PDA

View Full Version : Gambling with friends

Ralph S.
10-05-2003, 03:28 AM
I was playing a friend of mine some sets of nine ball Saturday evening. He is a good player, slightly better than me. Usually we play cheap sets. For some reason he wanted to play a little larger than normal, so we play fifty bucks a set.

The only problem that I had with the dollar amount is that he usually has little or no money at all. He lives in his vehicle since he his homeless. I usually give him a few bucks for gas, buy him a pack of smokes and occasionally buy him a meal when he is on the skids.

I agreed to play him although I was reasonably certain he was playing on air. This was confirmed when I seen him borrow money to play me these sets. At one point, I had him down three sets. I knew he couldnt afford it so I let him play back to even without saying anything to him.

When he finally got back to even four hours later, I was wanting to call it quits since I was getting very tired and also knew he was playing on air. He became a bit upset when I told him I was done. Did I do the right thing, or should I have done things a little differently?

I have been wondering ever since I got home and it is bugging me a bit.

Rich R.
10-05-2003, 06:27 AM
I've done the same thing myself, right or wrong. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jjinfla
10-05-2003, 06:55 AM
Find a new friend.

Jake

nhp
10-05-2003, 07:05 AM
He's not your friend if he wants to make money off of you. It sounds like he is more of a friendly accquaintence (spelling?). When it comes to gambling with friends, as in people I know pretty well or hang out with at the PH, I don't do it, not even for 5 bucks. A few good friends I have now actually when I first met them I played them cheap sets, and after winning I didn't take their money (I only won between $10-$30). After that we became good friends and never played each other again.

Sid_Vicious
10-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Ralph...You did good, because it felt right to you. Your guy sounds like some people I know, they're gonna give their money away to someone, but I would have been like you...no satisfaction in my taking it. The money doesn't mean that much to me, call me a sucker if you must. I'd suggest that you keep the future sets with this guy cheap, easier that way...sid

Qtec
10-05-2003, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I knew he couldnt afford it <hr /></blockquote>

Knowing this, you should not have played him.

You cant win.

Q

Ralph S.
10-06-2003, 12:20 AM
I have decided after reading the responses so far, that I will stop playing him for money. I would think this probably the best way to keep him from getting in too deep. As far as helping him out now and then, I dont really know what to do. I kind of get the feeling that he almost expects it now.

Ralph S.&gt; wears his heart on his sleeve. a bad thing to do sometimes.

Qtec
10-06-2003, 01:45 AM
You might see him as a friend, but does he see you as a friend? Or a soft touch?

Q

HalSmith
10-06-2003, 06:11 AM
I don't think you should call this bum a friend, a friend doesn't do that to a friend. As far as gambling with a friend we play for a buck a game. No one gets hurt and you can still joke around and have fun.---Smitty

griffith_d
10-06-2003, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> I have decided after reading the responses so far, that I will stop playing him for money. <hr /></blockquote>

That's it,..just tell him you will kick his butt for free!

Griff

Optimus_P
10-06-2003, 07:33 AM
as far as gambling w/ friends goes. i dont mind but i wont go for anything higher then 20$ or a grand total of 50$ for a total loss.

people act differently when they lose money so you just kinda have to feel it out and know when enuff is enuff. when the jokes and smiles stop thats usually a good time to call it quits and let the winner buy a round or two.

stick8
10-06-2003, 10:10 PM
wow: if that is one of your friends, i would hate to see your enamies!!!!he dont have any money, and you are still going to shoot him for $50.00 sets?that guy smart you are the dume one lo lo lo !!!!!1111

Chris Cass
10-06-2003, 11:02 PM
That wasn't very nice to say. Maybe you should rethink your replys? Ralph is not the kind of guy you'd stiff. He is the kind of guy you'd be happy to call a friend. He's Stand Up, no doubt. It's a shame some people take advantage of a situation. Quiting while he was tired shows smarts and his friend knew this and was thinking he probably had the upper hand. More than likely, the guy was being backed and thought he had a chance to walk with a bone or two.

I have friends who I'll gamble with too. It's not that were not friends but we seperate the two. Gambling being one thing and friendship being another. I also have some friends I won't gamble with. Not because I'd lose but because they feel differently about gambling. I think he did the right thing. After all, anytime you go to a tourney with a friend, don't you ever end up playing them? That's a given.

JAT,

C.C.~~I hear Ralph can pick up 5 pool balls in one hand off the table. Do you think he's worried about being stiff'd?

