PDA

View Full Version : Scott Lee at PettyPoint Pool Hall

SPetty
10-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Scott Lee visited PettyPoint Pool Hall Saturday to give a few of us lessons. CCBers Cayotic Woman, PoolFool, me and my computer-illiterate friend were the students. OnePocketChamp was there to observe (and get his pathetic break speed measured /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), and UTAddb showed up later to play.

Even though I've got no fewer than five clocks on the walls (!), Scott was surprised to see that his lesson had gone almost seven hours! He had made a previous promise to be somewhere else at that time, so he had to hurry away right after the lesson.

The students had only positive things to say about the lesson after Scott left. Without fail, everyone thought it was well worth the time and price for the lessons.

UTAddb showed up and played some pool. OnePocketChamp did a bit of racking for that young man, but then UTAddb did his share of racking for me as the night went on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Of course, now we know why OnePocketChamp isn't known as 9BallChamp… hahaha - just kidding OPC…

I missed having a couple more of the "regular" CCBers there - Spiderman and Sid Vicious most notably absent - but hopefully they'll be able to make the next one. I understand Spiderman was at the APA Regionals this past weekend and I can't wait to hear that he did well.

As is the norm around here, CCBers are a great bunch of people. I'm glad y'all can come over and play, and you're welcome anytime. Can't wait to do it again.

And, of course, Scott, you're welcome anytime. Just drop on in whenever you feel like it. But then you learned that was the truth this time, didn't you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eg8r
10-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Hmmm...Now I am starting to miss all the fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, is OPC going to tell us what he was clocked at? LOL, he has that new super duper breaking cue. When I left, his break had increased a bunch, I just wonder how it is now.

So, CayoticWoman is taking lessons...Watch out APA. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am glad you all had a good time. I wish I could have been there. I know it is a cruddy excuse, but now I have a REALLY long drive.

Has Ken ever made it out to PettyPoint yet?

eg8r

Scott Lee
10-06-2003, 12:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Even though I've got no fewer than five clocks on the walls (!), Scott was surprised to see that his lesson had gone almost seven hours! He had made a previous promise to be somewhere else at that time, so he had to hurry away right after the lesson.

The students had only positive things to say about the lesson after Scott left. Without fail, everyone thought it was well worth the time and price for the lessons.
<hr /></blockquote>

SPetty...FIVE clocks? LMAO! Plus, I was wearing a watch too! However, as many of my students are aware, I get very engrossed in teaching, and outside influences are generally unaware to me! LOL I enjoyed meeting some new CCB'ers as well, and look forward to more get togethers with the DFW CCB crowd. I was only disappointed that I couldn't stay to play with all of you that night! I will see Spiderman this week, and hopefully he can report that he is on his way to Vegas next May, to play in the APA Singles Nationals!

As mentioned, I will be in the DFW area all this week, should anyone be interested in a private lesson. Contact me here,via PM, or email.

Scott Lee

SpiderMan
10-06-2003, 01:36 PM
No prepaid trip for me this season. I played super-hero pace on Saturday and most of Sunday, then had one really bad round about 8 PM last night to get eliminated just before the finals. And there's no third-place reward!

My first round was a bye, then I stunned my next three opponents 5-0, 5-1, and 5-1. Then in the semifinals match I lost 3-5 to the guy that I beat 5-0 (in 4 innings) the previous day /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I guess I was just mentally exhausted for a number of different reasons, and had a lapse where I couldn't make 4 balls in a row.

The format is modified single elimination, so my one loss sent me home.

If I'd won that round I would have played Miguel Jackson for the trip. I believe MJ took third at the APA nationals in 2002, and fourth in the BCA senior nationals. He's a Dallas local, and one of the best. I hope he revenged my loss!

The seeding scheme at APA tournaments is interesting. They seed the brackets so that the highest-ranked 7's play one another on the same board, and the lower 7's and 6's compete in separate brackets. Sort of the opposite from most sports. My league record stuck me on the toughest board this time, I was in the middle last time.

SpiderMan

Rod
10-06-2003, 02:49 PM
Scott,
Thanks for the chain I got indirectly from you. LOL If you don't pass through Phx to fast let me know. Maybe we can hit a few one day. My game sucks but all it can do is get better from here. ha ha ha

Rod

SPetty
10-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Well, sorry to hear that, Spidey. "Super-hero pace" from Spiderman - I'd expect nothing less! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif It sounds like you played real well for the most part.

The ranking thing you said, though, sounds like something I've heard here before that sounded silly to many on the CCB. They have the high ranking 7's play together and the low ranking 7's play together? Did they say that's how it was, or did you just figure it out based on who played who? I didn't like it when I first heard of it, and I don't like it now (not that anyone cares what I like!)

Anyway, third place is awesome, even if there's "no reward". Tell you what - dinner's on me next time we're out somewhere! Or maybe a Friday lunch at Fox &amp; Hound sometime...

Congratulations for a real good showing - condolences that it wasn't quite good enough!

SPetty
10-06-2003, 03:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I know it is a cruddy excuse, but now I have a REALLY long drive.

Has Ken ever made it out to PettyPoint yet?<hr /></blockquote>Hi eg8r,

Actually, that seems like a perfectly good valid excuse for you! hahaha - made me laugh out loud! It is, however, a cruddy excuse for Ken, but one he hasn't used yet... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan
10-06-2003, 04:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> The ranking thing you said, though, sounds like something I've heard here before that sounded silly to many on the CCB. They have the high ranking 7's play together and the low ranking 7's play together? Did they say that's how it was, or did you just figure it out based on who played who? <hr /></blockquote>

Our DFW league operator told me that was how the charts are put together, both at regionals and in 'Vegas. In effect they create "subcategories" within the skill levels. In this case, I believe 4 trips were awarded in the 6-7 category, one each to the winner of the lowest group, then the next, etc. In 'Vegas all the 6-speed players will be seeded at the top of the chart, worst to best, then continuing downward through the 7s.

SpiderMan

Scott Lee
10-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Rod...I hope to be coming through there around the end of the month! You bet I'll stop and play some! Plus, I have to visit my friends Mark Stoller (Stealth Cues) and Jerry Briesath (BCA Certified Instruction program founder), who live in Del Webb communities north of Phoenix! LOL See you soon! Want to play at that same Clicks?

Scott

Rod
10-06-2003, 08:51 PM
Scott, yes same place is good I have some free time. Free time = good time. LOL Will play it by ear, just let me know.

Rod

Ralph S.
10-07-2003, 02:48 AM
Thats it Spetty, I am picking up and moving to DFW. You got an extra bed or room to rent? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-07-2003, 07:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

Our DFW league operator told me that was how the charts are put together, both at regionals and in 'Vegas. In effect they create "subcategories" within the skill levels. In this case, I believe 4 trips were awarded in the 6-7 category, one each to the winner of the lowest group, then the next, etc. In 'Vegas all the 6-speed players will be seeded at the top of the chart, worst to best, then continuing downward through the 7s.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

The APA goes out of their way to give weaker players a chance to win. Sometimes I think they go just a bit overboard /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. The team tournaments in Vegas are also "Modified double-elimination". I think that sucks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But that's the APA's niche and philosophy so that's the way it is I guess.