PDA

View Full Version : How do you rate as a player?

1Time
10-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Hi all. I've been playing 9-ball primarily for 20 plus years at the amature level, mostly for the love of the game. I've infrequently competed in local, small tournaments and consider myself a "run-out" 9-ball player. I prefer regulation tables but am also proficient on bar tables.

I rate myself as an "A-" player. How do you rate as a player?

Chris Cass
10-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Hi 1Time,

Ok, MillerTime Billiards rate me a AAA soon to be AAAA. Leisure Time Billiards rate me an A. If you seen me play the Open you'd say I was a D. Of course there is, no 9ft play here in corn country.

However, as far as rating myself goes. I like to respect my opponent while playing. I never shark nor try to cheat even if I foul and my opponent didn't catch it, I'll give up ball in hand to them. It's also cost me a few tourneys to boot. So, as far as ratings go I rate myself, a Stand Up Player.

Regards,

C.C.~~welcome to the board and make up a name, would ya? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
10-04-2003, 01:43 PM
I know you said it about yourself, but that is about as good a complement as a player can get. Pool is not the hardest thing in the world to do, a lot of players play it well, but not when it counts. I will take a "Stand up player every time." He doesn't have to be the best player, but if a door opens he gets there and it does not matter who he is playing.

Voodoo Daddy
10-04-2003, 02:28 PM
Rate? I dunno...the best way to describe how I play is solid in some spots and weak in others. I have the ability to see way ahead in a game <guess that would be called vision?> but have some brain-freezes when it counts. Thank god I have a job...HAHAHAHA. To answer the question, I have been rated AA in one room and a 8 <15 being the best 3 the worst>...played better years ago before I wrecked my back but I still play a 'lil!!

Voodoo~~~as stand up a guy you'll ever meet, just not very stand up at the table no more /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich R.
10-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Returning; after a 25 year hiatus from pool, my game consists of moments of genius, followed by long periods of total incompetence. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My rating -- Enthusiastic. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
10-04-2003, 04:08 PM
If you saw my play the first week of leagues, I was an "A" player. This week I was an "F". Officailly I have never been rated.

DG - who shot well this week but still lost 5 out of 6

plato 17
10-04-2003, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> If you saw my play the first week of leagues, I was an "A" player. This week I was an "F". Officailly I have never been rated.

DG - who shot well this week but still lost 5 out of 6

<hr /></blockquote> This is a game, it's primary function is for recreation and to produce fun. When I play, I donot allow anything to interfer with that goal, to have fun, so at that, I rate my self a success and a AAA. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
10-04-2003, 04:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> . How do you rate as a player? <hr /></blockquote>

About an "H." Sometimes a "G."

Fred

dg-in-centralpa
10-04-2003, 04:58 PM
I agree. I'm out for fun, recreation, get away from the job, get away from the wife and kid as well. Since I'm not captain this year, I'm having more fun. Now I get to relax and not worry about each game.

DG

Rod
10-04-2003, 05:58 PM
Chris, can I borrow a couple of those A's? Buy doing that I can say I play somewhere between an AAA and K player today. The only thing required to be a K player is a pulse. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't think I've hit a ball for close to 3 weeks. It was a couple of weeks before then that I had played too. Playing twice in 5 weeks isn't exactly being in stroke, it wasn't real purty. LOL Well it did get a lot better but there wasn't enough time left to sort out all the bugs.

So I'll say somewhere around having a pulse to a AAA player. Drill the tough ones and lose focus on an easy one. It's ok though, thats what I get for laying off for so long.

Rod

1Time
10-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Well, obviously a player's rating isn't only in the eye of the beholder. I wasn't even aware actual rating systems existed. I just graded my play on a scale from A+ to F like a grade one would get in school.

And, it never occured to me to rate my character as a player. I'd have to say I qualify as a "Stand-up Player". I value the rules and etiquette of the game, and sportsmanship over winning and losing.

It is a fun game... pool.

Kato
10-04-2003, 07:27 PM
A very average player that likes to hang out with other pool players. I just love the game. Never had great talent for the game but any skill I've aquired I've worked for.

