PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Cue Review - KC Custom on E-Bay

tateuts
10-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Since we are often asked about inexpensive cues, I thought it would be a good idea to write up a report on some of the more affordable but unusual imports when I run across one.

A collector friend recommended KC Custom cues commonly sold on E-Bay. KC has an interesting Southwest loook alike. Here's the web site:KC Custom Cues (http://www.pool-cue.com/).

I ordered the KC-5C, a six point Southwest look alike. The cost was $135 including shipping and two shafts. Shipping time took about a week. Naturally for the price, I didn't expect much. Interestingly enough, this is the high end cue. They also offer a number of cues for around $75.

I will say that I am impressed with the workmanship, fit, and finish on the cue - which is excellent. The photos on the site don't do justice to this cue. They are very attractive cues. The points are all ebony with maple veneers. The sharp points give the appearance of a spliced cue, but close examination reveals a CNC milled border that is all but invisible and actually pretty sharp. All the inlay work and ring work is genuine (no transfers). The cue has phenolic linen joint and ferrule. The joint pin is a 3/8 X 12 SW look alike. It even comes with layered tips (which are fine).

I ordered a cue with a medium stained forearm - and I'm glad I did. The birdseye in the forearm is not highly figured, so you want darker stain. The ebony is all real.

This cue is about what you'd expect if you took a Southwest six pointer, sent it to the Orient, and ordered an exact copy. It's as close as you can get to a replica as possible on an assembly line.

OK - here's the lowdown on how they play. The hit is good, the cue is solid. Balance is excellent (at 19 ounces at least). The negative is that the shafts are not properly tapered. The shafts have a constant taper that end in a 13mm tip. This gives you a big, fat, stiff shaft. Yes, real telephone poles. I don't think any good player is going to like the shaft. If you order this cue, the shafts need to go to a cue maker for proper tapering. The good news is that there is plenty of shaft to turn down and taper any way you like. The shaft is more like 13.25 mm to begin with.

So - that's the scoop. Just have the shafts done right and you will have a very nice player and a very nice looking cue at a low price.

Is it better than an entry level McDermott or Joss? As it comes - no, just a whole lot prettier. With a little tweaking the answer, in my opinion, would be yes.

Chris

cycopath
10-07-2003, 07:13 PM
I looked at a couple of these in person and I was impressed by them as well. I thought about getting one for my wife. I didn't get to play with it or feel the shaft, so I can't comment on those aspects. Overall I thought they looked like a really decent cue at an affordable price.