003, 01:59 PM
Yea Wally, It sounds like the ball we used in Vegas this year. I liked the way it played, but it kinda got dirty real easy. The dirty/chalky look made me paranoid of object ball skids, but I don't remember having any..

plato 17
10-04-2003, 04:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sliprock:</font><hr> Yea Wally, It sounds like the ball we used in Vegas this year. I liked the way it played, but it kinda got dirty real easy. The dirty/chalky look made me paranoid of object ball skids, but I don't remember having any.. <hr /></blockquote>

Plato: Most bar box balls are nothing but worthless pieces of rock from the moon, I hope the fade into history soon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Fred Agnir
10-04-2003, 04:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Thursday we played at a joint on the west side of Hamiltucky. During my first game I noticed the cue ball was drawing easier than normal. Upon closer inspection I noticed an aramith logo. The color of the logo was a light blue-green. Is this the mysterious BCA metal-flake cue ball I have heard of? I asked the captain of the other team where the ball came from. He did not know. <hr /></blockquote>

That's the one we used in the BCA Nationals.

Fred

RedHell
10-06-2003, 09:41 AM
We played league last week with the exact same ball. It was extremely dirty and couldn't get cleaned.

The ball is definetly lighter, I couldn't adjust to the draw I was able to put on it. Every position I played involving draw was overshot !

Wally_in_Cincy
10-07-2003, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Thursday we played at a joint on the west side of Hamiltucky. During my first game I noticed the cue ball was drawing easier than normal. Upon closer inspection I noticed an aramith logo. The color of the logo was a light blue-green. Is this the mysterious BCA metal-flake cue ball I have heard of? I asked the captain of the other team where the ball came from. He did not know. <hr /></blockquote>

So anyway, we played at the same place again last night, different teams. I asked the captain of the other team if he knew where the cue balls came from and explained why I wanted to know.

He said "Oh those are not magnetic, the cue ball is bigger than the other balls" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I did not bother to argue with him. The mystery continues. I suppose I will call the vending company, as if anybody there would actually have a clue LOL

Rod
10-07-2003, 09:14 AM
Wally,

I think that's a common mistake for most league or otherwise bar table players. Rarely is there a big cue ball used, but I'm sure in some places they are still used.

I played with that ball a while back, and then about 3 weeks ago. It is very white and brite. It might appear bigger just because of the color. All Valley balls mark up easily, this one was white. LOl I imagine it marks up too but it's owner keeps it clean. Not a big deal to me, it follows and draws about the same, no real supprises. I didn't compare it shot for shot with the old valley ball. I could if you want me to sometime, he carries it in his case. I felt the new ball tracked better. The old one starts to wonder when it slows. The new one acted more like a normal ball without the moves at the end. To me that is more important than any other factor.

Rod

Fred Agnir
10-07-2003, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I played with that ball a while back, and then about 3 weeks ago. It is very white and brite. It might appear bigger just because of the color. All Valley balls mark up easily, this one was white. LOl I imagine it marks up too but it's owner keeps it clean. <hr /></blockquote>

One thing very noticeable about the new green/blue Aramith Logo bar cueball for the Valley Tables is that it picks up dirt and chalk readily, and sucks them into its pores. Tough to keep clean.

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks they should have partnered with Diamond

Rod
10-07-2003, 09:41 AM
I thought that was just green, I didn't have my glasses on. It may have had more marks and I just didn't notice them. Even the old balls looked like they had blue measles. Terrible stuff, Valley balls and their rails suck big time.

Rod

SPetty
10-07-2003, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> It is very white and brite. <hr /></blockquote>Tough to keep clean.<hr /></blockquote>I wonder if the color of chalk used makes any difference? I've had this ball since I got my table in April(?). Now, granted, it doesn't get a lot of daily use, but I haven't noticed that the cue ball gets abnormally dirty or discolored like they did in Vegas. I keep green chalk available.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-07-2003, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>
.....I felt the new ball tracked better. The old one starts to wonder when it slows. The new one acted more like a normal ball without the moves at the end.....

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

I did not think of it at the time but I played a couple of slow-roll safeties sending the CB about 5 or 6 feet last night and the ball did roll straight. Geez I could get spoiled if this keeps up /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally~~been burned many times by the "wacky" cue ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesemouse
10-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Wally,

I just played for three days with this new cb. It does roll straight and it does get dirty but the trade off is a good one. Valleys are still Valleys but now you can trust the cb to roll straight when it comes to a stop. I only got screwed once during the whole weekend and that was from a grain of sand......If you want your vendor to put these balls in play you have to threaten them, they won't do it on there own...

Rod
10-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Isn't it amazing when you can put the word valley c/b and trust in the same sentence. lol

cheesemouse
10-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Rod,

Yes, it is amazing and I never thought I would say it....LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-07-2003, 12:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>

......If you want your vendor to put these balls in play you have to threaten them, they won't do it on there own... <hr /></blockquote>

Some of the charachters that run the vending companies around here, I don't think you would want to threaten. LOL

Wally~~scared of clowns and Guidos /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cheesemouse
10-07-2003, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>

......If you want your vendor to put these balls in play you have to threaten them, they won't do it on there own... <hr /></blockquote>

Some of the charachters that run the vending companies around here, I don't think you would want to threaten. LOL

Wally~~scared of clowns and Guidos /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Wally,

You're right! Perhaps shame would have been a better word. That Ohio, Indiana, Mich, Tenn and Kentucky area is the last strong hold of the grease balls in the amusement business.....maybe you better just play with whatever piece of crap they provide.....LOL..

ras314
10-08-2003, 01:46 AM
The new mueller's catalog lists a new cb. Sounds like what you describe but claims to have a metal foil rather than metal flake.

Any reviews?

Fred Agnir
10-08-2003, 07:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> The new mueller's catalog lists a new cb. Sounds like what you describe but claims to have a metal foil rather than metal flake.

Any reviews? <hr /></blockquote>

That's the one that we're talking about. Page 85, under <font color="red">NEW</font color> with the green/blue aramith logo.

I think someone on this board mentioned seeing the insides of one of these. It's a regular object ball (must be a second, or aesthetic defect) turned down, wrapped with a layer of metal or metal flake, and then phenolic cast around it.

Fred &lt;~~~ ordering ordering ordering

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2003, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
....Fred &lt;~~~ ordering ordering ordering <hr /></blockquote>

Does this mean you're ordering 3? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1 for use.

1 for your collection.

and 1 for forensic inspection

Wally~~can't wait for the pics /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric.
10-08-2003, 08:25 AM
It's definately the new Aramith magnetic ball we used in Vegas. I managed to..um..borrow one and have played around with it for the past 5 months. It plays not-too-bad BUT as everyone mentioned, it collects ALOT of chalk on the surface. Seems like the chalkmarks tend to throw the OB off line on softer cut shots.

Eric

cycopath
10-08-2003, 03:06 PM
I don't see it on the site yet. And I have the old catalog.

What's the price listed at?

Fred Agnir
10-09-2003, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> I don't see it on the site yet. And I have the old catalog.

What's the price listed at? <hr /></blockquote>

Item #31-430 Tournament Magnetic Cueball
$14.95 (qty:1-2)
$11.95 (qty 3+)

Fred

stickman
10-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I've been trying to locate these. The local hall owner is ordering a couple to try out, and if they work well, he'll have them on all the tables. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif