PDA

View Full Version : dots on cueballs

justbrake
10-07-2003, 07:13 PM
why do they put dots on cue balls!, I know why when I use to play billiards,but why pool, in some tournaments i have seen as many as 3 on the cueball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
10-07-2003, 08:02 PM
On the Accustats/BCn TV table at this year's US Open, they used a cue ball that had 6 dots on it. The cue ball displayed the english that the Pros used very well.

I was amazed at the amount of english, and how often, that Efren Reyes put on the cue ball.... by far the most by any pool player I saw.

The spots really did show up well on the TV table, where it was exclusively used.

Optimus_P
10-08-2003, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> On the Accustats/BCn TV table at this year's US Open, they used a cue ball that had 6 dots on it. The cue ball displayed the english that the Pros used very well.

I was amazed at the amount of english, and how often, that Efren Reyes put on the cue ball.... by far the most by any pool player I saw.

The spots really did show up well on the TV table, where it was exclusively used.

<hr /></blockquote>

interesting, i always thought it was used for aiming when practiceing. seriously.

Cueless Joey
10-08-2003, 10:40 AM
They also had these dotted balls in the 3-C tournament in Vegas last August.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2003, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Optimus_P:</font><hr>

interesting, i always thought it was used for aiming when practiceing. seriously. <hr /></blockquote>

They do make those:

http://www.onthesnap.com/products_01/Training_Aids/

road runner 711
10-08-2003, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Optimus_P:</font><hr>

interesting, i always thought it was used for aiming when practiceing. seriously. <hr /></blockquote>

I think the balls are now available in the new Mueller catalog. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They do make those:

http://www.onthesnap.com/products_01/Training_Aids/ <hr /></blockquote>

magicman
10-08-2003, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote road runner 711:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Optimus_P:</font><hr>

I think the balls are now available in the new Mueller catalog. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They do make those:

http://www.onthesnap.com/products_01/Training_Aids/ <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Call me old fashioned or what, but just give me a white ball, I don't want my cue ball covered with dots, it would make me dizzy watching it.

1Time
10-08-2003, 06:59 PM
I've only seen cue balls either without dots or with a single red dot or with a single blue dot. Cue balls without dots of course vary in size and weight. The red dot cue balls I've seen are slightly heavier and perhaps larger than the ones with a blue dot. And the blue dot cue balls seem be closer to the size and weight of the other 15 balls (which also come in different sizes and weights).

The only cue balls I've seen to show the amount of English used had concentric circles on it with crossing lines in the middle.

N8ball
10-13-2003, 08:32 PM
I always thought that the red dot meant that the CB is the same weight and size as the other balls. Now as far as the blue dot......i really dont know. I am pretty sure of the red dot tho, i own one and keep it with me incase i go to a table without one, cause its just a lot nicer to shoot with.....unless of course its a bar table w/ a ball return that i might lose it in /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nate

Fred Agnir
10-14-2003, 06:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote N8ball:</font><hr> I always thought that the red dot meant that the CB is the same weight and size as the other balls. Now as far as the blue dot......i really dont know. I am pretty sure of the red dot tho, i own one and keep it with me incase i go to a table without one, cause its just a lot nicer to shoot with.....unless of course its a bar table w/ a ball return that i might lose it in /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nate <hr /></blockquote> This question comes up every three months or so.

The dots on the cueball are generally just markers so people know what cueball they have. There is no standard to dots or logos on the cueball. Here are several that I know of.

Aramith Champion Red Circle - made to be lighter than the object balls (according to the manufacturer).

Red Circle (generic) - there are reports (from Muellers and others) of a red circle clone that is roughly the same size and weight as most object balls.

Dynamo Red Dot - the heaviest normal size cueball (made for balance-style return systems on old Dynamo bar tables)

Centennial Blue Circle - comes with the Brunswick
Centennial set. Same size and weight as object balls.

Aramith Red Triangle - comes with the Super Aramith Pro set. Same size and weight as the object balls.

Red Aramith Logo - new Aramith cueball. Comes alone from Muellers. Might come with new set of Super Aramith Pro TV Balls. Same size and weight as the object balls.

Blue Aramith Logo - comes with set of Aramith Premiums

Gray Aramith Logo - comes with set of Aramith Stone Collection

Blue/Green Aramith Logo - new bar table cueball that's been all the talk. Close to the same weight as the object balls. Metal foil/flake layer. Works on magnetic return systems. Rolls straighter. Gets dirty quickly.

Centennial Blue Dot - came with the older sets of Brunswick Centennials.

There are so many others including black circle, green dot, and probably yellow moons and green clovers.

Fred

pooltchr
10-14-2003, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> There are so many others including black circle, green dot, and probably yellow moons and green clovers.

Fred
<hr /></blockquote>

You forgot "pink hearts"! LOL

Wally_in_Cincy
10-14-2003, 07:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>

There are so many others...<hr /></blockquote>

One night I found nyself in a roadhouse in Merrillville IN called The Dusty Old Mule. Their cue balls on the coin-ops were smaller than the object balls. That's the first and last time I had seen that.

Fred, I apologize for not stealing one for your collection /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

RedHell
10-14-2003, 09:43 AM
I've seen this in the UK. It play like a ping pong ball and bounce off every object ball like a rocket !

8 ball ho
10-14-2003, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> why do they put dots on cue balls!, I know why when I use to play billiards,but why pool, in some tournaments i have seen as many as 3 on the cueball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Some are dots, circles, various colors of, triangles, they allow you to know who's cue ball you are using, with out that, you would not know a good one from a bad one. A blue circle is a dead ball, a red circle is a hot ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Rod
06-28-2004, 06:58 PM
I use to own an orange dot. lol It wasn't heavy enough to trip the scale on an old dynamo. I still think the Black circle was one of the best. It was very close to a r/c in weight but it stayed clean.