Rating? pretty good for a banger.

Kato

Candyman
10-04-2003, 07:47 PM
These guys didn't say it, but they are a pretty humble lot,also! I haven't met any of them personally, but I can tell you, that they all let their cues do the talking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1Time
10-04-2003, 07:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> These guys didn't say it, but they are a pretty humble lot,also! I haven't met any of them personally, but I can tell you, that they all let their cues do the talking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Candyman. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Sid_Vicious
10-04-2003, 09:48 PM
"A very average player that likes to hang out with other pool players. I just love the game. Never had great talent for the game but any skill I've aquired I've worked for.

Rating? pretty good for a banger."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kato...Dito, I fit that rating too...sid

Brent
10-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Hi. I rate myself as one of the 20 best players in Estonia /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Ralph S.
10-05-2003, 02:49 AM
TAP TAP TAP!!!!!!!!!! Well said Chris. I am with popcorn on this one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ralph S.
10-05-2003, 02:54 AM
That is a tough question to answer honestly 1TIME. I can tell you that I win some and lose some and give it my best. I figure thats all anyone could really ask for. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
10-05-2003, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brent:</font><hr> Hi. I rate myself as one of the 20 best players in Estonia /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. <hr /></blockquote>
But there are only 18 players in Estonia. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

griffith_d
10-05-2003, 08:06 AM
The post says,.."how do you rate",..would this be rated by others or rating myself?

Rating myself, I would say above average good player, (not speaking of the average recreational pool player)maybe a B-, sometimes B. Where I play weekly 9 ball at Slick Willies, I usually finish top 5-6 or in the money(top 4).

When I played in a valley league, I was a 43 average out of 50(5 games, 10 points apiece). I got a few perfect scores during the season, but mainly low 40's, I had one outing of total disaster of an 18(ugh!), the next week was a 50.

Griff

rackmup
10-05-2003, 12:53 PM
Landing a ball on the nose of a beagle or drawing one back to pocket a set-up ball isn't really playing pool.

Being truthful to yourself, you would rate a "AAA" in story-telling and a "D-" as a true pool player (not including your APA accomplishments. Yawn.)

Regards,

Ken

Chris Cass
10-05-2003, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> it never occured to me to rate my character as a player. I'd have to say I qualify as a "Stand-up Player". I value the rules and etiquette of the game, and sportsmanship over winning and losing.
It is a fun game... pool. <hr /></blockquote>

Now you've got it, nothing else matters. When you win, the sport wins, the fans win and it doesn't get any better than that. You won hands down, fair and square.

Regards,

C.C.~~if you post again will you be 2Time? I would of said a 2Timer but that's a little too corney for this cornboy. hahahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
10-05-2003, 01:07 PM
How bout an A, and who ya kiddin? I still want to know why didn't play the open buddy?

Regards,

C.C.~~sweats Fred' matches. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
10-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Hi Rod,

You remind me of this player that comes in and runs a six pack takes my hundy and then says, "Man, I haven't played for 6mths am I rusty." LOL Sorry bud, I don't buy it.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
10-05-2003, 01:13 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.~~thanks Popcorn.

plato 17
10-05-2003, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> Landing a ball on the nose of a beagle or drawing one back to pocket a set-up ball isn't really playing pool.

Being truthful to yourself, you would rate a "AAA" in story-telling and a "D-" as a true pool player (not including your APA accomplishments. Yawn.)

Regards,

Ken <hr /></blockquote>

Here we go again, the typical post from a sick, perverted twisted mind. Once more study this post, does it ask a pool question. Is it pool related. Does he offer any pool advice. What this and his other 1900 posts have been is exactly this, worthless pieces of junk that only take up space and cause problems because all this man does is attack other people. He is the person who is behind all of these wolf names, that is him, attacking people from under his rock, but he is now exposed on this. Do not support such a coward. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

plato 17
10-05-2003, 01:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> A very average player that likes to hang out with other pool players. I just love the game. Never had great talent for the game but any skill I've aquired I've worked for.

Kato, sir, you are just being your usual modest self, of which this is a very admirable thing. I have seen your shoot and you have a wonderful game and posses many advanced strokes. You worked hard for them and you have them and you now know, to get them, there is no short cut to them, practise is the key to them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rating? pretty good for a banger.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

rackmup
10-05-2003, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Kato, sir, you are just being your usual modest self, of which this is a very admirable thing. I have seen your <font color="red">(you)</font color> shoot <font color="red">(when? where?)</font color> and you have a wonderful game and posses many advanced strokes. You worked hard for them and you have them and you now know, to get them, there is no short cut to them, practise <font color="red">(that would be "practice" with a "c")</font color> is the key to them. <hr /></blockquote>

That's some really good suckin' up Larry.

Regards,

Ken (sorry)

Kato
10-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Well then I'd love to know who you are Plato? You could have only seen me in Florida or Virginia. The "Kato Show" don't get out much.

Kato

1Time
10-05-2003, 05:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
C.C.~~if you post again will you be 2Time? I would of said a 2Timer but that's a little too corney for this cornboy. hahahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Oh I know corn too. I grew up in a rural Indiana and agree changing my username after each post would be a bit much... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Scott Lee
10-05-2003, 11:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> These guys didn't say it, but they are a pretty humble lot,also! I haven't met any of them personally, but I can tell you, that they all let their cues do the talking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Lock...Sure you have! You've met me...and you know the truth! I can't play a lick...but I fake it pretty good! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

Ralph S.
10-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Where at in Indiana are you from 1time? I am from and still live there. Ft.Wayne that is.

1Time
10-06-2003, 12:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> Where at in Indiana are you from 1time? I am from and still live there. Ft.Wayne that is. <hr /></blockquote>

I thought you might ask. I'll leave it at this; it's a small farm town about halfway between Indy and Chicago, in the Lafayette area. Go Boilers!

Billy
10-06-2003, 03:00 AM
one should let others give the accolades,monikers,or a rating imo

but I know the need to spend more time behind the cue that's for sure.my game needs work /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
10-06-2003, 06:36 AM
Can someone please list the criteria for the A,B,C,D levels...I really have no idea where I am.

eg8r &lt;~~~Never thought about this before

Rich R.
10-06-2003, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Can someone please list the criteria for the A,B,C,D levels...I really have no idea where I am.

eg8r &lt;~~~Never thought about this before <hr /></blockquote>
You know the old saying, "If you have to ask........" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
10-06-2003, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Can someone please list the criteria for the A,B,C,D levels...I really have no idea where I am.

eg8r &lt;~~~Never thought about this before <hr /></blockquote>

Here's the problem in a nutshell. Everyone across the country has a different view of what these letters mean. In some places, ratings start at A. So, a sucky player is an A, a better player is an AA, and an even better one is AAA.???

I make it analogous to golf (even though golf doesn't have these ratings).

An A player might be your local house pro.

A B player is like a scratch golfer. Good local player. Not going to threaten at the regional "profesional" event.

A C player is your average to above average league player. Wins a lot on Friday nights, since most of the B, and none of the A players play on Friday nights.

A D player likes to play. Lower level league player. Still usually better than the other 39Million people who pick up a stick two Friday nights a year.
--------------------------------------

Then there's the Bob Campbell article that Tom in Cincy posts every so often when this question is raised. I'll add the words in <font color="blue">blue</font color> that are always dropped off:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SactownTom:</font><hr>
9-Ball Tournament race to 7 (Dec.1997 "All About Pool" magazine, article by Bob Cambell)
Handicap rankings
(pardon my poor para-phrasing)

D- Player
will not run a rack
average run is about 3 balls
with ball in hand, will get out from the 7, one out of 3 times
rarely plays a successful safe

C-Player
will probably run one rack, but usually not <font color="blue">more than one</font color>
avg. run is 3 to 5 balls
with ball in hand, will get out from the 7, two out of 3 times
mixed results when playing safe
inning ends due to botched position, missed shot or attempting a
safe.

B-Player
Able to run 1 to 3 racks
avg. run is 5-7 balls
with ball in hand will get out form the 5, 2 out of 3 times
most of the time a "B" player will play a "safety" which maybe hit
easily 2 out of 3 times
a typical inning will end with a missed shot, a fair safety, or a
won game

A-Player
will string 2 to 3 racks
avg. ball run, 7-9
with ball in hand, will be out from the 3 ball, 2 out of 3 times
typical inning will end with a well executed safety or a win.

OPEN-Players
average 8+ balls
string racks together more than once in a match
is a threat to run out from every ball, from every position, every
inning
typical inning will end in excellent safety or win

Mr. Cambell continues this article with a handicap chart for the 4
levels of each type of player. The chart would look like this;
Lowest handicap is D4, then D3, then D2 and so on until the highest
would be OPEN 1

I fall into the C2 range if I had to use this chart, but I guess some of
my opponents would say I was in the B3 range, and some would say I was
closer to D2.

Where do you think you fall?

Tom
---------------------------------------

Hope that might shed some light on something. Bob Campbell is from New England, so I can report that the New England tours pretty much agree with these general statements. I suppose we can nitpick the term "avg. ball," but I think most people get the idea.

Fred

Optimus_P
10-06-2003, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SactownTom:</font><hr>
9-Ball Tournament race to 7 (Dec.1997 "All About Pool" magazine, article by Bob Cambell)
Handicap rankings
(pardon my poor para-phrasing)

D- Player
will not run a rack
average run is about 3 balls
with ball in hand, will get out from the 7, one out of 3 times
rarely plays a successful safe

C-Player
will probably run one rack, but usually not <font color="blue">more than one</font color>
avg. run is 3 to 5 balls
with ball in hand, will get out from the 7, two out of 3 times
mixed results when playing safe
inning ends due to botched position, missed shot or attempting a
safe.

B-Player
Able to run 1 to 3 racks
avg. run is 5-7 balls
easily 2 out of 3 times
won game

A-Player
will string 2 to 3 racks
avg. ball run, 7-9

OPEN-Players
average 8+ balls
string racks together more than once in a match
is a threat to run out from every ball, from every position, every
inning
typical inning will end in excellent safety or win

Mr. Cambell continues this article with a handicap chart for the 4
levels of each type of player. The chart would look like this;
Lowest handicap is D4, then D3, then D2 and so on until the highest
would be OPEN 1
<hr /></blockquote>

according to this ranking i would prolly be a C. in my personal reflection i am an average player.

cycopath
10-06-2003, 08:44 AM
"C", senor.

pooltchr
10-06-2003, 08:50 AM
I never really thought about this question. I play to win and probably win more than I should with some good luck and some good rolls. I play to have fun. I have won a few tournaments and gone two and out in some. I do all right and I have a good time. If I had to rate myself, I would say a good person and an average player...which, for me, is better than the reverse.

Candyman
10-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Hey Scott! Sure I know you. I was talking about the guys that had rated themselves. You just confirmed my statement, that these guys are a pretty humble lot. Quote Scott: "I can't play a lick, but I fake it pretty good." Yea right!!! You give the word humble a whole new meaning. You have forgotten more about pool than I will ever know. Thanks to you though, pool is "in my blood." Let me know when you get back to NC. Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
10-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Thanks Fred. Based on that, I am a C player on most nights and a strong D on all the others. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

road runner 711
10-06-2003, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote plato 17:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> Landing a ball on the nose of a beagle or drawing one back to pocket a set-up ball isn't really playing pool.

Regards,

Ken <hr /></blockquote>

Here we go again, the typical post from a sick, perverted twisted mind. Once more study this post, does it ask a pool question. Is it pool related. Does he offer any pool advice. What this and his other 1900 posts have been is exactly this, worthless pieces of junk that only take up space and cause problems because all this man does is attack other people. He is the person who is behind all of these wolf names, that is him, attacking people from under his rock, but he is now exposed on this. Do not support such a coward. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Rack em up, why can't you take advice, just quit attacking people, did it ever occur to you the purpose of this board is to talk pool, it was not created for you, for your to carry on your little revenge hate trips. You are going to too many of those nazi party meetings I hear you belong to, they are getting you all stired up, son, you need to cool it bad, before somebody gets hurt here, and it just might be you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

road runner 711
10-06-2003, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Well then I'd love to know who you are Plato? You could have only seen me in Florida or Virginia. The "Kato Show" don't get out much.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

If you need a new signature, just call up rack em up, he is now using about 9 wolf names, Blew,boar, blue, he will gladly give you one of his false identities he hides under his rock with, some of them are now hot and he's put them on the lamb. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
10-06-2003, 11:47 AM
What exactly does this post have to do with me? I didn't say I was changing my screen name there Captain Rocket Scientist.

Kato

1Time
10-06-2003, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SactownTom:</font><hr>
Handicap rankings

B-Player
Able to run 1 to 3 racks
avg. run is 5-7 balls
easily 2 out of 3 times
won game

A-Player
will string 2 to 3 racks
avg. ball run, 7-9
<hr /></blockquote><hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Fred for the very helpful post. According to this I fall between an A and B, and closer to an A than a B. What do you know... that's about an A-. Now if only I played golf as well (I shoot in the mid 80's). By the way a "scratch" golf game would be a zero handicap; that would be sweet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
10-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Geeze Fred,

How long have we been using this "quoted" article to shed some light on rating systems? ... I know it was published in 1997, but did I post that in 1997 or later?

Kinda nice seeing my posts quoted... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
10-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Faking it my A$$... Scott can give most of the CCB regulars, the "orange Crush" (except Chris Cass)

Scott practices what he preaches.. and does it very well thank you...

(Have had the pleasure of racking a lot for Scott)

Scott Lee
10-06-2003, 08:20 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Psssssst!!!! Tommy...Don't tell EVERYBODY! ROTFLMAO!

griffith_d
10-06-2003, 08:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> [
I can't play a lick...but I fake it pretty good! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

If you can't "play a lick",...then I cannot even rack good.

Griff

Chris Cass
10-06-2003, 11:15 PM
Hi Tom,

I wouldn't turn him down. His rack is tough to fade though. Yep, I crushed the rack as hard as I could and still was unable to hit a rail with any ball. hahahahahaa /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, I love the man. He's the nuts....sure would like to get him some business by me. I might run an add, maybe he'd do a clinic or something? hummmmm?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.

Ralph S.
10-07-2003, 02:43 AM
Hey Tom, the first time I met Scott I became inastantly humbled as I learned a very great deal from him. In fact, I am his original rack boy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif In fact, I became so good at racking, I actually learned how to sh$t rack so I have a chance against him on his next visit.LOL. Ohhhh Scottttt I am waiting. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
10-07-2003, 06:41 AM
hmmm. Just know what I am working on to get better at pool. I think I am getting better, with a long way to go.

Laura

SteveFromNY
10-07-2003, 07:28 AM
I was rated a d about a year ago but I can consistently run about 4 to 5 balls usually and for the most part, I can play position well. I'm trying to get to the level of at least "b" before the new year.

Leviathan
10-07-2003, 01:30 PM
'Lo, Popcorn. You say that a lot of players play pool well, but not when it counts. You say that a standup player "...doesn't have to be the best player, but if a door opens he gets there and it does not matter who he is playing."

I think you're talking about a kind of courage. It would be interesting to hear more from you (and others) on this subject, maybe in a new thread. For example, do you think one can learn to be a standup player, or do you think this quality is a more basic part of one's personality? Also, is it the same thing as self-confidence (or focus, or killer instinct)?

DM

phil in sofla
10-07-2003, 02:15 PM
HA!

Nick Danger (Third Eye): 'What kind of fool do you take me for?'
Rocky Roccocco: 'First class!'

Let me be the first to mention your obvious highest possible Open ranking (as an SL-7, the most powerful rating in the world today, able to blow a rack clean off the table).

AND, your clear deserving of the CCB Tournament Keith McCready award, able to drink several microbreweries dry before turning to SHOTS! and still coming in to place or show!

These are not average things, but the stuff of legends. In fact, if you ever master the blind back cut, look out world, or at least, look out, Favio Petroni, who is already on record saying, 'I no lahk.'