PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Your Cues(Not An Ad) Question

Sid_Vicious
10-05-2003, 07:59 AM
Here's the deal. I have acquired an array of cues, I like most every one of them but I could basically stand to thin out some. My problem comes when players asking if I know someone wanting to sell a cue like they are in the market, then when I ask for roughly half the price of an internet price for a cue that is in perfect condition, I find that they really want to steal it from me for fifty or a hundred and change, depending on which cue it is. I'm not going to sell that cheap, and I find it insulting that someone would think that I would.

I'm not trying to sell cues, I like them and will keep'em all rather than give them away, it just seems to me that if you need a cue, and someboby has one that is roughly half the cost of retail(not customs), you're getting a deal.

Do you have a specific formula for pricing your well kept cues when you get ready to unload them???sid

ceebee
10-05-2003, 08:38 AM
... I too buy & sell cues. I have been successful in using the Blue Book of Cues as a guide. I show & tell my customers how the VALUE of a Cue can even grow in time, if cared for.

Most retail items have a total diminishing value over time, but not all Pool Cues, because some are actually works of art. And that isn't totally the beauty & workmanship value, it's because their playability makes them valuable too.

Everybody wants a deal, even RICH folks want a deal. Finding suitable ground, in the value for buying & selling of Pool Cues, is the craft of a salesman & the wise investor...

Thats how I play the game... cb

BLACKHEART
10-05-2003, 11:32 AM
I too buy & sell cues. I have been successful in using the Blue Book of Cues as a guide. I show & tell my customers how the VALUE of a Cue can even grow in time, if cared for.

WHEN YOU SAY "the VALUE of a Cue can even grow", you don't mean cues like, production, entry level cues do you?...JER

bolo
10-05-2003, 12:31 PM
A used cue is like a used car, you are buying that cue and it is based on it's actual merits. You need a willing buyer and a willing seller. If the price is too high, you don't have an willing seller and if the offer is too low, you don't have a serious buyer. If it is a cue to be played with by the buyer, they have to play with it and decide if it is the cue to them. If it is, it should just be a matter of a meeting of the minds on the price. I have paid more then a cue cost new that I really liked. I have also seen cues I did not want at any price. I have never had a problem selling a good cue if the buyer was serious.

Jimmy B
10-05-2003, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Do you have a specific formula for pricing your well kept cues when you get ready to unload them???sid <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Sid this seems like a dumb question, only you know what you have into the cue, so only you can set the price. If the cue is new or collectable you have ways to set the price and things to compare it to, but since these are used and you don't care if you sell or not then figure out how much you want (based on what you have into it) and then if a person tries to get it cheaper tell them to go screw. JB

joevan
10-05-2003, 08:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> My problem comes when players asking if I know someone wanting to sell a cue like they are in the market, then when I ask for roughly half the price of an internet price for a cue that is in perfect condition, I find that they really want to steal it from me for fifty or a hundred and change, depending on which cue it is.<hr /></blockquote>

Sid,
If you are asking half of the internet "retail" then you are probably 60% under a pool room resale cost. I will say that if someone wants to pay less they probably want to be a cue dealer to. lol. Remember very few production cues hold their value, actually some custom cues don't hold their value either. Todays market is tough, although I am getting more inquiries than I have been the past few months, hopefully the economy is making a comeback. If you don't like the offer, tell them no thanks. I do it all the time.

Joe

Sid_Vicious
10-06-2003, 07:26 AM
It's the nature of them asking if somebody is selling a cue, like they are in need of one. I can understand that they may not like that particular cue, but for them to wanna whack an already cut in half price again more than another half tells me they don't "need" a cue, they need to steal my cue. Oh well, I don't need to sell anything anyway...sid

John in NH
10-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Hi Sid,

I have three cues that I bought for 50% off of retail, less than two years ago, I'm not trying to sell any of them, but if someone was interested in buying one, I wouldn't hesitate to sell it at my cost, I take good care of my cues and they are in excellent condition, if at some later time someone was interested in buying one I wouldn't hesitate in dropping the price based on the condition of the cue.

Regards,

John

peet234
10-06-2003, 07:29 PM
I've been doing a lot of online research looking for a new cue (especially ebay) and I wouldn't be suprised if some of these people just want to take your cues and resell them. It is a big thing now, everyone looks for a steal so they can make money off it. They just try to make it worth their time. I know a few garage sale stalkers who do just this.

Sid_Vicious
10-06-2003, 07:43 PM
You may be right. Is E-bay publicly traded stock? This venue ain't slowing down a bit, could be a heck of a long term investment idea...sid