9 Ball Road Pro
10-07-2003, 12:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stick8:</font><hr> wow: if that is one of your friends, i would hate to see your enamies!!!!he dont have any money, and you are still going to shoot him for $50.00 sets?that guy smart you are the dume one lo lo lo !!!!!1111 <hr /></blockquote>

Tell me about it, the guy has no money, so you finance him so he can beat you, and you wonder if that was the smart thing to do? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ralph S.
10-07-2003, 02:27 AM
9ballroadpro.... I didnt loan him any money to play me. I am a very experienced gambler. Card games are my specialty. I have one main rule I never break when I gamble. That is rule is to never play against your own money. Period.

Ralph S.
10-07-2003, 02:30 AM
Hey there Cassman, great to see and hear ya up and around. I didnt know that you were aware that I can actually pick up 5 billiard balls in one hand. Has Scott been letting out secrets again? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif LOL, any way is always great hearing from you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8 ball ho
10-07-2003, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> 9ballroadpro.... I didnt loan him any money to play me. I am a very experienced gambler. Card games are my specialty. I have one main rule I never break when I gamble. That is rule is to never play against your own money. Period. <hr /></blockquote>

You don't know nothing about gambling if you ever let any one play you on their nerve, that makes you out a dumb chump. You dont play a game until you see the money come out of the guys pocket and get stuffed into the pool pocket. When his pocket becomes empty, you quit playing. Until you learn that basic 101 lesson, you ain't no bank, you are a chump and sucker. Nothing but a mark. If the guys want's to play you for 50, you say sure, show me your 50, if he can't, you tell him to run down to the bank. If you want to gamble with your friends, soon you will have no friends.
When I see a cute guy I may want to go to bed with, I never gamble with him, I even let him win, even though most of the time I could beat him easily. Men's egos are so fragile that any time a woman beats them at pool and God forbid, for money, and their pals see them go down in defeat, the guy usually runs out the door in discrace and moves to Baffin Island. Men, you can't live with them, you can't live with out them. We call you pecker brains. That is where your brains really are, in your, oh well, you know where? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
10-07-2003, 12:37 PM
Say Ho,

You can call someone a pig or whatever for a blonde joke. Now in your opinion all men are pecker heads. Then you as much as prostitue yourself and come back with other uncalled for remarks. Why don't you wipe the dripping white stuff off your chin and dump the Ho, HO. You never know people might take you a little more serious. ya think?

8 ball ho
10-07-2003, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Say Ho,

You can call someone a pig or whatever for a blonde joke. Now in your opinion all men are pecker heads. Then you as much as prostitue yourself and come back with other uncalled for remarks. Why don't you wipe the dripping white stuff off your chin and dump the Ho, HO. You never know people might take you a little more serious. ya think? <hr /></blockquote>

Let's get some things straight, I am not for sale, never have, never will, I do it strictly for fun, don't you too?
It's you guy's who are the real ho's, you run around like mad dogs trying to nail everything with a pulse. Most of you would screw a snake if somebody would hold it's head, then you call us ladies ho's. You are the real ho's, and your double standards. You get to be real ho's and we are supposed to run around like the virgin Mary. Not all men are pecker brains, now and then I run into one that is civilized, you just rarely find one in a bar or pool hall.

I don't do BJ's boys, you want that, go hire a real pro.

I own a business have have a lot of money invested in it, do you own anything pecker brain? I have a masters degree, did you get out of high school pecker brain? Pecker brain, I do not care if you take me serious or not, your opinion means absolutely nothing to me. You are just another knuckle dragging ape who cannot stand a woman acting just like you do, that is the problem. How does that feel, that is what you do to women. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

cycopath
10-07-2003, 01:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8 ball ho:</font><hr>I don't do BJ's boys, you want that, go hire a real pro.<hr /></blockquote>
In the words of comedian Chris Rock:
"They still make you?"

Scott Lee
10-07-2003, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> That wasn't very nice to say. Maybe you should rethink your replys? Ralph is not the kind of guy you'd stiff. He is the kind of guy you'd be happy to call a friend. He's Stand Up, no doubt.

C.C. [ QUOTE ]
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ditto!...times 10!

Scott

Eric.
10-07-2003, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8 ball ho:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Say Ho,

You can call someone a pig or whatever for a blonde joke. Now in your opinion all men are pecker heads. Then you as much as prostitue yourself and come back with other uncalled for remarks. Why don't you wipe the dripping white stuff off your chin and dump the Ho, HO. You never know people might take you a little more serious. ya think? <hr /></blockquote>

Let's get some things straight, I am not for sale, never have, never will, I do it strictly for fun, don't you too?
It's you guy's who are the real ho's, you run around like mad dogs trying to nail everything with a pulse. Most of you would screw a snake if somebody would hold it's head, then you call us ladies ho's. You are the real ho's, and your double standards. You get to be real ho's and we are supposed to run around like the virgin Mary. Not all men are pecker brains, now and then I run into one that is civilized, you just rarely find one in a bar or pool hall.

I own a business have have a lot of money invested in it, do you own anything pecker brain? I have a masters degree, did you get out of high school pecker brain? Pecker brain, I do not care if you take me serious or not, your opinion means absolutely nothing to me. You are just another knuckle dragging ape who cannot stand a woman acting just like you do, that is the problem. How does that feel, that is what you do to women. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

FL accuses Ken and Wally of being transvestites, then uses 8 ball Ho as his latest "secret" handle? This is getting too weird.

Eric &gt; any relation to Westward Ho?

Scott Lee
10-07-2003, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
FL accuses Ken and Wally of being transvestites, then uses 8 ball Ho as his latest "secret" handle? This is getting too weird.

Eric &gt; any relation to Westward Ho? <hr /></blockquote>

It wouldn't be the first time! Remember "sweet l'il ole Sarah Lee, from Texas"? LOL

Rod
10-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Isn't it grand, a woman with a business and masters degree yet calls herself 8 ball Ho. ha ha ha How to win friends and influence people! Go on back to what you do best!! Wipe off your chin.

cycopath
10-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Well "she" never said what her business is.
Maybe "she" is a "ho".

Qtec
10-07-2003, 02:11 PM
She's got the mouth for it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Popcorn
10-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Don't gamble with him anymore. It can't come to any good.

Ralph S.
10-07-2003, 04:44 PM
8ballho......What I would like to say in response would get me thrown off CCB permantly. So I will give you this response. You are wanting to ridicule me, yet you dont know me. You want to trash my game, yet you have not seen my game. You are now picking on my freiends here at CCB, that is where I draw the line.

You said that you have this and that and own this and that. Well, then you should be able to make Louisville, Ky. in January for the Derby City Classic. Consider this an open challenge..... 9 ball race to 11 the loser leaves CCB "PERMANANTLY" Be there, if you have the nuts thats is.

cycopath
10-07-2003, 07:20 PM
The line has been drawn in the sand.

plato 17
10-07-2003, 07:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8 ball ho:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Say Ho,

I own a business have have a lot of money invested in it, do you own anything pecker brain? I have a masters degree, did you get out of high school pecker brain? Pecker brain, I do not care if you take me serious or not, your opinion means absolutely nothing to me. You are just another knuckle dragging ape who cannot stand a woman acting just like you do, that is the problem. How does that feel, that is what you do to women. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Eric &gt; any relation to Westward Ho? <hr /></blockquote>

Well what can I say, the band is all here, Scott lee and the kid from brooklyn that has more alias's than al capone.
What is his wise advice, he's every where, he's every where. The sky is falling, FL's are coming out of the wood work, they are every where.
Every newbie that comes on this board is now FL, YOU GUYS HAVE TO GET A GRIP HERE FAST, WHOOPS, WAS THAT A PLAY ON WORDS OH PARANOID ONES. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8 ball ho
10-07-2003, 08:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> 8ballho......What I would like to say in response would get me thrown off CCB permantly. So I will give you this response. You are wanting to ridicule me, yet you dont know me. You want to trash my game, yet you have not seen my game. You are now picking on my freiends here at CCB, that is where I draw the line.

You said that you have this and that and own this and that. Well, then you should be able to make Louisville, Ky. in January for the Derby City Classic. Consider this an open challenge..... 9 ball race to 11 the loser leaves CCB "PERMANANTLY" Be there, if you have the nuts thats is. <hr /></blockquote>

Why should I COME to you, you COME to me. You come to Key West, we will see who can dive the deepest with out a tank, loser gets off the board. Divers do do it deeper. Since you think I am the larry guy, then go play him, you know where he is. He said none of you can run 3 balls, remember, is that why you are all picking on a poor little old girl like little me, because none of you can beat him? Come on boys, face up to it, none of you can beat any body, that is why your sitting behind your computers now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ralph S.
10-07-2003, 10:05 PM
8ball ho.....I never accused you of being Fast Larry. Whether or not you are him, I could care less. You are the one degrading me and everybody else. A challenge was issued and you are already trying to find a way out of it.

Like I said, you have no guts.

8 ball ho
10-08-2003, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> 8ball ho.....I never accused you of being Fast Larry. Whether or not you are him, I could care less. You are the one degrading me and everybody else. A challenge was issued and you are already trying to find a way out of it.

Like I said, you have no guts. <hr /></blockquote>

Ralph, a lot of people are getting sick of being called this Larry guy, every time somebody says something you guys dont like, oh there goes Larry again. Talk about a bunch of people running around with their heads up their tails.

Ralph, you dont have to have a pair of balls to have guts, I have as much guts as you do. I issued you a challenge, come to Florida, see who can make the deepest free dive. Let's see if you can get down below 60' and make it back up to the surface without dying in the process. You come play my game, if you have the guts. In my game, you can die if you do it wrong, now who has guts and who does not have guts here.

It's ok for you guys to make jokes about me and women and degrade us, but let me turn it around on you and Lord Almighty, mount the horses, pass the swords.

Ralph, I am not going 2 blocks out of my way to play you at anything. Your little macho pool challenge was typical of your weak male mentality. I know I can beat all of you league players, I don't have to drive half way across the country to prove that. The only league players who ever beat me are the 7's, the rest of you guys I can take down when and where I please. None of you guys posting are 7's, I understand most of you are 4's, so much for your challenge. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

How about you knock off the blond jokes, I am a blond, and knock off degrading comments about women. Posting on an open form I have [censored] dripping down my chin, are you macho men proud of that response. My I remind you the watchdog who reports these things on the board is a female and the person who runs this board and is responsible for banning people at Billiards Digest is also a female. Keep up the female bashing and the [censored] jokes and see what happens to you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ManlyShot
10-08-2003, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8 ball ho:</font><hr>How about you knock off the blond jokes, I am a blond, and knock off degrading comments about women. <hr /></blockquote>

Plato_17, you just signed off and signed back on as 8 Ball Ho. Do you ever get mixed up in your handles?

ManlyShot

bolo
10-08-2003, 09:37 AM
"Ralph, a lot of people are getting sick of being called this Larry guy."

I agree, as far as billiard posting boards go, that would be the ultimate insult, to be compared to, or worse accused of being that moron. I have seen his pathetic show, I just wonder how much he has to pay them to let him put it on, what ever it is, it isn't enough. He really gives pool a bad name.

plato 17
10-08-2003, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> Quote

I agree, as far as billiard posting boards go, that would be the ultimate insult, to be compared to, or worse accused of being that moron. I have seen his pathetic show, I just wonder how much he has to pay them to let him put it on, what ever it is, it isn't enough. He really gives pool a bad name. <hr /></blockquote>

Why bolo, I have seen your pathetic show as well and you also give pool a bad name. Why don't you and fl both go jump off of a bridge and do pool a favor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Danny D
10-08-2003, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> Quote

I agree, as far as billiard posting boards go, that would be the ultimate insult, to be compared to, or worse accused of being that moron. I have seen his pathetic show, I just wonder how much he has to pay them to let him put it on, what ever it is, it isn't enough. He really gives pool a bad name. <hr /></blockquote>

Why bolo, what A lovely and nice post, so positive, so pool, so you. If one goes back and views all of y9our past posts one see's that you are one of the top pricks and nasty posters on this board. A total A hole. Since you are now going to be a critic, tell us who you are, what do you do, what qualifies you as an expert on this subject. What do you sell and peddle, what is your vested interest here, there is one of course there is.

I bet you just sat down and tried to come up with something to trash fl, why trash a guy who is not on this board, go to the board he is on and trash him there, why plague this board with these attacks. I bet you have never even seen the guys show and you just made up that trash. If you did, then tell us when and exactly where, you saw this bad show being performed. By the way, I am told the trick shot people including fl, get between $2500 and $5000 to perform one of these shows. I can see how somebody standing in a booth selling bar stools could get quite jealous over a guy making more in an hour than you do in 3 days. Bolo, none of these guys work for free, including fl. Get a life, your a joke your self. If you cannot say something good about any entertainer out there, then you should say nothing.

