PDA

View Full Version : Break-and-run-out rates: 9-Ball vs. 8-Ball

Leviathan
10-06-2003, 02:55 PM
How do the pros' runout rates for 8-Ball compare with their runout rates for 9-Ball? (I've never had the opportunity to watch the pros playing BCA rules 8-Ball on 9-foot tables.)

Thanks,
DM

CrispyFish
10-06-2003, 03:20 PM
From what I've seen, the run-out rates in 8-ball are much higher. That's because in 8-ball:

- You're more likely to have an easy opening shot after the break.
- You have more possible paths to a run-out.
- There are often fallback shots if you get out of line.

If you check out the Accu-Stats 8-Ball Invitational tapes, it's basically a run-out contest -- very few safeties. I think you see a lot more safeties in 9-ball.

-CF

cycopath
10-06-2003, 04:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CrispyFish:</font><hr> From what I've seen, the run-out rates in 8-ball are much higher. That's because in 8-ball:

- You're more likely to have an easy opening shot after the break.
- You have more possible paths to a run-out.
- There are often fallback shots if you get out of line.

If you check out the Accu-Stats 8-Ball Invitational tapes, it's basically a run-out contest -- very few safeties. I think you see a lot more safeties in 9-ball.

-CF <hr /></blockquote>
I have a few of the Accu-Stats 8B Inv tapes, and that's basically true about the run-outs and the safeties. Unless there's clusters on the table, then you'll start seeing safety battles. On one tape I have, it's Bustamante and Reyes and there's a couple of clustered balls so they start shooting safety after safety, just slowly adjusting balls until they can get a shot and a break out. Excellent tape.

8 ball ho
10-06-2003, 07:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> How do the pros' runout rates for 8-Ball compare with their runout rates for 9-Ball? (I've never had the opportunity to watch the pros playing BCA rules 8-Ball on 9-foot tables.)

It is easier to break and run out at 8 ball, either on the high end amateur level I play at, or if you are a pro, it's the same. Break them, spread them, run them, no problem. Just be very aggressive. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks,
DM <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
10-07-2003, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CrispyFish:</font><hr> ......If you check out the Accu-Stats 8-Ball Invitational tapes, it's basically a run-out contest -- very few safeties. .......<hr /></blockquote>

I would guess runout percentage was about 80% in that tournament when a ball was made on the break. If the breaker came up dry the incoming player ran out about 80% /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

What was amazing to me was how few clusters there were. I guess I'm used to playing bar table 8-ball where clusters can be epidemic.

RUNaRAK
10-10-2003, 09:16 AM
8ball runouts. Much easier and higher % than in 9ball. 9ball is much more fun IMO and a greater challenge. I still don't run out as many racks of 8 as I would like to.. Does anyone??

<font color="purple"> </font color>

Greg Adams
10-10-2003, 02:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> 8ball runouts. Much easier and higher % than in 9ball. 9ball is much more fun IMO and a greater challenge. I still don't run out as many racks of 8 as I would like to.. Does anyone??

I am not a run out player, but I do like to play 8 ball for an hour then spend my 2nd hour playing 9 ball with my pals.
I am lucky to run one or two racks during a two hour period, but I do run out more in 8 ball than I do in 9 ball which I guess means that game is easier. In 9 ball, it's always the damn 4 or 5 ball you can't get past, there is always one ball you can make, but you can't get shape on the next ball to get out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif