PDA

View Full Version : Gold Crown Tables

04-12-2002, 02:51 PM
I've read some old post on the forum about buying used tables and some people recommend GC I's & II's over other tables. Could someone tell me why the I's and II's are preferred? Don't the older tables have larger pockets making them play too easy?

Pizza Bob
04-12-2002, 03:24 PM
Pocket size can be altered, regardless of table, so that doesn't enter into the equation. Generally the GC I's & II's are recommended because they have dowelled slate, of generally better grade than you get today. Also less use of "engineered" lumber and the real lumber that is used is of beefier dimensions. I understand the cushions used on the I's & II's were also superior to what is being used today, and was used on the III's. The GC IV has many neat features (flush pockets, easy-turn levelers in the feet, multiple levelers under the slate) that addressed some of the problems with the III's. The only bad thing that I've heard about the IV's is that the slate frame is particle board, which means with multiple recoverings (commercial environment) it would get chewed up and may eventually have to be replaced. I think the concensus is that the I's, II's and IV's are OK, but stay away from the III's. JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob <~~~back from the hinterlands