PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Publishing

Fred Agnir
10-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Let's say hypothetically you were to write a book on some hypothetical subject. How do you go about getting it hypothetically published? Apart from the 'self-publish' method from http://www.Ipublishedmyownbookwithoutaneditor.com

Fred <~~~ hypothetically speaking, of course

Danny D
10-07-2003, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Let's say hypothetically you were to write a book on some hypothetical subject. How do you go about getting it hypothetically published? Apart from the 'self-publish' method from [url=http://www.Ipublishedmyownbookwithoutaneditor.chttp://www.Ipublishedmyownbookwithoutaneditor.com[/url]

Fred &lt;~~~ hypothetically speaking, of course

If this is not a classic case of having too much time on your hands and not knowing what to do with it. Fred, I don't know what you are smokin up there in Mass but fedex me a pound of it immediately, it has to really be good she yeit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

phil in sofla
10-07-2003, 02:35 PM
I think the normal process is to get a literary agent who shops it around to likely publishing houses that have published works in that genre in the past.

However, since the agent may not be successful, and may not earn anything as a percentage of nothing, I would imagine they'd want to be paid, not on a contingency basis, but up front.

I doubt that yourself spamming around unsolicited manuscripts is likely to gain much if any actual consideration of the book on its merits, simply because publishing is a risky business to begin with, and they get a lot of unsolicited MSs tossed through their transoms every day.

Vapros
10-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Fred, this is a long row and a dull hoe. The publishers are mostly doing business only with literary agents, and they are hard to come by. You can't just pick one out and ask him/her to represent you. Everybody in the business seems to want people who have already published successfully. Vicious circle.

All the necessary information on this topic can be found in a two-volume index called the "Literary Market Place". You want Vol. I, which lists all the agents, and their own requirements for submitting a query will be listed under their names, along with address, phone, e-mail address and usually a couple of names of editors. Find out what they will look at and start preparing and mailing. Note I said 'query'. Hardly anyone will accept a full manuscript.

The LMP should be available at your local library, probably behind the information desk. I expect you will have to do your search on the premises. You can't borrow it. Good luck.

Somewhere in Vol. II there will probably be a list of the vanity presses, for self-publication. $$$ and do your own distribution.

Writing is a gas. Publishing is a tough mother.

Keith Talent
10-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Fred,

My old man's a writer with a dozen or so published efforts. Those who tell you to get an agent are absolutely right. For legal and other reasons, almost nobody will read an unsolicited manuscript, though you could enter the various literary magazine contests, if that's your style.

Otherwise, shop your stuff to the agents first.

SPetty
10-07-2003, 04:39 PM
If you're writing a book about anything pool-related, please put me at the top of the waiting list.

You might want to contact socrates and see what he did. Maybe Mr. GreenFeltJungle could help as well. Any other people that we know that wrote a book? Maybe Bob Fancher, oh wait, nevermind /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif