PDA

View Full Version : Shaft questions from a newb

peet234
10-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone,

Would it be crazy to put a nice shaft on a really cheap sneaky pete cue? I have a 15$ import cue but I don't like the shaft or tip size. It will accept Viking or Meucci threads. I want something slimmer, but Predator seems a bit steep. I looked on Barringer.com and thought their shaft sounded great but they don't even want emails til the 15th and are backordered for 2 years. So if anyone has any ideas on affordable, good shafts <$150 that will fit 5/16 by 18 let me know. Yes, you can also tell me if I'm crazy to put something nice on my handy Elminator cue. Gotta like the name...thanks

tateuts
10-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Meucci will make one up for you for about $75 and it will take about 3 weeks. Just call them and order a sneaky pete shaft old style (no red dot). Give them your joint diameter (measure your joint with electronic calipers). They make each shaft up as ordered, so they can make yours exact to fit. Meucci's have good quality shafts with a nice taper.

Chris

tateuts
10-06-2003, 09:13 PM
I would like to add that if you have an Eliminator or other such inferior Chinese sneaky pete, you are better off getting a whole new sneaky pete - like a Dufferin for example. For $75 to $100 you can get a pretty good complete stick.

Chris

Sid_Vicious
10-07-2003, 06:46 AM
I wouldn't add another shaft to the Eliminator, no offense, but it is much easier and economical to buy a whole cue. By the time you get anything ordered, built and shipped to you, you'll find it a learning experience that next time you'd be best off moving to a new cue altogether. Jm2c...sid

Btw, The new shaft may be problems as well. That would suck!

Rich R.
10-07-2003, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote peet234:</font><hr>I want something slimmer, <hr /></blockquote>
If the only thing you don't like about your current cue, is the diameter of the shaft, you may be able to find a cue repair guy, close to you, who will turn it down for you. It wouldn't cost as much as a new shaft.

Then save your money, for when your playing skill and knowledge of cues increases, so you can buy the cue you want.

Fred Agnir
10-07-2003, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote peet234:</font><hr> Hi everyone,

Would it be crazy to put a nice shaft on a really cheap sneaky pete cue? I have a 15$ import cue but I don't like the shaft or tip size. It will accept Viking or Meucci threads. I want something slimmer, but Predator seems a bit steep. <hr /></blockquote>

It is crazy. I suggest getting a cheap shaft.

Go on eBay right now, search for "cue shaft Meucci." You'll find a company selling shafts for $15.95 that fit the 5/16-18 thread. Buy one. Turn it down. Decide which one you like better. Have fun. Play well.

Fred

peet234
10-08-2003, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think those Meucci shafts on ebay are the same one as on my cue and they only come in 13mm. It is a weird fat taper. Anyway, I might see if someone can turn this locally, otherwise, I'll consider a new cue. (Mainly, I guess I'm concerned about fit and the possibility of having to return it and eventually not really being able to use it etc.) Then I'll need more practice to justify the expense...

justbrake
10-09-2003, 03:13 AM
just want to say i have a meucci and helmstetter and my shafts that came with my meucci(black dots) are a little off when i use it with the helmstetter @ the joint!