ManlyShot
10-08-2003, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Danny D:</font><hr>If one goes back and views all of y9our past<hr /></blockquote>

That's it, Danny D. Log out as Plato_17 and then back in as Danny D.

One should go back and look at all of Plato_17's, Danny D's, and 8 Ball Ho's posts and see the same grammar and misspelling similarities.

ManlyShot

magicman
10-08-2003, 12:02 PM
I read this thread and one of the best pieces of advice was if you gamble with your friends, you will have no friends. That one is so true. You are playing for a buck a game and everything is cool, then your pal wants to play for 20 or 50 and you clean him out. He now hates you and has nothing to do with you. It's a no win situation. What are you supposed to do, dog and dump so he can get back even, and how do you know he will do that for you. Keep your games with pals for chump change, buck a game, at best a beer, keep it very casual and friendly.

If you want to hone your gambling skills, do it with people in your room you are not close friends with and do not intend to cultivate a future friendship with. Do this and you will avoid a lot of hurt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Eric.
10-08-2003, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Danny D:</font><hr>
I bet you have never even seen the guys show and you just made up that trash. If you did, then tell us when and exactly where, you saw this bad show being performed. <hr /></blockquote>

I have.

Valley Forge in 2000 &amp; 2003. FL is not that impressive. This year, I stood and watched for about 45 minute while FL floundered around with various Masse and semi Masse shots, struggling and in some cases never making the shot. What's even funnier is the red lines he has drawn on his ferrule to "help" him aim.

I don't even do trick shots, but I would love to challenge FL to a "Stroke" Trick Shot match-up for the Dinero and have a crack at the TASA "World Champion Title".

It would be the highlight of my APA SL4 career.

not-so-Fast Eric

cueball1950
10-08-2003, 01:13 PM
you call all men dogs. Then let me say this. What do they call female dogs. You know the word. It starts with B and ends with An H. Well if you B#####S stop running around with your tail in the air and in heat then US MEN would not be running around chasing you.....nuff said. If i have offended any other females it was not intended. Mainly since the other women on here are REAL LADIES.......mike

bolo
10-08-2003, 06:10 PM
At first I thought you did this thing here with all the different names and stuff, to goof on people. I think now maybe you can't help yourself, your are sick in some sort of way, what else could explain it. As far as your show, I have seen it. All I can say is, I was embarrassed for the dog.

Barbara
10-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Come to the Super Billiards Expo next March and let FL know what you really think of him.

It's amazing that he goes on these diatribes against people and that he's a public performer.

I guess 2+2 doesn't add up for him.

Barbara

Ralph S.
10-09-2003, 02:06 AM
I find this somewhat amusing for the fact that if you actually read what I posted I never made the statement about stuff dripping from your chin. I also never accused you of being Fast Larry. I do however suggest that you take a course in reading comprehension and maybe you will then realize this.

As far as the challenges go, you claim to be able to whip anyone on the board. You are sadly mistaken and that is a very bold statement considering some of the company that posts on this forum regularly. I also suggest you wake up from the dream that you are currently in and get yourself a reality check.

RUNaRAK
10-09-2003, 09:41 AM
The "Ho" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif does not deserve a reply. Let her stay on her own level. Ralph, I never gamble with real "friends." You sound as if you have a heart. Hard to dog a guy for that.

Qtec
10-10-2003, 12:55 AM
Ehm, check my post.

Q

JoJo
10-10-2003, 02:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> The "Ho" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif does not deserve a reply. Let her stay on her own level. Ralph, I never gamble with real "friends." You sound as if you have a heart. Hard to dog a guy for that. <hr /></blockquote>

That has always been my rule as well. I play with 3 guys every week end on Sunday at a local golf course. We play $2 a side, nobody gets hurt. We do the same when we play pool, play for the time. Friends you do not take money off of, everyone should have that rule. Playing for a beer or $2 a side, you will never lose a friend over that.

road runner 711
10-10-2003, 07:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Come to the Super Billiards Expo next March and let FL know what you really think of him.

It's amazing that he goes on these diatribes against people and that he's a public performer.

Barbarba, maybe you are only reading out of one side of your head, you only read what others say about fl, you never read what the evil ones say about him. Do you believe everything in print, every attack as true. Maybe you should not stand for any public figure to be attacked like that, can that be why there are no public figues or pro's left on these boards, is because you people let the sickos go after them and dont have the guts or balls to defend them, or is it you get your cookies off seeing someone better than you get cut down. That has to be it.

I guess 2+2 doesn't add up for him.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>