PDA

View Full Version : Kato-APA question

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2003, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>.....Kato~~~had 4 players raised in last years city tournament. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Did your team get DQ'ed?

We get DQ'ed for 3

Kato
10-08-2003, 08:09 AM
Here's what happened Wally.

I had a 6 person team playing at 23 points. On tournament day we beat a team and we only played with 4 players. So, our league operator (who has never liked me) raised my 2 to a 4, one 4 to a 5, one 5 to a 7, one 6 to a 7. Obviously we couldn't play in the second round so we just walked out.

Kato

PS. None of us will ever play APA again.

PSS. The team that came in second in our league (who we torched 2 times during the season) went on to place 7th at Nationals.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2003, 08:15 AM
Well I hate to say this buddy but...whether or not the LO likes you or not it sounds like you guys were under-rated /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .....

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> ..The team that came in second in our league (who we torched 2 times during the season) went on to place 7th at Nationals. <hr /></blockquote>

But I surely don't blame you for not wanting to play APA ever again. I have had that feeling many times. Then I will have a fun night and change my mind again /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-08-2003, 08:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> So, our league operator (who has never liked me) raised my 2 to a 4, one 4 to a 5, one 5 to a 7, one 6 to a 7. Obviously we couldn't play in the second round so we just walked out.<hr /></blockquote>I just know Gene didn't go out quietly!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>PS. None of us will ever play APA again.<hr /></blockquote>I played APA 2x and have never and will never do so again for crap like that.

Kato
10-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Gene actually played and we won but he had to go play in a golf tournament. I talked my other 2 guys into showing up, then one called and didn't so I called Gene back and he turned around and came back after driving for 30 minutes. Then we all waited around for a few hours. I went over to the table where the LO was and he informed me of his decision. We all went over and shook our opponents hands, informed them of our decisions and then 3 of us went back to the LO and gave him back our league cards and informed him that we would never play again.

Kato

9 Ball Girl
10-08-2003, 08:27 AM
Good for you! I know LOs are usually looking to have people sign up to play with the APA which is a cool thing to do, but then, and it happened on the team that I was last on, they raise your handicaps towards the end of the season resulting in not being able to play everyone because we exceed the 23 point limit. In NY, we're not allowed to play the same person more than once so we really get screwed.

Have you thought of joining a BCA league?

Wendy&lt;---say hello to Gene and Frank for me!

plato 17
10-08-2003, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Here's what happened Wally.

I had a 6 person team playing at 23 points. On tournament day we beat a team and we only played with 4 players. So, our league operator (who has never liked me) raised my 2 to a 4, one 4 to a 5, one 5 to a 7, one 6 to a 7. Obviously we couldn't play in the second round so we just walked out.

Kato

PS. None of us will ever play APA again.

PSS. The team that came in second in our league (who we torched 2 times during the season) went on to place 7th at Nationals. <hr /></blockquote>

God how I hate to hear these stories, they make me sick the way those in power in these leagues reward their friends and stick it to those who are of no value to them. Sounds like you got a world class drill job.

Remember the movie, caddy shack, they are going out to play the big tourney for 20 grand, and when they are walking to the first tee Rodney says to the golf pro and ref, keep it honest as he's sliding a wad of bills in the guys pocket.

That is the lesson today sir, and it's not a very nice one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ManlyShot
10-08-2003, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote plato 17:</font><hr>That is the lesson today sir, and it's not a very nice one.<hr /></blockquote>

Do you give lessons, Plato_17? Where do you shoot pool in Athens, Georgia? There are some forum readers who would like to meet you and see how you perform. Let us know when you and 8 Ball Ho and Danny D get together. It would afford us an opportunity to network.

ManlyShot

Kato
10-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Wendy, I'm not playing in a BCA league either. I was playing in a tournament a few months ago and I won a match and the lady approached me about playing on Wednesday which I informed her that I played in a non-handicap "Trophy" league on Wednesday nights with my friends. Of course she told me BCA's would give me better competition and blah, blah, blah. This went on for several hours and I just couldn't take it. I never said a word about it to her, I gritted my teeth and stayed polite. I just decided to not play, it's that simple. If our league folds because of it than so be it. I'll still just get together with my friends at the pool room and it will just be us.

Kato~~~over it

Kato
10-08-2003, 09:40 AM
Plato, wouldn't you say that the APA plan was followed to perfection? Isn't the goal to raise players so teams will split up and they'll bring in more players? The problem wasn't raising us, it's when. Wouldn't it have been better to wreck our team in the 3rd week of the season? Not for our LO, he wanted our $$$$$$. 14 weeks, 5 players, $7 per. That's $490!!!!!!!!!!!!! He flat out robbed us!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm under the impression that the local LO figures sometimes he will lose and more often than not he'll win. In addition, the players around here still think the APA is the only game in town.

I know this is long and I'm still babbling but in this case Plato, you're absolutely right. My team got hosed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato~~~never to be hosed again.

cycopath
10-08-2003, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> 5 to a 7<hr /></blockquote>

Wow, a SL5 jumped to a SL7. What the hell happened, did he break and run out 4 times straight?

Kato
10-08-2003, 12:41 PM
He's a good player, local gambler. He's new to the game, only been playing for about 2 years. The move was warranted, just not at that time. If they would have moved him to a 7 earlier we could have worked around it. The thing is he didn't sandbag, he just never really played all that well without the cash on the line. But he did have a few monster weeks here and there. The 2 to 4 hurt us even worse. When I got moved I was shocked. I got blistered by a player in my first round match, it was our only loss of the round.

Kato

road runner 711
10-08-2003, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> He's a good player, local gambler. He's new to the game, only been playing for about 2 years. The move was warranted, just not at that time. If they would have moved him to a 7 earlier we could have worked around it. The thing is he didn't sandbag, he just never really played all that well without the cash on the line. But he did have a few monster weeks here and there. The 2 to 4 hurt us even worse. When I got moved I was shocked. I got blistered by a player in my first round match, it was our only loss of the round.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

I would hate to run a league, deal with all of those politics. I guess they try to maintain a level playing field and there is a lot of sandbagging that does get caught and adjustments are fair. In your case, it does sound like they went over the dam on you.

Kato
10-08-2003, 12:59 PM
It's one of the many reasons while I'll never captain another team. When I walked back to our spot and told them all the bad news the looks on their faces spoke volumes. I forgot about feeling bad and how upset I was because they were so much more upset. They put in their time, effort, and money. As a pool player, sometimes you get the short end of the stick. Most of them hadn't been through a disappointment like that. Other than Mean Gene, I was the only other person to have been to an APA tournament. I just didn't realize that it would hurt my team's feelings so bad.

Kato

jjinfla
10-08-2003, 02:20 PM
Was that in the Money Cup at the end of the Session kato?

8-ball I take it. That happened to our 8-ball team in 1999 during the playoffs. We came in 2nd in the playoffs but then we got handicapped out. So our team folded. Never went to the Money Cup. Since we didn't go we didn't get any money. probably only $100 for the team though. And we all quit the APA. But I went back last session to play in 9-ball. And will probably only stay in that until the Spring Session just to see how far our team will go.

Jake

Kato
10-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Before I go any further I think I should mention that I don't begrudge APA players or captains or even the system. It is what it is and people have fun doing it. That being said, it isn't for me.

Jake, this was 9-ball and I don't remember anything called a "Money Cup". Of course, that doesn't mean that it isn't the Money Cup or maybe you guys call it something else. To me it's just the city tournament.

For winning our league in the regular season though each player got a whopping $12 or something.

Kato

PS. Jake, I've been on teams in 8-ball that the LO screwed us to. Same LO, didn't like the captain /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cycopath
10-08-2003, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>For winning our league in the regular season though each player got a whopping $12 or something.
<hr /></blockquote>
Did you reinvest yours into commodities, bonds or a 12 pack of beer or something?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jjinfla
10-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Kato,

All we got for winning the league was a plaque. One for the team and one for each player. And of course that entitled us to play in the money Cup which is a playoff of all the top two finishers in the other leagues.

And that is another way they hook you. In order to play in the money cup the teams have to be playing in the next session. So you really are not winning much money - they are just giving some of it back to you if you come out on top.

Now our LO has a laptop with the APA program in it and after every match (in the playoffs)it spits out the paperwork for the next match with revised handicaps. After my first match I got raised from a 4 to a 5. It ain't too easy to keep fooling that computer. Well, maybe my game will fall off in the next few weeks and I will drop back down to a 4. LOL

Jake

Kato
10-09-2003, 06:05 AM
No more getting 'ole Kato hooked. My league is $17 for 17 weeks and a free drink a week. With a BBQ at the end of the season and lot's of free beer. Can't beat that!!!!!!!!!

Kato